“Budget stay in Sydney”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Lubbock, Texas
“Budget stay in Sydney”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. Upon check in the staff was amazing. It was quite early but they had a room ready and we were in much need of a nap after flying from the US. The room was very nice and clean. In addition the location of this hotel is amazing. Staying at a nice place in Sydney was a little out of our budget so we opted to stay at this location to save a little money. It is near the train station which is super helpful. It does take 30-45 minutes to get to downtown Sydney. Also, being away from the city means this hotel is very quiet. My one complaint was the lack of a microwave but that isn't a deal breaker by any means. I would highly recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear Guest

Congratulations to both you and your partner. It gives me a great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would share your compliments with other team member and we would recognize their great efforts.

I would also take this opportunity to inform that we do offer microwaves in room on request, however it is subject to availability.

Once again thank you so much for staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott and we look forward to welcome you back.

Regards

Sudhir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
Perth
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Once again this hotel has proven to be an excellent business hotel. Quiet comfortable rooms, good menu, excellent breakfast and friendly helpful staff.
Check out was efficient with express check out available if required.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Lane Cove Road.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Quality, Service & Price, Best explains Courtyard Marriott Nth Ryde.
Clean, Friendly staff and very helpful. great location and close to city. would recommend to all. very reasonable price. plenty of public transport & great shopping centre near by.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pita4
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your positive remarks regarding your recent stay with us at the Courtyard North Ryde. I have shared your comments with all our associates in the hotel and it gives us a great pleasure to know that we have met your expectations.

I do look forward to welcome you back at our beautiful hotel again.

Regards

New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Booked a couple of weeks in advance for a Saturday night during Vivid Sydney, perfect! Very reasonable price for a nice hotel.

Very friendly & helpful staff, reception very clean and welcoming.

The added extra of free parking on a Saturday night was great.

A 2/3 mins walk from Macquarie Park station and only $14 return for 2 adults to the city it doesn't get much better.

The room was a good size, clean & had a 'fresh feel', the bathroom was nice with a massive walk in shower and the glass room divider with something different & a bit of fun. The bed was comfy (although would have been nice to have a pillow option as I have a feather allergy so used the spare blanket as a pillow).

Great location if your back late from the city or a function as Macca's is only across the road too.

Room Tip: 7th floor at the Reception side of the hotel is quieter as its a away from the road
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Polly J
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed here about 12 months ago and decided to return we found the hotel to be very clean and the Reception Staff very helpful. We booked this online the weekend before and when we arrived were asked if we wanted to upgrade our room to a suite. We agreed and the Suite was on the 8th floor and as there were 3 of us the main bedroom was upstairs along with the main bathroom which also had the shower over the bath.. The bed in the main part of the suite was a fold out bed which was very comfortable for a couple of nights but I think that you need a proper bed if you are staying more than a couple of nights. The main bed was very comfortable and plenty of pillows. There was a toilet and wash basin downstairs which was good as the downstairs also had a couch and desk and TV.. The Suite was very clean and we requested more teabags and also to have the bed made up and the service was excellent and very quick. Carparking was free as we stayed a Saturday night, The hotel is only about 200 metres from the railway stations and we found that the trains ran about every 30minutes on the Saturday night. Owing to the Suite being on the 8th floor we found that we could here the traffic a bit more than on the lower floors where we stayed the last time but it didn't stop us from sleeping.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I was a little disappointed with my stay at this hotel. I booked for two adults and one ten year old child for two nights. I was hoping for a room with two double beds, but was only offered this as an upgrade with added costs.

I did get a small room with a king size bed and a roll away. Well, to be fair, maybe it seemed small because it had the biggest desk I have ever seen in a hotel, it was almost the size of a single bed! Surely, hardly necessary, even for a business person? So things were a little cramped, and the roll away mattress was straight from a prison cell somewhere, obviously designed as punishment for something! Hard as concrete. I did ask for something softer, but there were none, which was when the lovely and helpful Tameka offered me the upgrade. I declined, as I was already paying $200 a night for the room plus breakfast and more costs seemed a little extravagant.

The room was exceptionally clean and the main king sized bed was comfortable enough, not great but ok. Plenty of nice feather pillows.

