“Comfortable and value for money”
Review of Perouse Lodge

Perouse Lodge
Ranked #3 of 11 Randwick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Small rooms, but comfortable bed and convenient location and good value for price. Arrived late and had trouble getting key out of combination box at front door - tried a number of times to ring duty manager, but went through to answering service - finally managed to get code to work on box - apart from that all good.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Perouse Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Thanks for leaving your comments.

We're happy to hear you thought the room was good value for money, it's something we are constantly trying to maintain at Sydney Lodges.

I'm sorry you had problems with the key safe as you arrived after hours, however it sounds like you were able to get in eventually. There is a number on the door which goes to a 24 hour manned phone, I'm sorry if this was not visible for some reason. If this was the number you tried I am very sorry if this was not answered promptly.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

If you have an early or late hospital appointment and wish to avoid the stress of traveling in rush hour then this is an ideal choice for value and location.

We had room 202 and it was very clean, including the bathroom which looked quite new. The bed was a king and very comfortable with plenty of pillows and good quality bedlinen. This made for a very comfortable night's sleep.

There are plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby so I didn't bother with the kitchen facilities. I would come back again for an overnight stay but would like to look at bigger rooms in the area for a longer stay.

• Stayed: July 2011

Thank you for your kind comments.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the location and rooms at Perouse Lodge, as well as our comfortable king-size beds in the King Rooms.

We do have a larger 1 Bedroom Apartment room type if you were looking to return for a longer period, which has a separate large living room. We hope you will be back to try this room next time.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

OK, let's do this efficiently:
Positives: good mattress, friendly reception, great email follow-up after my booking with detailed instructions, close to several yummy restaurants
Negatives: tiny room (107), very old and cramped bathroom (worn out mirror, old showerhead, no room to move - I'm sure (?) it was clean, but it didn't look it because it is old), pricey (!!!) (for a supposedly "budget accomodation", I paid $416 for 3 nights!).
I did not mind that they don't do the bed every day, as some other reviewers did. I can do my own bed!
So would I recommend it? Nope. The location does not overcome the claustrophaubic atmosphere of the room and the unjustifiable price. Get a nice appartment at Coogee instead, it will cost you the same, you'll also have a bunch of nice restaurants, and there's a direct bus line to the UNSW campus. This is where I'll be next week, when I'm back in Sydney.

Room Tip: Is there a
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments and feedback.

I'm very glad to hear you appreciated our high quality Sealy beds and our excellence in customer service that we pride ourselves on.

I'm sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the room you had booked. As for the room size, we do offer a larger 1 Bedroom Apartment which might be more suited to your needs, especially if you are staying for a week or more, it also has a full kitchen which might be handy for you.

At Sydney Lodges we take room cleanliness extremely seriously. We most certainly gave housekeeping clean every room between guests and then furthermore we have a housekeeping manager check each room before the next guest's arrival.

We believe the rates for Perouse Lodge are extremely good value and are unrivalled in the area. I'm sorry to hear you did not think this to be true. Usually apartments at Coogee are upwards of $220 per night, far above the low rates at Perouse Lodge.

We thank you again for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope you will visit us again in the future to experience our 1 Bedroom Apartments which I'm sure you will very much enjoy.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed here because of treatment in the Prince of Wales hospital which is only a short walk from the hotel. We had booked 2 nights but told them on the day of booking depending on how the treatent effected me that maybe we would have to stay a day or 2 longer. That I was told would be no bother. It was a good thing that I WAS able to travel the following day beacuse when asked at the desk that we may stay one more day the answer was.." the room is booked.."& that they had no more rooms. They said that people book online & they have no control over this, So I would strongly advice that IF you need more days book in advance you can always cancel providing you give 24 hrs notice. The room was small but comfortable. Needs more area to make tea etc. And the shower room is a joke.. only place I know where one can sit on the toilet & rest your head on the basin. Had to come out of shower & into bedroom to dry off. Also it is in bad need of a shelf to put soaps etc on, Rooms cleanish, found old dirtysocks in wardrobe with blankets which wasn't very good.

Room Tip: More area to place things also in bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments and feedback.

We're happy to hear you had an overall good experience and enjoyed the location of the hotel. It really is very central in Randwick and close to everything.

Perouse Lodge is extremely popular due to it's location and great value for money as you suggest. We are always happy to help and understand how sporadic the hospital movements can be, so amending bookings is never an issue. However, due to the popularity bookings do fly in if rooms are left available, so of course we always recommend booking the total length you might be staying and then amend it from there if you need to, to avoid being left without a room if we book out.

