All reviewsprince of walespublic transportmin walkfoot trafficstay there againwithin walking distancecentral stationold buildingacross the roadsydneybusessuitcases
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was a visiting scholar to UNSW and had to find a room last minute and was lucky enough to book a week and a half at High Cross. To summarize, I've stayed at 6 hotels in the Randwick area and High Cross is the best place I have stayed if you're looking to pay ~$100 or less per night.

Pros:
1. Convenient location - right next to the Spot, Belmore Road, walking distance to UNSW and even Coogee beach. A lot of bus lines passing by (pretty easy access to city center).
2. Generally quiet - the lodge is offset enough from Belmore to not get a ton of foot traffic (for example I also stayed at Randwick Lodge just up the road and found it was super noisy with car and people traffic until about 1-2 am every night)
3. Clean, spacious rooms - more room than some other places in the area and the bathrooms/kitchen area was quite clean
4. On-site laundry facility - $3 for washer and $3 for dryer, but they both worked great and were convenient.
5. Staff was friendly and helpful when I needed to leave my bags upon check out.
6. I didn't need to change the temperature since the weather was so temperate, but it did look like there was a cooling unit (and there was an extra blanket in the wardrobe for colder months). Some other places in the area rely on fans for comparison.

Cons:
1. Internet is through an external company (Myport) and is thus very expensive. Think $50/week or $10/night with a limited amount of data.

Overall, this would be my top choice of where to stay if I ever have to visit UNSW again.

Room Tip: Laundry facility and kitchen are on the ground floor, but there are a few balconies on the top floor with seating if you'd rather be close to this.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I think it is good value, considering location and alternatives. Plenty of eateries, Coles Woolies,etc within walking distance. Movie theater 5 mins walk,
If you want a place that has all the trimmings and daily service, don't stay there.If you want a clean room to sleep in and helpful staff, stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

It is good value for money. Rooms are clean and well kept. Altough parking is limited, (only 3 spaces) there is room on the street or adjacent business.

We only saw a dead cockroach at the entrance, but it meant they clean and spray often.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We arrived 30 minutes before our arranged time of 11am to be today our room wasn't ready yet and to come back at 2pm. When we returned we were greeted in a much nicer manner and that continued for the rest of the stay.

Considering the room was for sleeping and not for spending a lot of time in, it was pretty good. There are however no face cloths, no shampoos or conditioners, just the soap. The TV in the room was hanging off the wall over the wardrobe, the only place you could have an unobstructed view was from a kitchen chair on the opposite side of the room. Apart from that it was fine.

I wouldn't recommend it for people needing to spend a lot of time in the rooms however for stays where you will only be sleeping in the room it is just fine.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teh_Jules
Reviewed 1 August 2013

No service to our rooms for the three days we were there, unfriendly reception, tiny bathroom, and too pricey for what you get! And there is NO PARKING so you have to take the risk of leaving your car out on the street overnight (the Lodge has three car parks at the rear which are always taken). Do I need to say more?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family