“Good business hotel”

Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Well positioned basic hotel for business. It's in the heart of all the big business area. Breakfast is very poor value for money. Basic but with a hefty price tag. Glad I was not paying ! Lovely staff. But did not get the wake up call I ordered. I saw it written down correctly but still they had it down over 3 hrs late. Lucky I woke up very early.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I'd like to make a special mention of Megan at Courtyard Marriot North Ryde for her happy disposition, courtesy and for making the best coffee for me every morning. She deserve an 10+ out of 10. Cheers

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here for about 2 months and was happy with the staff and the room. They were pleasant and it was clean. The food wasn't anything great and there isn't much around here so unless you are visiting something specific in the general area, you will likely be in for a bit of travel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I made a reservation through Hotels.com, i requested 2 double beds in a balcony room. On arrival i had to give my credit card for a $100 deposit and $139 for the room for 1 night. All good, we get up to the room and no balcony, i phoned reception and was told if i want a balcony room i would have to pay an extra $50. I was not pre-pared to do this. The room was extremley stuffy, we had to have the door ajar for air, there were a pair of old shoes under one bed, a dirty sock under the other bed, the condiments draw was filthy with dried up old milk and spilt sugar. My children did not get to sleep until midnight as there was a function on down stairs and the music was thumping through our floor. On depature i went to reception to return our room key/card. I was asked again for my credit card, i told the ladie that i had already given it the day before. She said,oh no that was just a pre authorisation, you need to pay. So i gave my card, we went to exit the hotel in the carpark and the boom gate would not let us out with the ticket she gave me, so i went back in, she was very apologetic and said she'd open it from inside, this happened three times before we could get out!!! By this time i am extremely frustrated. We went on our day to Luna park for our daughters Birthday, went to purchase tickets and my bank was declined??? after checking with my bank the North Ryde Marriott had taken our reservation costs out of my bank twice. I had no funds to purchase Luna Park tickets for my family. i phoned Marriott North Ryde and i was told that it takes a few days for the money to go back into my account, and that it is their policy to take preauthorisation. YES I understand that but not twice!!!!! NORTH RYDE MARRIOTT you ruined our weekend away and broke my little girls heart on her birthday.

Room Tip: I would choose a balcony room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Holidays20132013
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Very good hotel and very convenient being close to my company office. The hotel shuttle bus brings you there (and to many other companies around) on demand and pick you up in the evening after you call them. For sure I will come back once in business trip to Sydney.
Only note: Buffet breakfast ends at 9:00am... So hurry up.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I've stayed in many hotels where fresh fruit is left in the room, but the kind note from Jessica welcoming me after a +20 hour flight set the tone for a great stay. What a difference her note made to make me feel very welcome!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is recommended by a swiming authority and it reportedly provides reasonable discounts for swimmers and their parents/carers while attending events during a weekend. We have used the hotel a couple of time and found it to be reasonable and the staff accommodating. As with most hotels we historically have been requested to provide a credit card swipe to ensure payment is received and any damage or theft paid for - no problem with that.
On the weekend of 5-6 July 2014 we turned up at the hotel and checked in - we had booked a room for 2 adults and 2 children and requested two double beds.
When checking in we were told we would have to 'pay' a $500 'deposit' on the room which would be re-imbursed upon checking out - strange but we wanted to get into room.
When we entered the allocated room found one king size bed with three pillows not 2 double beds. So downstairs I went and asked why not given what we asked for - told sorry could not guarantee the beds - even though I had rung the week before to confirm 2 double beds. Then also told no other rooms avaible with 2 double beds.
Back upstairs - checked with wife and yes she had contacted them as well and confirmed 2 doubles.
Back downstairs ans spoke to the same female staff member who appeared to treat my request as a joke and I was a pest rather than customer with valid complaint.
I then asked how much would it cost me to cancel booking and that I would go instead to Novotel, Sydney Olympic Park for the same money that she decided to get a manager who, after hearing that we were going somewhere else and what we were after, suddenly found a room with 2 double beds!
Cannot complain about the rooms, food, the staff in general (there are some great staff there - except perhaps the woman on the counter that day) but told no rooms and then less than 5 minutes later a room is found?
Then when we left they $500 'deposit' was retained and we when enquired a couple of days later where our money was told that it would not be processed for approximately a week and it was policy for the Courtyard to do it this way!!!!
We paid our bill when we checked out, we have stayed there a number of times before and never been required to pay a 'deposit' and we are left out of pocket untilthe money gets returned?
Sorry but this combination has ensurted that we will not be using again - will stay where a credit card swipe is sufficient not a deduction from our account.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Tanya R, Operations Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Mark H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
We understand and regret the inconvenience that you had to go through due to the blockage of funds on your card and the room type allocation at the time of your check in.

We have since investigated the details of the card transaction and I would like to take the opportunity to explain this to you and resolve it promptly to your satisfaction. Please feel free to contact me directly at Tanya.ritter@courtyard.com

Thank you very much for your kind words in relation to our associates and your food experiences at the hotel. We have noted your bedding preferences in your profile to ensure that we are able to accommodate this proactively in the future.

You have been a loyal guest and we would like to welcome you back and show you the consistent personalized attentive service our hotel is synonymous for.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kind regards,

Holiday Inn Express Sydney Macquarie Park
Travelodge Hotel Macquarie North Ryde
MGSM Executive Hotel and Conference Centre
Waldorf Pennant Hills Apartment Hotel

Been to Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde? Share your experiences!