“Change of ownership - Much, much better”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Leura House

Leura House
Ranked #6 of 10 Leura B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Change of ownership - Much, much better”
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Reading the reviews here, I was somewhat worried about what my weekend at Leura House would be like. Luckily for us, the management that caused all the issues below have left and new owners have taken over since the start of July.

The service was extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming. The room we had was really nice and the breakfast was good, with plenty of choice for cereals etc. Oh, and the eggs were runny...

We had a very enjoyable weekend, and I hope that those who suffered under the previous owners will give the place a second chance.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
mahden14, Owner at Leura House, responded to this review, 19 July 2010
Thank you Gaz for your positive review. We are extremely pleased that you took the time to write something about Leura House that shows her in a good light and makes our job very rewarding. I feel we are heading in the right direction now, and thanks to people like you, I know that what we are doing is only going to improve with time. Our kindest regards to you, Larry and Denise. Business owners of Leura House since July 1 2010. :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Penrith, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2010

My Husband & I have stayed at Leura House for the winter Magic Festival for the Last 3 yrs and we were extremely happy every time even last year for the 2009 Winter Magic Festival.
Bob & Celia were awesome and it felt like a real family environment warm & friendly with great food.

We recently decided to ring and check our booking for the 2010 Winter Magic Festival As we have always booked 12 mths ahead for this festival so we get to stay in the same old room with same view for 1 night.

When we rang to enquire about our usual room reservation and spoke to the new manageress she told me she would ring me back.

She rang us back and said we have no reservation and there has always been a
2 night min stay and Hung up on Me.

I kept my cool and then rang her back and tried to explain to her that we had only ever stayed the 1 night up there for the last 3 yrs on the magic festival weekend
And there must be some mistake as we always book for the following year before we check out and our details are kept on file but she would not listen to anything I was saying.
I said we could show her statements to prove we had only ever stayed for the 1 night on each of the last 3 yrs on this same weekend but she Hung up on me rudely again after telling me that it says it on the Leura House website.
We have told many friend’s about the Leura House over the years what a great time we had and try and get people to come up for that weekend to stay there But that will never happen again as we would never recommend this hotel to anyone I know ever again.

I have never been so annoyed in my life as now we have no accommodation for the first time in 4 yrs for the Winter Magic Festival.

This new Management won’t last long with this new manageress in charge.

I just thank god we rang to check our accommodation this year as we don’t normally
As the Customer Service was usually excellent.

Don’t stay at Leura House until it get’s New Management that actually believe in customer service and listen to Loyal customers that stay there year after year.

This manageress has no customer service skills and has the personality of a house brick.
Go back to the rock you crawled out from under.
I have worked in customer service for over 20 yrs dealing with lots of real people and in my opinion this new manageress should not be in the customer service /hospitality industry.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tan_lans89

Travellers are raving about these Leura hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2010

If you are really stuck for a place and this is the only place available my recommendation is finding camping spot instead.

This was one of the worst experiences of a B & B that I have had. The were driving from Sydney to this place and were around 30mins away so we gave them a courtesy call informing our ETA. Upon calling them the receptionist promptly said that the reception opens at 2pm and therefore we would not be able to check-in or enter the place prior to this time. I did explain that we have a 12mth old and have a picnic which we would like to enjoy maybe in their gardens... this was not to be. We open at 2pm, goodbye!

One thing about this place is that they are consistent; take full payment for 2 or more days before the key are handed over, rubbery eggs, stale bread, no other staff to be found other than the receptionist come maid, waitress, chef. Also, she has a canny resemblance to the Polly (maid from Faulty Towers).

How do these places that charge over $250 per night, actually survive in this day and age?

