“Very disappointed this time.”

Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Gosford, New South Wales, Australia
“Very disappointed this time.”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times when we have visited North Ryde and we have always enjoyed our stay. However, this time when we stayed in room 204 there seemed to be a problem with the air-conditioning, as it kept becoming warm and stuffy in the room, consequently we did not get very much sleep. We had a big day after our first night's stay and we both got up feeling very tired which was disappointing. We reported the problem to reception and they told us that they would have an engineer take a look at the air-conditioner in the room while we were away. But the second night was no better and we nearly got up and went home at 3.00 am, but we were both too tired to drive back to the Central Coast. We have never had such a problem in our rooms with air-conditioning before. A lot of things at the Courtyard seemed to be suffering from a cut back this time, there were no butter plates or knives on the tables, coffee machines instead of personally served percolated coffee from the waiters. There is usually a great selection of juices to choose from at breakfast, but this time there was only a choice of three, the hot food was not as good as we have enjoyed on other stays. We found that the breakfast staff tried very hard to do a good job, but they all seemed quite inexperienced and needed a more senior staff member to help them. We were told on the phone when we made our booking that there was no longer a buffet lunch on a Friday, but when we arrived later on the Friday afternoon we found at that there had indeed been a buffet lunch, but nobody knew about it, so it was cancelled. The only good thing that we can say about our stay this time, is that we had dinner in the restaurant on Friday night and it was great, the food was delicious and the service very good, in fact the salad buffet that was intended for Friday lunch was included as a free salad buffet with our main meal. As we have always enjoyed our stays in the past it meant that we left this time feeling very disappointed and questioning whether we would stay again.

Room Tip: Make sure that the air conditioner is working!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Karen

Thank you very much for sharing your most recent experiences regarding your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde.

We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and in particular the loyalty our customers show towards our hotel brands. After reading your feedback I would like to take the opportunity to offer my most sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you encountered. We strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met.

I am extremely sorry for the experience you had with our air-conditioning in room and having to get up tired. I completely understand that this is far from convenient and very pleased you brought this matter to my attention. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our Director of Engineering, who I shall work with, to ensure all the necessary actions are implemented to rectify any defects with our rooms, paying close attention to our air conditioning system. Also I have shared your remarks with our and Food and Beverage Manager to ensure that we maintain our levels of quality of food and the options available.

Ms Karen, it is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again for taking the time to write to me as Marriott does appreciate all of our guests’ valuable feedback as it is essential to us and I am really looking forward hopefully welcoming you back to our beautiful city again one day.

With warm regards from Sydney,

Sudhir Yadav
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I've had over a dozen stays at the Courtyard Marriott, and each time it is comfortable, quiet and convenient.

Not sure you'd want to stay this far outside the CBD unless you had local business to do - but if you are there for business the hotel will drop you off via a free shuttle bus, and the staff will work hard to fill any need (like helping me out with a phone charger).

The rooms are always spotless - the room service is quick and of a high quality - and the breakfasts of a high standard. Beds are very comfortable.

Despite facing a busy road there is minimal if any noise.

Out of the small number of hotels in this part of Sydney this one is definitely my pick of the bunch.

I'm sure I'll be back regularly.

Room Tip: The split level rooms are great - very roomy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Melbourne, Victoria
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here maybe 30 nights over the past 6 years, because it's across the road from my head office. Overpriced in my opinion although service is good. Rooms ok, i dont like having a shower in a bath..! With meriton opening up soon they need to lift their game, possibly refurb a little, or drop their prices. Great location for nth ryde.

• Stayed October 2013
Millbrae, California
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I booked a room for three at this hotel for the weekend. I didn't know that the bathroom wall was see through glass. I asked for a change of room but receptionist said all were the same except the suite. So much for privacy. Then the bathroom was small (gotta shut the door completely to get to the tub/shower) and had no safety handles (nothing to grab on getting in/out). Locating in a central business area, I am surprised that the hotel was designed as such (more towards romantic couple instead of family and business guests). Lastly, the idea of being green here is to reuse (fold up and put back on rack) towels despite dirty and guests' request. Hello .. housekeeping .. on the way .. but how come I never saw anyone knocking on my door .. only the check-out invoice stuck under my door in the early hour.

Room Tip: Ask about the bathroom .. whether there's a privacy shade/blind and safety handles in place. Sa...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for contacting Marriott Customer Care, regarding your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde.

We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and in particular the loyalty our Marriott Rewards Members’ show towards our hotel brands. After reading your feedback I would like to take the opportunity to offer my most sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you encountered. We strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met.

I am extremely sorry for the experience you had with our room allocation and having to change, I completely understand that this is far from convenient and very pleased you brought this matter to my attention. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our Director of Operations, who I shall work with, to ensure all the necessary actions are implemented to ensure the safety of our guest. We have noted your feedback both for the safety rails and the Plexiglas in bathroom and I assure you that we would consider all possible solutions while planning our refurbishment next year. I have also taken the liberty to retrain all concerned associates on the importance of responding promptly and adhering to all guest cleaning requests.

It is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again for taking the time to write to me as Marriott does appreciate all of our guests’ valuable feedback as it is essential to us and I am really looking forward hopefully welcoming you back to our beautiful city again one day.

With warm regards from Sydney,

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The staff at this hotel are completely incompetent and unable to deal with even the most simple of matters. After weeks of emails and phone calls going without replies or actions of any kind it has now taken two months to resolve an issue that should have been resolved on the spot. These people are hopeless, I can not possibly ever deal with them again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for expressing your experiences with Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde. We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and I am extremely sorry your expectations were not met. However in order for me to investigate and resolve the matter, I would need more details of your conversations. I would appreciate if you could either provide me with your contact phone number or write to me directly at sudhir.yadav@courtyard.com

It is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again for taking the time to write to me as Marriott does appreciate all of our guests’ valuable feedback as it is essential to us and I am really looking forward to hear from you

Warm Regards

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip to Sydney. Customer service was excellent. Rooms just average. Decor was tired and bathroom suffering some design flaws! Hotel restaurant was fine, breakfast buffet good, dinner expensive for what it was. Location fine for the business area it is in, if you're wanting a sight seeing holidays to Sydney this isn't the place to stay!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Annimay
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a safe middle of the road choice for business travellers in the North Ryde area. I've stayed at all the other hotels in the area (MGSM, Quest, Travelodge and Stamford Grand) and this is the best, which is not a ringing endorsement as the Quest is below average and the Stamford Grand is atrocious, while the MGSM is a nice boutique hotel but in an academic setting.

The key to this place is the staff. Even if they are not 5 star level staff, this hotel has probably some of the most friendly, genuine staff I've encountered travelling the world. They really make an average hotel a great experience when you're in a business locale and away from friends and family.

Quick tip, they don't have a room service menu but call room service the night before and place an order and they will deliver breakfast at a time of your choosing.

Kudos to the friendly staff here and the managers that evidently keep their staff well trained and engaged.

• Stayed August 2013
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your recent experiences for your stay at Courtyard North Ryde. It is feedback like yours which motivates us to strive even harder to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience and I glad that on this occasion your expectations were met.
Thank you very much again and we look forward to welcome you
Regards
Holiday Inn Express Sydney Macquarie Park
Travelodge Hotel Macquarie North Ryde
Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde
MGSM Executive Hotel and Conference Centre

Been to Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde? Share your experiences!