“Decent Hotel, horrible food”

Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 1 night in Dec 2013 for a business meeting in Macquarie park. The location is great for business, but not good for a Sydney vacation.

The room was comfortable, clean and well maintained. It had decent TV channels and free Wi-Fi for Marriott rewards members. The staff in the hotel (check in, room service, restaurant) were all very pleasent and professional.

The only downside is that the food in the hotel is horrible, and by that I mean its barely editable. I ordered a burger from room service which was dry, solid and tasteless - I left half. As I was working in the room I then ordered a ceaser salad which had brown leaves and a disgusting sauce - I left it all. At breakfast the selection is a small buffet with low quality food - I just ate a muffin Which was solid and over sweet. The only food options I could find within walking distance was McD and KFC, which in retrospect would have been better. There is a shopping centre with a food court 15minutes away by foot.

If you don't need to eat in the hotel it deserves 4/5. But if you need any food, you are better off looking elsewhere.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for sharing your recent experiences for your stay at Courtyard North Ryde
We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met.
I am extremely sorry for the experience you had with our food facilities. . I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our Operations Manager and Head Chef, who I shall work with, to ensure all the necessary checks are in place to ensure the quality of food being served
It is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again for taking the time to write on trip advisor as Marriott does appreciate all of our guests’ valuable feedback as it is essential to us to continually improve.
Warm Regards

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We decided to stay here on a Saturday night. There was a music festival at Sydney Olympic Park, some 15 minutes south of the hotel. Subsequently the hotel was absolutely full of music festival patrons wanting a supposedly nice place to sleep.

I am a club Marriott member and I booked a weekend deal with a *free upgrade to a "balcony" room. I can understand that the hotel was very busy and a room upgrade was not possible. So we were given a room with a sealed window. After seeing the balconies from the exterior of the hotel, I don't believe we missed out on much, apart from the fact we could get some fresh air. The balconies just looked like railings protruding about 2 feet from the building, so there wouldn't be much room to stand out there and look at the business park or main road.

We were told that parking was free on weekends, however we were never informed to allow 30 minutes to find a car park and try to guess where we were allowed to park. The hotel car park had a boom gate and went around the building. Then there were neighbouring car parks that all had flip up metal bollards locked on them, preventing anyone from parking in the spot. We were told by another confused hotel guest that we should just do what others did, and double park between two bollards. We called the hotel who confirmed that we can simply just double park like other guests, in the neighbouring business car park. Our vehicle was too wide to do so. I ended up running up to every bollard and seeing if there was one that didn't have a padlock on it, to flip it down.

The foyer was locked, we had to press a button for someone to let us into the hotel. The front desk man was unhelpful and vague. He did not smile or tell us where the lifts were or even give directions to our room.

After we lugged our bags into the lift that smelt like a public restroom (they had an electronic toilet air freshener on the wall where everyone looks when waiting in the lift), we walked through the hallway that had an odd pungent smell.

Our standard room was below standard. Our bathroom bin had no bin liner (bag), the bathroom was very tiny, because of the big awkward and unnecessary bath. The wall between the bathroom (shower) and the bed area was actually just a piece of frosted glass, so if anyone wanted to use the bathroom with a light on, they would wake up anyone that was trying to sleep.

The shower was horrendous. It was either boiling hot or ice cold and had the option of either slow dribble or ultra fast and painful flow. It's a wonder no one has slipped in the bath and taken out their annoying translucent glass wall.

The room was not comfortable, the mini bar was full of so many bottles I couldn't even fit my one bottle of water in there. I couldn't shut the room door because the rubber seal was falling off. We couldn't shut the bathroom door because it wouldn't click shut. When we tried to use the phone line in the hotel, it didn't work. We couldn't even call the main hotel number from our mobile phones.

There was an abundance of power outlets in the room, but unfortunately the one I chose to charge my phone, did not work. The room service was delicious! The only credit to this hotel was the food! Yum!

The guest information book did not have any information about what time buffet breakfast was on. It turns out it's only available till 10am, on a weekend. Considering check out was at 12pm, this was just ridiculous. We sadly had to get McDonalds breakfast across the road, which had a lot of other hotel guests getting breakfast there.

Unfortunately this was a very disappointing stay. The one positive thing was the food, but we didn't even get to try the buffet because they closed it at 10am. I understand this is just a Courtyard Marriott, however I believe anything in the Marriott group should have better standards.

I wouldn't stay here again, the hassle of parking and the unhelpful staff were enough to deter me and my family/friends from any possibility of future stays at this establishment.

