“Better than expected”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We were pleasantly surprised having read the comments in some of the previous reviews.

The kitchen was well equipped and very clean and the hob and oven looked fairly new. The bathroom was ok but could have been cleaner, There was black round the tap on the wash basin and there was also some mould in the shower. The bedroom was spacious with plenty of storage space & the beds were comfortable. The rest of the apartment was clean and it was serviced daily. Some of the paintwork was chipped and could do with a new coat of paint.

We would certainly stay again, the staff we dealt with were all very pleasant and helpful. It was convenient for us visiting our family and was reasonable value.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Underbarrovians
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Underbarrovians,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina and for leaving your comments.
I am pleased to read that you found the apartments very comfortable and just what you needed for your stay – with plenty of space!!
Thank you for also informing us about the issues relating to housekeeping, I will raise these issues with the appropriate team members to ensure that they are an area for focus moving forward.
Underbarrovain, thank you again for your comments as we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next visiting the family in the area.

Warm regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Melbourne, Victoria
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Nothing amazing about the Medina Apartments, they are out of the way a little, no restaurant, reception arent overly helpful, the whole place has a musky damp rainforest type feel, but then thats the area, a basic, good value 2 bed apartment. I stayed with colleagues, prob my 5th visit and everything always runs smoothly.
The apartments really need a facelift though, bathrooms / kitchems etc are old, a little dirty and the air con has a mind of its own. I wouldnt want to stay for too long, especially with a family, but for its purpose its good value and really there isnt any other choice near Nth ryde!! A short walk to the Mediterranean restaurant and also Basils.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Watto77,

Thank you for staying with us and providing your valuable comments.

I am pleased to read that during each of your stay, everything runs smoothly certainly comforting knowing there is consistency, and that we are offering value for money.
I am however surprised by your comments relating to the kitchens, as only last year all the apartments underwent a refurbishment where a lot of work was done on the kitchens, including all new appliances, but in regards to the bathroom we are looking at options to improve the aesthetics and comfort.
Watto77, thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Medina.

Best regards,
Greenethorpe, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed at the Medina Apartment on Tuesday 7th May. Check in was simple and although the receptionist didn't know the carpark height she was friendly and efficient.

The rooms suited the group of four with the only disappointment for the Tv addict in the group was that the remote control in the lounge room didn't work.

The apartments are in a great position with our being noisy.

We liked it so much we have just rebooked for this weekend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gounch
Dear Gounch,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Service Apartments North Ryde, and for leaving your comments.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the position and the size of the apartments so much that you had rebooked!

Gouch, we look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, and for your future reference the car park height is 1.98 metres.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Great location but housekeeping was really bad we stay for nearly 3 weeks and if I had not taken sheets off bed they would have not change and when I did they left pillow cases on Day 5 MANAGER and head of cleaning staff went around every room and ask how things where and told him that our place had not been vaccum since we have been here and bathroon really needed a good clean said he would make sure the next day it would be done wanted never happened and never had sheets done again I ended up washing them company have put as there a few times and would never stay there again We had 4 managers from uk were to be booked in there but finding other accomadation the only person who was helpful was the handyman

Room Tip: find somewhereeles to stay
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Pams17182
TMQRMGR, General Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear Pams17182,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde and for leaving your comments.
I am pleased to hear that my handyman was helpful during your stay. In order to ensure that our guests are experiencing a comfortable stay, feedbacks and suggestions are always welcomed especially when the guest is in-house. This assists us in rectifying any discrepancy in service without minimal delay. I am sorry that at this occasion the housekeeping issue continued to persist though you passed your views to the respective heads. I will share your feedback with the team.
Pams17182, thank you again for your feedback regarding the recent stay, and we would love to welcome your colleagues whilst their visit to Macquarie Park/North Ryde area with the anticipation of providing them with an improved service based upon your feedback.

Travellers are raving about these North Ryde hotels

Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Stayed more than a week there for our family trip. The place is a bit old and need refurbish but I can stand with that in view of the price and location, which is close to my friends and family.

The worse part is the housekeeping. They change bed sheets and vacuum once a week (after prompting at the reception). We have babies and those who have will know what the room smells like after 2 nights if the bin hasn't been emptied. They tell us that they will change those towels if they are put in the tub, but that didn't happen. So I stack it inside the house next to the main door. But the cleaner still manage to ignore it and the bin. So in the end I have to go to reception to ask the mask face lady and also told her that we run out of toilet paper.

I specifically asked whether they have wifi and the customer service in the email said yes and I just need to pay at the reception. But turn out they only have a cable line and when I said I don't have a computer because I was expecting wifi she replied," Then there is no point telling you the price of the Internet service then!" I see that I have wasted her precious time.

