“Deceiving website photos”

Ranked #4 of 10 Randwick B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Deceiving website photos”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Very substandard accomodation.. Sun 16th/Mon 17th February 2014 at Randwick Lodge in a Heritage Room # 25.
The accommodation was substandard to say the least.
The photos on the website are very deceiving.
There was no soaps/shampoo etc.
The walls had dust all over them.
The air vent was black.
The tiles in the shower had black mould in the grout.
There was only one towel hook for 4 towels
The sheets were dirty.
The bedhead on the double bed was not attached to the bed and kept hitting the wall when you moved.
At no time during our stay did we see the desk manned and had to help other families enter the property as no-one knew what to do or how to get their key.

I would not recommend this hotel. At $150.00 per night it certainly was not worth it..

Room Tip: GO to the website and ask for the room that reflects those photos
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RobynL147
sydney_lodges, Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear RobynL147

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am saddened to hear of your dissapointing stay, in particular with the regards to cleanliness. I sincerely apologise that we have failed to deliver the usual standards that we are renowned for. I have personally addressed your concerns with the relevant Managers to ensure such shortcomings do not occur again in the future. My team and I hope to be given the chance to host you again in the future.

Please feel free to contact me via matthew@sydneylodges.com and i would be more than happy to personally handle a future booking for you.

Matthew Thoars

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
Reviewed 17 February 2014

************************************
Staying at Randwick Lodge has been very convenient. Nice and quiet, big room, good service and nice location in Randwick to all the shops. Would stay here again, anytime. Really happy. ************************************

• Stayed February 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

After a long flight from the uk all I wanted was a safe clean comfortable room, I got none of these! It was dirty, didn't seem safe, uncomfortable beds and no curtains! Nether the less I cut my stay short and left first thing in the morning (unfortunately had to pay a cancellation) please do not ignore the bad comments like I did! The receptionist was unhelpful and fairly rude. Nothing pleasant about my stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Georgi698
sydney_lodges, Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
RobynL147

Matthew Thoars

Travellers are raving about these Randwick hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The room had a bad smell.
There wer multiple stains in the bathroom.
Bathroom door did not close properly.
Airconditioner mad so much noise it could not be used.
Wall behind the bed was lumpy from mould.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ev12014
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed here for four nights with my two young boys. We had a back room up stairs. We arrived before check in and it was great to be able to leave our bags at reception while we walked around. We found the room to be comfortable and clean and were quite happy with it all, especially with the air-conditioning! It worked well and made it comfortable in the heat of summer! Wi-Fi was free probably because they can't expect payment for a sporadic Wi-Fi service. But I appreciated it being free and we did make some use of it with my two boys and got to download enough and check email and maps...so it was enough for our needs. Washing machine and dryer was great, easy to use and convenient. Reception were very helpful to offer change for these machines. I only had one complaint with the kettle in the room, took it to reception, and within minutes a brand new one was bought to my room with a smile. Thankyou for making that easy! This place was very convenient to everything I needed. We walked and caught buses. The shop across the road was also very helpful in telling me what bus tickets I needed. A supermarket very close by to do basic shopping and great restaurants also so close! The variety of food (no maccas!) meant there was something my kids liked. The bus from the airport also stopped very close to this place, near the hospital.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here and would consider going back here, unless I found a place that had all of this for a smaller price! In other words, if it wasn't so expensive to stay here with 2 kids, I would stay more often.

Room Tip: Our back room was quiet.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed a week at this accommodation because I wanted to stay way from central city and the lodge is located near coogee beach.
The reception was good and friendly.
I paid for parking space for my rental car but the space was taken by another guest without notice and I parked at another bay and told it to reception. The last day the space was taken again and I forced to park outside. The system was bad.
Free wifi was very poor and disconnected frequently.
You should never expect free wifi here.So terrible.
The young group was having party at night in the court yard and we could not sleep one night.
The cleaning lady was on solo duty one day and she was so grumpy and making so much noise. This was very unpleasant experience.
Location was good and there are cafes and supermarket.
I would look for another accommodation for my next visit.

1 Thank Akira N
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We arrived in time for check-in at 2:00pm. We were advised the neither of the rooms we had booked were ready for use and that we would have to wait. When I questioned the fact that check-in was advised online and in correspondence as 2:00pm we were advised that nothing could be done. Our luggage was stored while we waited but it delayed our plans for that day and created significant inconvenience.

The rooms themselves are of completely unacceptable quality. They are tired and old, the curtains are hanging off the curtain rails, there are cobwebs in the corner of each room due to lack of care by the housekeeping staff. There is significant mould in both bathrooms and dirt on the tiles in both rooms, the mirrors are tarnished and rusty, the fans in the bathrooms are incredibly noisy and the kettle in one of the rooms was filthy and unable to be used. We were also disappointed that the simplest of amenities such as a hand towel for the bathroom and a box of tissues were not provided. We stayed for 6 days, requested one room was not serviced during our stay but asked that the other was. The one we requested was serviced never was for our entire stay. I submitted a complaint about the accommodation to the management and have not received a reply which unfortunately appears to demonstrate their attitude towards their customers.

I appreciate that it is listed as ‘budget accommodation’ however the word ‘budget’ means ‘inexpensive’ and does not excuse the venue to be in disrepair, dirty or provide substandard service. I would strongly recommend not booking this accommodation.

2 Thank BeccaJT
sydney_lodges, General Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear BeccaJT

Matthew Thoars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Randwick
Royal Hotel at Randwick
Perouse Lodge
#3 of 10 in Randwick
The Blenheim Randwick
#9 of 10 in Randwick

Been to Randwick Lodge? Share your experiences!