“Great place to stay close to UNSW ”
Review of Alison Lodge

Alison Lodge
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I have to go down to UNSW workshops as an external student and this is a great place to stay. Easy walk up the road to UNSW for the bio lecture theatre, close to buses and cheap restaurants for dinner.
Place is clean, has TV, fridge and feels safe. Have stayed here twice now and would stay again and recommend others if looking for cheap stay close to uni.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank gaznic

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is an excellent overnight stay. So clean and quiet. I stayed in a single room with shared bathroom, could not fault the tidiness and privacy. I walked up the road for a pub dinner, caught up with my son who lives in rand wick, and then had another up the road breakfast. You CANNOT do better price wise, for the location and convenience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Chilemum
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed in a premium room with it's own kitchenette. I was very pleased with my stay at Alison Lodge. It was handily located to a number of bus routes, and to the venue I was attending. I phoned ahead of time to let them know I would be arriving after hours and they arranged to leave keys out for me. The room was small and tidy, with clean sheets and really comfortable pillows. Staying at cheaper accommodation is always a risk, and I was very pleased with Alison Lodge. There were more rooms than I realised (38 or so), and they do do some longer term stays, but I never heard a peep from the other rooms. The shared bathrooms were old and clearly well used, but also clean. There is no soap or hand towels in the bathroom/toilet, but I was supplied with soap, shampoo, conditioner and two average sized towels in my room.
There are plenty of restaurants/cafes/stuff along the next block, and I had several enjoyable meals out.
There is wifi (I believe it was a $5 charge), however the signal did not reach to my room (which was at the end of the corridor). There was a sofa by the front door where I was able to sit and access the internet.

Overall, for $90 a night I wasn't sure what I was in for, however the place was clean and tidy, and well located for my purposes. I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah255118
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I went into this really looking for a cheap place to stay. I was having surgery and needed to stay 1 night, hubby needed to stay a few nights while I was in hospital and funds were limited (as are options for accommodation around RHW/POWH/SCH). Parking in the vicinity is quite sparse and once we found a park, we stayed parked there for a few days as we were concerned we would not find another spot (luckily they are not paid parking spots-nor are they timed). The room was clean and presentable. We had to leave the window open for air flow however as the building is at a major intersection, this meant putting up with really intrusive traffic noises all night long (if we closed the window, it would have been too stuffy to breathe). When we booked, there were no en-suite rooms available so we decided shared bathrooms would be fine for our purposes. The sharing is not the issue, the water pressure (not enough to wet my hair to use the pre-surgery wash I was required to use) and lack of access was! Getting into the shower almost required the skills of a contortionist! After I left, my husband stayed on for 2 more nights and the traffic noise did not abate, however he did have some friends visit...I say friends but the little fellas were strangers before they made themselves known to him...however after 2 days of sharing a room, the insects were no longer strangers. After our stay, we had a discussion about "if we knew then what we know now" would we have stayed there. Short answer...no. I am frugal and always ready to save money but I believe that budget accommodation should still leave a better impression than this.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Felicity A
Reviewed 7 April 2014

When you plan a surprise visit to Sydney and book late, you may end-up here. Don't get me wrong - I am not saying this a terrible place but you get what you pay for - almost! The Manage - well yes, that topic needs some improvement; a crash course in friendliness would be a good start. Then the rooms: well they are very basic but sufficient if you plan to go out anyway. Rooms were clean though, at least that's a real plus. I did not like that you have to put out the linen and rubbish yourself - it's just a nuisance and should be included in this asking price. Anyway, once you are over the initial "shock", we actually got used to it and if you plan to stay in Sydney for a while it does not break the bank, although in terms of value it is still pretty expensive.

Room Tip: get a room with it's own bathroom.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

The lodge is within walking distance to PoW and UNSW. It is a cheap stay but this because most of the rooms have shared bathrooms. However, the rooms are clean, have a kitchenette and table & chairs (even the single rooms), and in my four stays there I haven't had to wait to use the shared bathroom.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed here 3 separate times over 2 months. The first time was in a family room with a single and double bed, the double was made(where my friend slept) but my single only had a blanket and a matress protector. No sheets or pillowcase. The second time was in a single room, the size of the room was good, but my bed was not made very well at all. And I wasn't given a tea towel to dry my dishes or soap, shampoo and conditioner like I was given on my previous stay. When I asked for a tea towel I was given a few squares of an old bath towel to use. There was also no plug for the in room sink. On my 3rd stay we werent given a tea towel again. The room was a good size but it was quite hot. Overall I would stay here again. The fridge and microwave were both good and the bed was comfortable enough. The location was good as I was visiting someone in Prince of Wales Hospital.

• Stayed: February 2014