When we left they told us we had taken something from the minibar which I am quite sure we did not since we bought our drinks from the supermarket but how can I argue that I haven't use something that they claim isn't there? End up paying for it. It's not the about the money but the attitude and poor management that gave the bad impression.
Wouldn't come here again if I can find a better place next time.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Pen401
TMQRMGR, General Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Dear Pen401,

I am sorry to hear that the team failed to deliver a satisfactory service for your stay. I am also surprise to hear that the bins were not emptied in our apartment as this is a part of the daily housekeeping service. I will share your feedback with my respective department heads to investigate into these inconsistencies and eliminate them from occurring for future guests.

Pen401, thank you again for your feedback regarding the recent stay as it will definitely assist us in improving the service to our guests. I would also like to welcome you again for your next visit in the area as the property is conveniently located to match your requirements.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 March 2013

These are serviced apartments nestled beside the Lane Cove National Park in a very quiet part of North Ryde. All the apartments are split level ~3 floors. You enter in the middle where the dining room and kitchen are. You go down for the living space and open patio or go up a floor for the bedrooms. Not elderly or handicapped friendly. But great for large families with kids or big groups wanting to share an apartment.

All the apartments have 2 bedrooms - if you pay for the single room they just lock 1 room. Only the master bedroom has attached bath and a TV. The other room only has a desk and chair - very bare with the latest change. This was a dumb recent change. There is also a separate bath/toilet. Actual service is only once a week - but they do make the bed daily.

The kitchen is very well equipped and recently renovated with burner, large oven, microwave, dishwasher, kettle and utensils - so great if you plan to cook.

However the rooms, furniture, walls, paint, grounds are very tired and in need of serious update and renovations. Don't be fooled by the pool either - it takes 1 stroke to get from 1 side to the other! Being next to nature, you can expect all kinds of animals - insects, spiders, lizards (2 very colorful and large resident one to shock/entertain you) and rodents (especially in the roof space of apartments 20/21). Not to forget the common Cuckatoo wake up call at first light.

You also need to drive or wait for the sole bus if you want to get anywhere unless you are open to a dark long and uphill walk to civilization of food.

On the whole a good place if you have a large group and need a common place to stay and cook. However for singles or couples - not really a great or economical option.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
TMQRMGR, General Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear RayChaud,

As you mentioned, the apartments perfectly suit the requirements of large a family thanks to the size of the townhouse which offer plenty of space to each of our guests. Being next to a massive habitant for natural resources, the property often gets bestow with the fascinating creatures from the National Park which is quite popular among our guests. The property has completed a major refurbishment in early 2012 where comprehensive work was done on the carpets, artwork, paintwork and beds. I will share your feedback with my maintenance team to address any inconsistency in the apartments for future guests.

RayChaud, thank you again for staying with us at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the property on your next business trip to the Macquarie Business Park.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed here for 6 days while my Husband was having surgery at Macquarie University Hospital to treat Prostate Cancer.It was a time of angst and Medina made it worse. I asked for a quiet sunny outlook from my room and to some extent, this was provided albeit next to the road rather than facing the bushland. Although the apartment is a bit tired and shabby and needing maintenance, it is very spacious and therefore I could forgive this. What I can't forgive is the shameful servicing of the apartment (it is supposed to be done every day and they couldn't even make the bed two of the days and just changed the towels) and it was also done late in the day. Papers were also delivered after 9am - so no point ordering them. This is a management issue as my Husband and I presumed that the cleaners weren't given sufficient time to do the work. In addition, the response in reception was generally a well rehearsed lack of acknowledgement that there was any problem. They also adopted this attitude when some mail didn't arrive and they kept telling me it would be delivered to my apartment if it arrived. My Husband just happened to ask the day we left and reception then indicated that the mail had been delivered to their sister hotel Travelodge and we would have to pick it up, despite the mail being marked with Medina's address and it had a date on it that was 3 days prior to our departure! Very disappointing!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
TMQRMGR, General Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear San_Moon,

At Medina Serviced Apartment North Ryde, we encourage all forms of feedback as this allows us to identify areas for praise, as well as areas for improvement. I am sorry to hear regarding the reason behind your stay and also that the guest service and housekeeping service was less than satisfactory. As suggested, I will forward your feedback to our housekeeping contactor company regarding the time allocation, to ensure any inconsistences that can be eliminated for future guests. We share our mailbox with our sister hotel, therefore mails for both the properties delivers to the same postal address which later on get sent to the respective property. I do apologies that at this instance your mail was not delivered to you on time. I am also a bit disappointed to hear that my Front Office Reception team failed to please you with their guest service as I have recently received some nice comments through guest email that recently stay with us. I will share your valuable feedback with the team for more improvement.

San_Moon, thank you again for your feedback regarding the recent stay. On behalf of Medina North Ryde team, I would like to wish a speedy recovery to your husband and would like to welcome you and husband again whilst you visit Macquarie Park/North Ryde area next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Ryde
Adina Apartment Hotel Norwest
#1 of 2 in Baulkham Hills
Darlinghurst
Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde? Share your experiences!