“over night stay near hospital”
Review of Randwick Lodge

Randwick Lodge
Ranked #4 of 10 Randwick B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“over night stay near hospital”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Reception staff friendly and helpful stressful time with son having brain surgery arrived to room to find clean very comfortable beds with white sheets cant hide anything with white sheets and towels small bathroom but everything you need including adequate hot water fantastic location couldnt be closer to hospital cafes supermarkets only downside was parking problem after paying $15 a night couldnt fit car into space. Overall the accomadation was
excellent for the night stay needed while our son was in hospital flexible and easy to book for fewer or more stays as needed

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank victoria g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Indonesian first
Glenorchy
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We like staying here for the convenience of the buses and nearby restaurants. The staff are always very polite and friendly and willing to help with anything. The room we use is located behind the main building so it's very quiet. I understand they have issues getting staff to service the rooms and although they were clean, there is still room for a lot of improvement which would lead to a higher rating. They're doing work on the side entry steps but this is taking way too long, so be careful if you use this entrance. I'm not sure how the cleaning of the community kitchen works. It was never clean, so much so that I was pleased to only need to cook some toast in the toaster. The trays in the small toaster oven were full of fat and meat bits and the glass door was covered in splatter. The walls had not been wiped down.

Room Tip: rooms at rear of main building are quieter, but you pay more.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ramon L
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Hotel staff we polite, friendly and very well organised. The room was very clean, with everything I needed plus a very comfy bed. There was no trouble with late check-in. Convenient location for us. Highly recommended.

1 Thank S L
sydney_lodges, Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at Randwick Lodge, and thank you for booking direct with us, through our Sydney Lodges website. This is by far the most affordable and easiest way to book.

We're happy to hear you found Randwick Lodge comfortable and conveniently located. We're also excited to hear you found the team friendly and helpful, something we strive for with each guest everyday.

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

the room was fine for where I needed to be and near shops and public transport. The out door eating area was nice and the kitchen facilities fine. Wifi was terrible!! The room size was fine. nothing flash and a bit dated.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jolene F
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed here one night for work. Was mortified reading previous reviews of the property but honestly didn't find it too bad. Stayed in room 41. Lady in reception was friendly and very helpful when I checked in pointing out the supermarkets and cafes to me. My room was actually a decent size. Had a double bed and single bed. Found the linen to be extremely clean and the bed and pillows comfy. The bathroom wasn't very nice and was extremely small but for a one night stay this didn't bother me. There were three bottles of shampoo and conditioner and three soaps in the bathroom. Tea and coffee facilities were provided in addition to a fridge. I actually quite liked how the rooms all open up to a courtyard with tables but can also understand that this may get a bit noisy but for my one night stay this was not an issue. I would stay here again short-term for business or if I needed to be near the hospital. Overall a positive experience.

Outback Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Sometime during the day on 3rd April, 2014 someone came into my room at Randwick Lodge and stole my jewellery. I didn’t leave the pouch lying around it was always inside my closed up red leather backpack. I last saw the jewellery about 9 am that morning as I took a piece out and then returned it as I decided to not wear any of the jewellery. When I returned to the room in the evening there was no evidence of the room having been serviced or disturbed but I did add something valuable to that bag without looking for the little pouch of jewellery and from that time till I got home I never let that bag out of my sight.

I am about to report the matter to the police and have photos of the jewellery. Inside this bag was a unique necklace of professionally cut and faceted topaz jewels and gold beads interspersed between them with a similar matching bracelet. Additionally there was matching heavy set topaz earrings. The bag also contained 18 carat gold earrings with a large, very special faceted amethyst and diamond as well as another set of 18 carat gold earrings with a faceted high quality large peridot in each one and small diamonds.

I have travelled all over the world and it was only in Sydney that anything like this has ever happened to me. I hide my stuff, it was in a closed bag, at the bottom, and I didn’t consider it highly valuable for someone to steal. But to me it was very special and my privacy and property has been violated.

To add injury to insult, the General Manager of Randwick lodge accused my husband of making “false accusations” and that if he (the manager) questioned staff it would be “defamation of character”. On the two days that I repeatedly rang this manager he never once returned my call or made any attempt to call me. I really wonder if this manager has many similar incidents and just chooses to ignore it. I hope the police can circulate the photographs of the jewellery around the pawn shops and retrieve the pieces.

I am absolutely devastated. By the way, our guests from America were there for 5 days and never once had their room serviced and ran out of towels. In my booking slip I asked for car parking and understood it was first come first serve basis but I felt that this process was not very transparent and we didn’t get parking till the last day.

2 Thank Zanjabeel

Travellers are raving about these Randwick hotels

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hotel like most others in Australia is unnecessarily expensive and NOT VALUE FOR MONEY. But then that's something that can be said of mostly all hotels in Australia, however, this one beats them all in being completely Trash! Here is why:
1. The main door opens only at 10am. So be prepared to sit on your luggage till then outside in the garden of the hotel if you land there early in hope for atleast checking in your luggage into the clock room.;
2. The girls at the reception, albeit extremely helpful and friendly are of not much help in actually getting any work done. For example a non working air conditioner in the room may take more than 2 days for them to have taken care of. Till then be prepared to sleep in the heat. (The man at the reception however is more resourceful and is the man to go to);
3. The rooms are small, like really small in size;
4. No room cleaning is done for 3 days at a stretch here in this hotel. Not even the bed sheets changed. Somehow their staff does not find it weird.
5. Finally its not like you get a room here in this hotel for cheap. You still pay 150 USD appx for a room here, and get services and standards of less than an Econo Lodge of USA of 60 USD. So why stay at this hotel unless you really want to suffer and are going through a sadistic streak. Its an avoid at all costs!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tripathianupam
Dear tripathianupam

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am saddened to hear of your disappointing stay at Randwick Lodge. I sincerely apologise that we have failed to deliver the usual standards that we are renowned for. However i would like to address some of the issues you have raised in particular our opening times. Randwick Lodge is open from 8am - 8pm Monday-Saturday and 9am on 9am on Sunday. Due to your reservation being during the change over of daylight saving i believe you may have just misread times as we are defiantly always open during these business hours. I apologise the issues with Air conditioning and delay in fixing the problem. Please be aware that this is not our standard response time. . My team and I hope to be given the chance to host you again in the future.

Please feel free to contact me via matthew@sydneylodges.com and i would be more than happy to personally handle a future booking for you.

Kindest regards,
Matthew Thoars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Randwick
Royal Hotel at Randwick
Perouse Lodge
#3 of 10 in Randwick
The Blenheim Randwick
#9 of 10 in Randwick

Been to Randwick Lodge? Share your experiences!