“Lovely and Charming”

Ranked #5 of 10 Leura B&B and Inns
Faulconbridge, Australia
“Lovely and Charming”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We recently stayed for a night at Leura House. We loved the beauty of the old building and felt as though we were staying in a part of history. The room was spacious with great furnishings and a beautiful view. We found the host to be very welcoming, we only wish we could have had the time to spend more than one night. We will definitely return. Leura House exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Canberra
Reviewed 17 January 2013

My wife and I recently stayed for one night at Leura House. The building had loads of character and the gardens, even allowing for the mist and rain, provided a great setting. We stayed in one of the standard rooms, but even it had a quaint charm, though it lacked hanging space. The breakfast was tasty and the dining area, which looked out into the garden, was very pleasant.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tony K
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed at this beautiful property on the weekend. It was right after the reports of snowfall, koatic road hazards and power outages in the area. We drove all the way from
Canberra and arrived very late at and didn't know what to expect. As we drove in the gate lights were shining on the melting snow and everything was really quite. We found the lamps turned on in our rooms which were heated and the electric blankets were switched on too. We were so excited we stayed up for a while drinking tea and crept around the verandas to look at more melting snow. We felt like we were somewhere really special. It's a grand old house and after reading some of the previous comments I think anyone who expects a 5 star resort should probably stay somewhere else. I can certainly say that we were comfortable, our bed was comfortable and we slept soundly. There were extra blankets and pillows in the cupboard which we didn't end up needing because we were so warm. In the morning the sunny weather surprised us and we could see the gardens by day which felt like we were discovering something new all over again.
Our family all met downstairs for breakfast where we helped ourself and then were told we'd be served with a hot breakfast also which was unexpected and very delicious. Perhaps my only disappointment was that we could not extend our stay with a late checkout as there was a function booked. We would like to have had this option, but we've decided we'll just have to come back again. It was cosy and inviting our family want to make it an annual event.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank diane d
Reviewed 13 October 2012

The best aspect of this establishment is that it is clean. The facilities are very tired and the staff grumpy. It started when we first arrived at around 1.30pm only to be told "we don't open until 2pm". Then once you're in the room, there are more signs about what you are not allowed to do, rather than helpful suggestions on how to enjoy your stay. The hot breakfast was cold and on the Sunday only served in a small 1 hour window. The beds are lumpy and uncomfortable. The quilts as thin as paper. The sink in the bathroom and many tiles in the shower are cracked. Avoid.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Kate A

Travellers are raving about these Leura hotels

Reviewed 20 September 2012

We were staying in Leura for the night as part of our wedding anniversary celebration. We enjoyed everything except our accommodation, which totally let down the experience.
Just a few of the things we were disappointed with:
- We arrived early evening and were greeted by a snooty receptionist who was more interested in chatting on the phone to a friend than helping us settle in
- It was early September, so quite cool in the evenings. Despite having pre-paid and given our arrival time, the room we were given was absolutely freezing and there was no quick way of getting it warm.
- After a lovely evening out, we arrived back to a slightly warmer room, but then, upon lights out, the room remained bright as it was floodlit by all the lights on outside on the verandah/garden etc. Totally unnecessary and in contradiction to the 'energy saving' messages inside. One I could understand for security/safety of access. But there were about 6!! And if it is deemed necessary, perhaps some heavy curtains or blinds inside the room would be warranted.
- Needless to say a crap night sleep was had by both, compounded by the uncomfortable mattress and lack of blankets.
Definitely not recommended and would never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SB B
AnnO234, Owner at Leura House, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear you did not sleep well, and we are disappointed that you made absolutely no attempts to raise any of your concerns with us during your stay. We would gladly have offered a choice of rooms, or you could have contacted us after hours for any assistance.
When you arrived you were greeted by me - the owner - in the most friendly and courteous way as I like to personally greet all our arrivals. I was not on the phone at this time and you were asked to present your booking voucher and credit card as part of worldwide industry standard check-in procedures. You took extreme offense to this request and I did not take your attitude personally as sometimes guests arrive already having had a bad day. After you checked in to your room I had a phone call from a returning guest who did talk at length about how much they enjoyed their stay and we discussed the details of their next booking. I'm not certain how long you were lingering outside the office listening, however when you physically presented yourself in the doorway I immediately let the other guest know that I would call them back and I did serve you promptly. You inquired about the heating in your room and when I explained how you yourself could regulate it to your satisfaction you immediately snapped and said that you were not stupid. Although your communication was very volatile I accompanied you back to your room to check on the heating myself. Upon touching the heaters I found that they were warm and you had little to say. We left it at that. Had you asked about extra blankets I could have directed you to check the top of your cupboard in your room where they are visibly stored, and should you have wanted even more blankets I would have brought them to you myself. Also, it should be noted our beds are all fitted with electric blankets to ensure your warmth. Upon your departure the following morning I inspected your room, as I inspect all rooms of departing guests, and I found it to be close to a sauna in temperatures. I had to open all the windows immediately.
Concerning lighting, we are happy to confirm our building is fitted with security lights with one flood light over the car park to ensure safety. The room you stayed in is fully draped and yours is the very first suggestion we have ever received about lighting being an issue. Nonetheless we wish you a happy wedding anniversary and we hope that wherever you chose to stay in future you might communicate your concerns more clearly, for although hospitality staff are not mind readers, they always waiting to help when asked.
New to Nyon
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My daugher and I stayed in Leura House for a night recently and were most impressed by the kind and warm welcome we received. The house itself has stories to tell if those walls could talk! Our hosts were very helpful and pointed us in the right direction for everything. Breakfast was yummy and the whole family feeling in the place was rounded off with the presence of two of the most beautiful labs. Our room was very comfortable and when the hair dryer did not work, Denise promptly handed us her own - hospitality at its best. I would definitely recommend this house and if I ever return to the Blue Mountains I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Maireadi
Mahden145167, Operator until 31st July 2012 at Leura House, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Thank you lovely ladies. We wish you had been able to stay for a couple of nights. Such a shame we won't be there to see you return. So glad you had a nice stay and if you ever need a hairdryer again....... ;)

Cheers
Reviewed 19 July 2012

What a wonderful place to stay. I chose to go away on my own for a quiet weekend away. Denise and Larry were two of the most friendly, kind and hospitable people you could meet. The lounge area had a lovely fire place with gentle labradors helping to make the stay relaxing and calm. The hosts were always willing to chat and to help out in any way. This helped to make other guests feel comfortable and I chatted to quite a few people. Without the host's friendly attitude it would have been just like any other hotel where none of the guests speak to each other. D and L were always willing to help in any way. Breakfast was lovely and everything was definitely value for money. The Victorian style building is well maintained and has old world charm not to mention the beautiful grounds surrounding the house. I would definitely recommend this place and I'm sure I'll be back again. Thank you Denise and Larry!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Annie C
Thank you Annie, for your lovely comment. We enjoyed helping you to be as comfortable as possible. :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leura
The Carrington Hotel
Palais Royale Blue Mountains
Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort
Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Leisure Inn Spires - Blue Mountains

Been to Leura House? Share your experiences!