The bathroom seemed quite new and shiny but was also very small with a huge shower (no bath) with a frosted glass wall in it that was in place of a solid wall between the living/bedroom and the bathroom. Interesting design feature. Made it impossible to sneak into the bathroom in the night, as one does when you have a sleeping child, because you couldn't put the light on in there without flooding the bedroom with light! I felt a bit self conscious in the shower as well, even though we had tested the "seethroughability" of the glass and there was none ;)

For the second time this week, a good hotel, classy bathroom, lousy towels! What is the deal here? For this price I expect bath sheets, or at least nice fluffy towels that are bigger than a bathmat! Disappointing! These were small, thin and nasty. I wouldn't have dried my dog with them.

My other complaint is the cheap nasty plastic kettle. Surely a hotel with some obvious class, which this has, can afford a decent kettle? I guess the problem of guests stealing the kettle, if indeed this is the issue, is certainly solved by using this poor quality item!!!

Our tariff included a full breakfast, which we looked forward to and were not disappointed. It was a good spread, plenty of hot options; poached eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, sausages, hash browns etc; lots of different breads, cheese and cold meats, fruit, yoghurt, juice, pancakes, cereal, no complaints at all. Staff member Daniel was exceptionally friendly and helpful, bringing gluten free bread and skim milk when needed. They even had Earl Grey tea bags on the tables so I was happy.

Please note breakfast is 7am till 10am on weekends and 7am till 9.30am on weekdays. We almost missed breakfast by assuming, wrongly, that it was on till 10am on Monday morning. The staff were somewhat reluctant to admit us at 9.32am but I pleaded ignorance and they reluctantly let us eat! Some people came after us and they were "allowed" to eat too ;)

Another interesting point is the parking. Apparently free on Saturday night but $12 on Sunday and weeknights. There is plenty of parking outside the hotel car park, which has a boom gate, so you can save yourself $12 on weekdays by parking outside the boom gate area, especially if you are leaving early in the morning.

If you are looking for somewhere for dinner there is a great Malaysian restaurant, Sambal, over the road from the hotel. Very good food, reasonable prices. Use the pedestrian crossing, Lane Cove Road is busy!

Altogether a nice, quiet, clean hotel, friendly and helpful staff, would stay again.

Room Tip: If you are offered a free upgrade, take it!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank spin462002
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, regarding your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde.

We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and after reading your feedback I would like to take the opportunity to offer my most sincere apologies for the disappointing experiences you encountered. We strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met.

I am extremely sorry for the experience you had with our rollaway beds, bath towels and kettle. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our General Manager and Operation Manager, who I shall work with, to ensure all the necessary actions are implemented to rectify any defects with our rooms, paying close attention to the comfort of bedding and quality of amenities provided in room.

It is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again sharing your valuable feedback as it is essential to us and I am looking forward to welcoming you back one day.
With warm regards from North Ryde,
El Mundo
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Location: tucked away in an office park, but if you're staying here, it's likely for business anyway. It's a brisk walk from Macquairie University and its satellite shopping center should you need to pick anything up. There are some restaurant choices within a five minute walk of the venue.

Wifi: Strong signal throughout. For some reason, getting online via my phone and iPad was free, but when I tried to log on with a laptop, a typical price-gouging "pay us some crazy sum per 24h" screen popped up.

Food: The restaurant is decent and does a good breakfast. Dinner was also passable, with a salad buffet + entree option that didn't break the bank (~28 AUD) compared to other choices in the area.

Cabs were plentiful, and there's a hotel shuttle available though I have no idea where it actually drops you off. A short walk will bring you to a metro/train station, though trains seem to be infrequent.

As mentioned by others, staff is courteous, professional and pleasant to deal with.

One medium-sized quibble: no free bottled water in the rooms. 4 AUD for a small bottle and 6 for a large one. Granted, SYD tap water is potable, but for nearly 300 AUD/night, I expect more.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde, we Truly appreciate your business.

I would also take this opportunity to share some more information about the facilities we provide:

Wi-Fi: All our Marriott Reward members are entitled to use free basic internet in rooms. If some one is not already a member it is free to sign up. All our public areas like lobby and restaurant offer free wi-fi to all guest.

Hotel Shuttle: We run complimentary shuttle from Monday to Friday to all nearby offices and facilities with 1.5 km radius. The shuttle runs every morning from 7am to 10 am and every evening from 5pm to 7pm every half hour. We highly recommend advance reservations for shuttle bus.

I would certainly share your feedback about the mini bar pricing in your room with our General Manager. Once again we thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hear from you.

Warm Regards

Holiday Inn Express Sydney Macquarie Park
Travelodge Hotel Macquarie North Ryde
Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde
MGSM Executive Hotel and Conference Centre

Been to Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde? Share your experiences!