“Avoid.”
Review of Leura House

Leura House
Ranked #5 of 10 Leura B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2012

The best aspect of this establishment is that it is clean. The facilities are very tired and the staff grumpy. It started when we first arrived at around 1.30pm only to be told "we don't open until 2pm". Then once you're in the room, there are more signs about what you are not allowed to do, rather than helpful suggestions on how to enjoy your stay. The hot breakfast was cold and on the Sunday only served in a small 1 hour window. The beds are lumpy and uncomfortable. The quilts as thin as paper. The sink in the bathroom and many tiles in the shower are cracked. Avoid.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Kate A

Reviewed 20 September 2012

We were staying in Leura for the night as part of our wedding anniversary celebration. We enjoyed everything except our accommodation, which totally let down the experience.
Just a few of the things we were disappointed with:
- We arrived early evening and were greeted by a snooty receptionist who was more interested in chatting on the phone to a friend than helping us settle in
- It was early September, so quite cool in the evenings. Despite having pre-paid and given our arrival time, the room we were given was absolutely freezing and there was no quick way of getting it warm.
- After a lovely evening out, we arrived back to a slightly warmer room, but then, upon lights out, the room remained bright as it was floodlit by all the lights on outside on the verandah/garden etc. Totally unnecessary and in contradiction to the 'energy saving' messages inside. One I could understand for security/safety of access. But there were about 6!! And if it is deemed necessary, perhaps some heavy curtains or blinds inside the room would be warranted.
- Needless to say a crap night sleep was had by both, compounded by the uncomfortable mattress and lack of blankets.
Definitely not recommended and would never stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SB B
AnnO234, Owner at Leura House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear you did not sleep well, and we are disappointed that you made absolutely no attempts to raise any of your concerns with us during your stay. We would gladly have offered a choice of rooms, or you could have contacted us after hours for any assistance.
When you arrived you were greeted by me - the owner - in the most friendly and courteous way as I like to personally greet all our arrivals. I was not on the phone at this time and you were asked to present your booking voucher and credit card as part of worldwide industry standard check-in procedures. You took extreme offense to this request and I did not take your attitude personally as sometimes guests arrive already having had a bad day. After you checked in to your room I had a phone call from a returning guest who did talk at length about how much they enjoyed their stay and we discussed the details of their next booking. I'm not certain how long you were lingering outside the office listening, however when you physically presented yourself in the doorway I immediately let the other guest know that I would call them back and I did serve you promptly. You inquired about the heating in your room and when I explained how you yourself could regulate it to your satisfaction you immediately snapped and said that you were not stupid. Although your communication was very volatile I accompanied you back to your room to check on the heating myself. Upon touching the heaters I found that they were warm and you had little to say. We left it at that. Had you asked about extra blankets I could have directed you to check the top of your cupboard in your room where they are visibly stored, and should you have wanted even more blankets I would have brought them to you myself. Also, it should be noted our beds are all fitted with electric blankets to ensure your warmth. Upon your departure the following morning I inspected your room, as I inspect all rooms of departing guests, and I found it to be close to a sauna in temperatures. I had to open all the windows immediately.
Concerning lighting, we are happy to confirm our building is fitted with security lights with one flood light over the car park to ensure safety. The room you stayed in is fully draped and yours is the very first suggestion we have ever received about lighting being an issue. Nonetheless we wish you a happy wedding anniversary and we hope that wherever you chose to stay in future you might communicate your concerns more clearly, for although hospitality staff are not mind readers, they always waiting to help when asked.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

My daugher and I stayed in Leura House for a night recently and were most impressed by the kind and warm welcome we received. The house itself has stories to tell if those walls could talk! Our hosts were very helpful and pointed us in the right direction for everything. Breakfast was yummy and the whole family feeling in the place was rounded off with the presence of two of the most beautiful labs. Our room was very comfortable and when the hair dryer did not work, Denise promptly handed us her own - hospitality at its best. I would definitely recommend this house and if I ever return to the Blue Mountains I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Maireadi
Mahden145167, Operator until 31st July 2012 at Leura House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Thank you lovely ladies. We wish you had been able to stay for a couple of nights. Such a shame we won't be there to see you return. So glad you had a nice stay and if you ever need a hairdryer again....... ;)

Cheers

Reviewed 19 July 2012

What a wonderful place to stay. I chose to go away on my own for a quiet weekend away. Denise and Larry were two of the most friendly, kind and hospitable people you could meet. The lounge area had a lovely fire place with gentle labradors helping to make the stay relaxing and calm. The hosts were always willing to chat and to help out in any way. This helped to make other guests feel comfortable and I chatted to quite a few people. Without the host's friendly attitude it would have been just like any other hotel where none of the guests speak to each other. D and L were always willing to help in any way. Breakfast was lovely and everything was definitely value for money. The Victorian style building is well maintained and has old world charm not to mention the beautiful grounds surrounding the house. I would definitely recommend this place and I'm sure I'll be back again. Thank you Denise and Larry!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Annie C

Thank you Annie, for your lovely comment. We enjoyed helping you to be as comfortable as possible. :)

Reviewed 29 June 2012

A group of us stayed at Leura house for the weekend for a Christmas in July weekend. The rooms were overpriced and ours smelt damp and musty.
The Christmas dinner for $55 per person was like something you would get at the RSL for under $10 and the service was begrudging.
The hosts used the guest lounge as their personal drinking spot and we had to put up with the host and his friend drinking andsmoking outside our room in the evening and in the morning. Not very romantic at all. This weekend was memorable but for all the wrong reasons. Go somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank MontyPKC
Mahden145167, Previous operator until 31st July 2012 at Leura House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

The majority of our guests enjoyed their stay with us; however we did get people like yourself from time to time.

Show me the RSL Club where you could get mulled wine, entree, main meal, dessert, discounted drinks and free bottles of wine for less than $10. We'd all flock to the place.

To be sure, to be sure, I wouldn't have thought going to a B&B with a group was romantic.

Run, rabbit, run.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at Leura House for 1 night and we found the house to be beautiful, the rooms large and very clean and the owners lovely and down to earth.

The highlight was breakfast. The owners were so quick and organised in preparing our fry up breakfast and it was lovely. I was very touched also when the owner Larry presented all the ladies at breakfast with a chocolate roses saying that everyday at Leura House was Valentines Day. I loved it. We will definately be back.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank LeesaH2011
Mahden145167, Previous operator until 31st July 2012 at Leura House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2012

Thank you for your wonderful kindness. We put our hearts and souls into the business and hopefully it showed with the way we looked after you, our treasured guests.

We have since ceased operating as the lessee of Leura House, due to safety concerns with the building, which has made it very difficult to conduct our business to the best of our ability. We both hope you find somewhere else in the mountains, on your next visit.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Hello everyone!

We LOVED our stay at Leura House and couldn't recommend it more to anyone wanting a bit of a break from the city (or country, or life)!

The room was delightful and cosy, the view spectacular, and the location just a moments walk to the city centre- which proved immensely convenient.

Denise and Larry were perfect hosts. If you do stay, please take the time to sit down and have a glass of wine with them- they have great stories to tell.

We can not disagree more with some of the ridiculous comments on this site. We like to have a weekend away fairly regularly, and it was so refreshing to finally stay in a place with so much heart. This place is a billion times nicer than any fancy pretentious hotel we've stayed.

We had an absolute blast and will definitely be back there again soon.

5 stars from us.

Clare and Ryan

Room Tip: We had Room 11- highest point in Leura!