“Stayed in hostels that are better!!”
Review of Avoca Lodge

Avoca Lodge
Reviewed 28 April 2012

The overwhelming impression I got from Avoca Lodge was that, once they had your booking and deposit money, they were not in the least bit interested in you.

There was no one on reception when I arrived, just an envelope with my name on it. Let myself in! Room very small, but clean and smelled nice. Small old sash windows that did not have locks. One was open slightly, obviously to help air out room, but judging by the number of wasps coming and going, there is a wasp nest somewhere very close to the window, so I closed it again quickly.

Towels and soap provided but no shampoo and conditioner. Eventually found tea and coffee making facilities and fridge, tucked away INSIDE wardrobe. (Do they not realise that refridgerators need ventilation?) Needless to say there was not much room left in wardrobe for clothes, and we could have cooked breakfast on top of the fridge, quicker than on the luke warm hotplates in the kitchen provided for guests!!

When I went back down to pay the balance of the accommodation fee, there was still no one on reception, but I could hear a TV going from an ajoining front toom, so I called out. Eventually the receptionist made an appearance, but she was not that interested in taking my money, saying I could pay on Sunday instead. (Clearly she was in a hurry to get back to the TV show she was watching.)

Could not get TV in room to work. Receptionist not much help there either. Bought a few provisions, but had to throw some of the dry stuff away as it got infested with ants.

Bed comfy but way too short for anyone over 5'6". Receptionist rarely at desk most of weekend, although she must have been there somewhere, as we bumped into her on her way out. (Maybe she has the only telly in the place that works properly and she was guarding it carefully!!).

Finally, on last day, made another attempt to pay the bill. Still no one at reception - even though I got up early especially as I was told (by the receptionist who we'd bumped into the night before, on her way out) that someone would be there at that time! Had to phone "on-call manager", at my expense, via mobile number pinned up at reception, on the eternally closed shutter. Had to wait for 45mins for someone to come (could have paid by credit card, but as I'd already taken cash out to pay, was reluctant to do that.) It was wet out so we were glad of the extra time in the dry, but had we been in a hurry, this could have proved very annoying. Voiced some of the complaints that we had, but manager similarly disinterested.

Truly, I have stayed in Youth Hostels that are run better than this hotel (if you can call it that). And it wasn't as cheap either!!

Don't bother with Avoca, 'cos they won't be that bothered about you!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JIMiB_202
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Avoca Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Hi JIMiB_202,

Thank you for taking the time leave your comments on Tripadvisor. We encourage all our guests to visit Tripadvisor after their stay to tell others about our lodges. Thank you for doing this.

We're sorry to hear you did not seem to enjoy your stay at Avoca Lodge. Of course, Avoca Lodge is a lodge, so to keep the prices as low as possible reception hours are limited. Furthermore, extras that you receive in much more expensive four and five star hotels are not provided such as daily housekeeping or bathroom amenities other than soap. We do have other accommodation facilities in Randwick, such as Perouse Lodge or The Blenheim Randwick that are a little more expensive, but do offer these extra services.

To make space for our guests, the refrigerators are tucked away in a cupboard in most of our lodges. You might not have seen that there is a ventilation outlet at the back of each wardrobe. Nonetheless, thank you for your concern.

After speaking with the manager, I understand you went down to pay after reception had closed, and you were asked to come back in the morning. Had you have come down to reception during opening hours you could have avoided the difficulties in payment. Furthermore, you could have come down at any time throughout your stay, rather than leaving it to the last minute.

When booking a budget accommodation facility such as Avoca Lodge, there is inevitably more onus on the guest to ensure their stay is enjoyable, much more than in a 5 star hotel where you can have anything you want done at the snap of a finger at any hour. Although, you'll pay upwards of $400 per night for this luxury. We offer convenient, affordable, lodge accommodation that most people find very appropriate. However, budget accommodation is not for everyone.

There are newer reviews for Avoca Lodge

Reviewed 19 November 2011

The Randwick Lodges are great places to stay, are normally affordable and generally pleasant places to stay. I recently stayed one night at Avoca Lodge, where I have stayed before and had no complaints. This occasion however I did not appreciate the $133 charge for one night's stay for a double room with no digital nor Foxtel television, and a shower that requires fixing, with broken windows. I would have had a better shower under a hose. Please, if you advertise certain amenities for certain rooms please charge accordingly. Perhaps it would be advisable to update all the rooms to the same level or at least have some of them at more of a 'budget' price. Also, I received the Facebook email prior to checking in to like Sydney Lodges on Facebook and receive a late check in, this did not happen. And are the Guests with Benefits cards still in use, or is it pointless me retaining this? I will give the benefit of the doubt and will stay again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Avoca Lodge was in the perfect location for the wedding i had travelled interstate to attend. I had advised when booking that I would like a room at midday (to get ready for the wedding). Upon arrival found no room available before 1.00pm. Finally got in to find large room with stained carpets, windows that couldn't be locked, no hairdryer (luckily found that before I wet my hair) and no milk with the tea and coffee facilities. On the upside, bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean. Received an email day before trip to offer a late checkout if I "liked" Avoca on facebook. Did this and the lady at reception had no idea what I was talking about. Finally after some persuasion, got an 11.30am checkout. I would probably try somewhere else if in Sydney again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We took our four year old to randwick childrens hospital. We stayed in the room with a double and two single beds. Satisfied for our over night trip. Bathroom is huge. I would stay again. My parents and grandparents have also stayed before too.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank 994pamT994
Reviewed 18 October 2011

The only thing I could complain about is the old CRT TV with no digital tv. Everything else was very good. I have used this place a few times while visiting the children's hospital and would say it's the pick of the lodges in Randwick.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Sorry guys, but this is not a nice place. I totally agree with other comments, dirty carpets, smelly hallways and rooms which feel like they need a once over with industrial disinfection. The obvious drug addict trying to check-in before we did should have been the give away, mental note! We paid $150.00 for the larger room with a double bed and two singles, the room just felt dirty from top to bottom, do yourself a favour and keep looking.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RWWNSW
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Room carpets are dirty. Internet speed is frustrating. Room service only once a week. Reception is un attended so you spent money to call the duty manager or reception

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo