“Budget accommodation, convenient location”
Review of Avoca Lodge

Avoca Lodge
Coffs Harbour
“Budget accommodation, convenient location”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed one night at the Avoca Lodge last week. Old building with "budget accommodation" on it should alert you not to expect glass and steel construction. Reasonably well-maintained facility, friendly & helpful Reception staff, clean room, adequate basic facilities i.e. fridge, dbl bed, desk & table & 2 chairs, coffee/tea making facilities, en suite w/ toilet, shower, medicine cabinet, basin and plentiful hooks. The room had aircon & fan and an opening window (quite a treat after staying in "luxury" places where you can't open the windows). Wireless Internet packages available. Did not sign up for access due to reluctance to enter credit card details rather than room details. Stayed in an upstairs room with very squeaky floor. Unfortunately, the chatting (smoking?) people were on my side of the lodge, hence "noisy" and "smelly" with the window open. At least that subsided by bed-time. And someone's alarm went off ridiculously early. THEY slept through it, I didn't. Situated conveniently directly behind Prince of Wales Hospital in Randwick. Short walk to the local convenience store/cafes/bars/restaurants. Notes to owners: please put a rubbish bin in the bathroom - and hand towels would be welcome...and please drill ventilation holes in the wardrobe for the refrigerator. I would definitely stay here again when visiting the POWH.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the "no-chatting/smoking" side of the building, unless that's your t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kim S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Indonesian first
Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2013

To be able to be beside my wife within 5 minutes after walking out of my room was fantastic, straight across the road pick up a hot chocolate at the hospital cafe into the lift and there so convenient especially on the rainy days we had. I stayed for 3 weeks and only had one noisy night, and never found the kitchen area untidy or crowded. The washing machine and dryer worked well and only once did I have to wait for the dryer. Being from Port Macquarie I found the15 minute walk down to Coogee beach each morning so refreshing and the closeness of supermarkets and food outlets a great bonus and I challenge you to find a better seafood pizza that came from the Royal hotel just around the corner. New and modern the Avoca is not but clean, comfortable and convenient it totally is and I also found the unlimited parking right out front or just around the corner a bonus

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Ian M
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Clean and comfortable, neither large nor too small, this met my expectations for a budget accommodation perfectly well. It was very quiet, the bed was comfortable, the TV, lights and taps worked etc. It was handy to UNSW which was convenient for my visit.

Room Tip: My room was upstairs around middle. No view, but sun gets in and no road noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Albury, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Clean rooms, good price for the area, close to shops, hospital, amenities, cinema and transport. Not far from the city and beaches too. There are also some free, unlimited parking spots out the front of the lodge (Avoca Street) and in the closest side street towards Randwick shopping centre.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Mole Creek, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2013

It is as it says "budget" accom. There were three motorised wheel chairs in the entrance hall requiring tricky negotiation for baggage. The over whelming smell of spices and curry made me think I was at the kitchen end of an Indian restaurant. I definitely was not going to accept a ground floor, near reception room. I was given 207 on the second. My first concern was the bedding had not been changed as the bed was not made and the room not cleaned. Two old soaps in the holders, full rubbish bin and long black hair through out the bathroom. I checked the bedding and inquired with a cleaner whom assured me she had just changed. It appeared clean and I'm an ex truckie having done hot bunk swaps two-up. The air con was good. TV was terrible as it was analogue and bad picture with 4 channels. $26 cab to airport. A block away from movies and great eating. 25 mins from NIDA, walking. Quiet enough for a country a lad. No cleaning came near the room in 4 days.

Room Tip: Second floor, opposite end of reception, as host can get loud.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Roofhandles
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I have stayed at Avoca Lodge twice recently, working at the local hospital. Location-wise, Avoca Lodge is fantastic. It is within very close walking distance to the main hospitals of Randwick (Prince of Wales, Sydney Children's, Royal Hospital for Women), shopping malls (including Woolies, Coles, miscellaneous retail, food courts), gyms, and cafes and restaurants. Randwick itself isn't too far away from Sydney CBD either.

I opted for the cheapest option possible, a single room. Even in the knowledge that it was budget accommodation, I was shocked at just how tiny it was. Size-wise comparable to a Formule 1 room. It got quite stuffy after a shower in the equally small bathroom, but I had to sacrifice privacy by opening the window and curtain, as my ground floor room opened right up to a busy GP car park.

Price-wise, I suppose it was quite reasonable considering its great location. Best of luck with parking (it's horrendous!). Mind you, it is in a busy area so that is to be expected.

One thing that was an annoyance was that a receptionist was almost always not present during its supposed opening hours. The 'We will be back in 5 minutes' was funnily deceptive. At one point, I saw the sign and came back in 5 minutes, but to no avail. I left and came back again, same thing. I was left knocking on the window to reception as I could hear people talking behind the door but was ignored. I had to call the manager on the 2-3 occasions that I needed to speak to reception. The manager always came within a few minutes of calling, but after a long and busy shift this was unnecessarily frustrating.

That being said, it was however very clean (aside from some dirty cutlery, which one would generally wash again themselves anyway). My room was also right across the small hallway to the communal kitchen, which was great.

Avoca Lodge forms a part of Sydney Lodges, a company which has many accommodation sites around Randwick. I probably wouldn't stay at Avoca again, mainly because Perouse Lodge (another Sydney Lodge site) is around the corner and similarly priced, but is that little bit nicer (stayed there also). Overall, it wasn't too bad. Book early to save some $$

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor - privacy is much better and the room is slightly bigger
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nikki201392
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Avoca Lodge is near the hospital and the uni of NSW for those visiting those places, which was the case with me. But it would also be a useful place to stay for any visitor to Sydney especially if you don't, want to be too touristy. I used to live in this area, and loved it.Randwick has good affordable restaurants, a pub, supermarket and handy public transport. From hear you can go to the city, Bondi Junction (change for Bondi Beach), the airport (by local bus, the 400 I think, please check on 131500.com for all Sydney transport). From the lodge you can walk to an area called The Spot which has a cute old cinema. You can walk or catch a bus to Coogee Beach. At Coogee beach you can go to the Woman's Baths (female only sea pool) for about 20 cents. Keep walking and you come to an ocean pool called Wylies baths. Entrance is a few dollars. Enjoy a swim, then have a coffee looking at the ocean. For a day out in good weather do the Coogee to Bondi walk, or a portion of it stopping for swims and at cafes in Bronte.
I have focused on location in my review, because that is why I would stay here. However, my single room with bathroom was clean and as a solo female I felt safe. This is not luxury but I would stay here again when I next need to be in the area. I would try to get a deal on wotif.com as I think all Australian accommodation is overpriced.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank travelbuggedoz
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at Avoca Lodge, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at Avoca Lodge. Also, thank you for booking direct with us through our Sydney Lodges website, by far the most affordable place to book with the lowest rates on the web and no booking fees.

Firstly, I can assure you that the best rates online are always when you book direct with the hotel, and not through travel agents such as Wotif.com.

We're so grateful for the extensive review on the area you've given. We think Randwick is one of the best places in Sydney with such close proximity to the beach, the city and the airport.

Thank you for taking the time to review Avoca Lodge. We look forward to seeing you at one of the Sydney Lodges again soon.