We take cleanliness very seriously. I'm sorry about the error of socks being left in your room. This is completely unacceptable and below our usually very high standards of room cleanliness. I have passed your comments on to the housekeeping manager to investigate how this happened.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you someday again, hopefully under better circumstances than a hospital visit.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stayed 3 days - the room was small but comfortable. Only changed towels on 3rd day - didn't even empty rubbish or make bed - cups & glasses weren't cleaned and no tea towel was provided. Room was 2nd on left from foyer and very noisy when other guests passing by - maybe some sort of sign asking other guests to be considerate of noise levels after 10 pm. Room had some odd odours but noticed this was from restaurant next door - closing windows and using aircon fixed that issue. . The cafe next door was excellent.
Was offered free wifi for a Facebook 'like' but had to ask and the late checkout offered was still only 11 am.
Carpet was tired looking and stained. Bathroom was good.
The accommodation is a little expensive for the facilities and service offered but was close to the location we needed to visit and so would probably use again

Room Tip: Book a room away from the foyer to avoid too much noise.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback.

We're happy to hear you enjoyed the very convenient location of Perouse Lodge. It really is in a great spot.

I do apologise for the noise. I do hope you notified reception so that they could rectify the issue. I apologise if this disrupted your night. I have passed your suggestion about the sign on to the manager of the hotel for consideration.

We're glad you got to benefit from the free WIFi and late check-out for the Facebook 'like', however this should have been 12pm, I apologise if you were not advised of this.

Thank you for letting us know about the carpet. We have noted this down and passed this on to the housekeeping and maintenance managers. We believe the value for money is unparalleled in the area, I'm sorry if you thought this was not the case.

We thank you again for leaving your review, and we look forward to seeing you again someday soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2011

The location is quite strategic. Around Randwick area, a lot of restaurants nearby. It's easy to go to the city and airport by bus. The room is rather small for 2 persons. Facilities inside the room is decent. Room service is a bit poor. They clean the room once every two days and I think they didn't change the bed sheet for a week. The price is slightly too expensive in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RYS28
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Perouse Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2011

Thank you for leaving your comments.

I'm glad you found the location convenient, being so central in the Randwick area.

We do have some larger King Rooms and 1 Bedroom Apartments available if you need more space in the room for your next visit. I apologise if these were booked out when you made your booking, they are very popular. Perouse Lodge is known for having some of the lowest rates in the area, and to keep these rates as low as possible for you, we service the rooms every second day and do a linen change once a week, just as you might do at home. We leave the optional $25 for extra room cleaning services up to you to decide, therefore allowing each guest to monitor how much they spend on their accommodation. Many of our guests enjoy this more optional pricing structure as it allows them to taylor an accommodation solution right for their budget.

Thank you again for leaving your comments and we hope to see you again one day in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

Great location if needing to visit Prince of Wales Hospital. Top quality local restaurants less than 500 metres down the road. Building very old and musty smelling. I think they have tried to update it without addressing moisture problems or something. Carpet didn’t look stained but it smelt damp. Room neat and tidy BUT over sprayed with deodoriser. Ensuite very small with a huge basin that you had to step around to sit on the toilet. Shower was fantastic although probably not as clean as I’d like. Great little cafe at the entrance that does a lovely breakfast and wonderful freshly squeezed orange juice. Over all we didn’t mind things that were not so good because of it’s convenience and our short length of stay. Three star is being generous. Oh and there are only 3 parking spaces out the back and no street parking nearby that is longer than 3 hours. Staff not at all helpful with directions to long stay parking. We parked at the hospital for $20 (maximum, one entry).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the great location of Perouse Lodge, being so close to the Prince of Wales Hospital and the University of NSW.

I'm sorry to hear you had some minor complaints about the building and the room itself. I have passed your comments about the maintenance issues on to the maintenance manager to address. I do apologise if the room had a strong deodoriser smell, our housekeeping team must have just cleaned it in time for your early arrival.

At Sydney Lodges we take cleanliness and hygiene very seriously. I am concerned to hear you felt your shower was not cleaned to our usual standard. I have passed this information on to our housekeeping manager to address how this occurred and prevention for the future.

I do apologise if you had some parking issues while in Randwick. Being a very busy area it can be tricky from time to time. Our team most certainly should have helped you to find a solution, I'll be speaking with the hotel management to investigate why we fell short in customer service on this rare occasion.

Thank you again for your feedback and comments.