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank bharatpmistry
Sydney
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Much that was advertised was unavailable or non-existent....no restaurant, no log fire, no 'magnificent views'.... at least not from our room! I did express disappointment at the first room we were given... distant views of the dumpster bins and a close-up of the iron roof of the breakfast room: second room had a bath but was dark and gloomy. It's a BandB, yet breakfast was advertised as complimentary!!!! Should therefore just be called a B (bed) establishment! The new owners should very quickly learn what actually constitutes a 'luxury' 'deluxe' place....most definitely not the meagre breakfast offerings....too bad if your penchant is not for prunes because that's all that was on offer....and the cereal flakes were more on the bendy side than crunchy! (Think they had counted out flakes per guest!!!) No choice for hot meal...mass-produced bacon and eggs (rather bouncy!) both mornings (we HAD to book for 2 nights!) ...don't like bacon and eggs?...once again, too bad! The room was supposedly serviced but no new tea/coffee or even a replacement for the one tiny soap from the day before. The lounge featured an urn with a very limited supply of tea/coffee....no milk ..and an empty water dispenser. Not the luxury we had envisaged. It was not even offered as a discount on Wotif...full price.$218 a night. The place has potential but stay away until management changes yet again or realises what true Band B luxury is! ....and what their competition offers for a similar price!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Unless you're absolutely desperate I WOULD NOT STAY HERE
- The hot breakfast was cold with rubbery eggs and leather bacon; the cereals are all left unsealed overnight and only covered in netting so they were all stale.
- The inside of the old fridge and long life milk cups were black with mould and the biscuits stale.
- The baby cot was rickety and felt unsafe.
- I asked for an extra 30minutes to checkout as my baby was sleeping and was told there would be an additional nights charge otherwise I had to leave immediately.
- I was accused of not advising I had an infant in the room, when in fact they called me back when I booked to advise there was an additional charge which I agreed to.
- After politely letting them know the fridge was mouldy and the breakfast stale I was verbally abused and told that my kids were disgusting and to [--] off and GET OUT, GET THE [--] OUT!! by the Manager all whilst holding my 10mth old baby. NICE!! Thank goodness my 2yo didn't see her rant.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
sydney
Reviewed 29 March 2010

After a telephone reservation and giving our creditcard details the day before, we arrived at Leura house. At the reception we were given a receipt to prove that the amount had been taken from our account so the first night was paid for. We were then asked to pay for the second night. Which is a bit unusual, mostly you pay when leaving the hotel, not when you come in. The credit card did not work on the machine at the reception and the woman told us to find an ATM because our card was not working. We had paid twice that day without problem, but the woman insisted the fault was with our card. We asked to see the rooms first and I stayed while my husband got the suitcase. He became very annoyed when the receptionist refused to give him the key of the room. We decided to stay since we had already paid the sum of 218 dollars for one night in this Band B and went for dinner having to leave the door unlocked. There were no other guests in the BB. When we came back we went straight to the reception (with our cash), but we told the woman first that we felt insulted by her rude behavior. She then started to lecture us as if we were some minor employees of her firm:” I can see your ego is bruised, but these are the rules here. I don’t know how it is in your country but we do stick by the rules. I asked her very calmly: please explain your rules to me. “We have already paid for this night”. She cut me short by interrupting sternly : “there is no sense in further discussing this”. By the way: we are in our fifties and widely traveled, the woman was In het thirties and apparently operational manager/owner of the place. Hospitality means making your guests feel at home, welcoming them. That is also doing good business and will bring in more guests. The woman has some learning to do in the trade or she’ll ruin the place.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed 27 March 2010

WoW. We had a truly romantic time at this gorgeous Victorian mansion. We've frequented the mountains quite a bit, but never knew this place existed - just meters from the Village. It was very private and quite like out of a novel with its gardens and private hedges. The property is under new management and our hosts were really charming. We learned that this was the first house built in Leura - my husband is a writer so the history fed our imaginations. The house was really warm and really quiet and just plain HUGE. In the evenings a thick mist rolled in and made everything very magical. Cant wait to go back again in the future.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leura
The Carrington Hotel
Palais Royale Blue Mountains
Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort
Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Leisure Inn Spires - Blue Mountains

Been to Leura House? Share your experiences!