Room Tip: It looks like the bottom floor rooms on the business park side have a small courtyard area. Only a f...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest
We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and in particular the loyalty our Marriott Rewards Members’ show towards our hotel brands. After reading your feedback I would like to take the opportunity to offer my most sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you encountered. We strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met.
I am extremely sorry for the experience you had with our facilities and I wish to discuss more in details with you over the phone to ensure all the necessary actions are implemented to rectify any defects with our cleanliness and paying close attention to availability of car park.
I would truly appreciate if you could please email me your full name and mobile number on “Sudhir.yadav@courtyard.com”.
It is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again for taking the time to write on trip advisor as Marriott does appreciate all of our guests’ valuable feedback as it is essential to us and I am really looking forward to speak to you.
With warm regards from Sydney,

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here on business for 3 days this Sept. The hotel is in a business area and so very convenient to client offices. It's also close to the train station, literally a 5-7 min walk away and so very easy to commute from.
The room was very nice, well furnished and clean as you would expect from a Marriott hotel. Room service is good and there are some small restaurants just behind the property as well as a 7-11 a short walk away. They also have a small store behind the counter where you can buy snacks and other small things. The reception staff is friendly and helpful when I needed access to the business center.
However, what really set it apart is my experience with one of the reception staff and her friendly, flexible service. We had an important client workshop and had a taxi booked from the night before to pick us up at 8am at the hotel. However for some reason the booking didn't go through and we were left stranded and anxious at being late for the workshop. Amazingly, the lady at the reception (unfortunately we didn't get her name) took full responsibility for this and borrowed her manager's car to drop us to the venue! We were really touched by this gesture especially as the reception was really busy at that time of day. She knew all the best routes and we reached earlier than we expected to with enough time to set up. This really stayed in our minds as the hotel could simply have tried booking us another cab and not worried about the delay, instead this gesture turned the whole experience around for us and it was much appreciated. Needless to say I will be staying here everytime I visit Sydney on business.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Guest

It gives me great pleasure to read about your experiences. We strive to ensure that we can exceed each guest expectation and I am glad on this particular occasion we did. I would be sharing your remarks with all our team member and we look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

A nice four star hotel in a good location - approximately five minutes walk from the station. The provision of free newspapers was nice. The breakfast was a standard buffet with hot and cold items but at $29 per head, I'd have to say it was over-priced.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Philip R

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us at Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde and I trust you enjoyed your stay. I would also take this opportunity to advise that we do offer few breakfast options. Each guest can choose from the following:
Grab and Go Breakfast (Choice of a small coffer and egg and bacon roll/Danish Pastry etc.) for $7.50
Cereal Buffett $14
Continental Buffet $22
Full Buffet $29.

I will also share your feedback with our Operations Manager to ensure all necessary facts are considered for next price revision.

We look forward to welcome you back

Warm Regards

Sudhir

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I have stayed at the courtyard a great deal over the last 6 years. The rooms are always good and clean and the workspace is excellent.
Staff are helpful and considerate. Always willing to help if asked. The bar is a bit stoic but the staff a real characters and make you feel at home.
The menu is not the greatest and is quite pricey. Choices are reduced over the weekend as it considers itself a business hotel. A pity as I am sure they could package the weekends and fill up with visitors as does the Stamford.
The prices are high but it is very convenient for North Ryde business. They also have a people delivery and collection service to local business.

Room Tip: If you don't want a bath ask for a shower room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your continued loyalty for last 6 years. We truly appreciate your business.

I am very glad to hear that our staff service has been excellent and we have treated you like a family member.

We also appreciate your feedback about our bar menu and room prices. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our General Manager and Operations Manager who I shall work with to improve our service and facilities.

Once again thank you very much for your encouraging comments

Regards

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Being how I travel regularly for business, I've stayed at many different Courtyards in the past, but I would have to say that this Courtyard in North Ryde has been my favorite to this date.

The rooms have been cleaner and more comfortable than many other hotels, but what really made the difference is the excellent service that I received from the staff. This is to first say that I am a Marriott Platinum member, and the front desk staff definitely noted this status, so I received the benefits of being a Platinum member. Even that aside though, every staff member was very helpful, regardless of who checked me in. This was my first time in Sydney, and one front desk staff member helped me identify all the different things to do, including the best methods of transportation to get to each. Also, my visit was split up into 3 different stays over a duration of 3 weeks (with a side trip to Cairns and a New Zealand cruise in between). Each time, the staff took care of storing my luggage quickly and efficiently for when I would return. They also remembered me and welcomed me back with each stay. While I've had this happen for hotels where I stayed for business for over a year, I was definitely impressed with how hospitable the staff made it feel over these few weeks.

The location is more in a business area rather than close to Sydney Airport or the city of Sydney itself, but the good part is that it is within close walking distance to the Macquarie Park Station, and you can take the train there to all the other areas in the Sydney region.

I would definitely stay here again the next time I'm in the Sydney area.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor have a balcony, but those are also upgraded rooms and may cost more.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Platinum Elite Member
We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and in particular the loyalty our Elite Marriott Rewards Members’ show towards our hotel brands. I am very glad to hear that our staff service has been excellent and we have treated you to your deserving status. It is always our purpose to ensure that every Platinum Elite guest receives the true “Marriott” experience and I am happy that on this occasion your expectations were exceeded.
Once again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcome you back.

Regards

Reviewed 29 October 2013

a month ago, the city rail do the track work on my area, last minute and found this hotel. it is nice hotel, and very clean, my son love it so much. the bed and the pillow is very comfy.

the cons only the breakfast menu, I hope they can have something different, If I can give their breakfast just average only, I hope they can give more variety on their breakfast menu.

no activities for my son, luckily close to Macquarie shopping centre, we can do ice skating, suggestion for hotel may be they can do some 50% discount for ice skating at macquarie ice ring. or some discount for shopping at macquarie shopping centre.

Room Tip: ask the high level
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1 mi away
Travelodge Hotel Macquarie North Ryde
Meriton Suites Chatswood
Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde

Been to Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde? Share your experiences!