High Cross Park Lodge
Royal Hotel at Randwick(Randwick)(Great Value!)
US$102
Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee Sydney(Coogee)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$105
Dive Hotel(Coogee)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Breakfast included
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments(Coogee)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$117
US$128
  • Beachfront
Meriton Suites Zetland(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$76
  • Pool
Meriton Suites Waterloo(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$95
  • Pool
All reviewsprince of walespublic transportmin walkfoot trafficcoogee beachstay there againneeded somewhereconvenient locationwithin walking distanceold buildingstayed one nightacross the roadsydneybusessuitcasesbondi
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Checking in the lodge without inspecting the room was a mistake never to be repeated which I would not have done but having flown for 23 hours I was jet legged and just wanted to get done with it.Getting into the room it was stuffy clearly carpets needed a thorough cleaning to lift dust.Requested another room there was none.No more cleaning for seven days unless you pay extra.Requested to move out & were told 48 hours notice.Decided to hold out for 48hrs.After 48 hrs went to advise check out and to request refund for remaining 3 days.All hell broke loose with a war of words from staff member in charge whose ettiquette went against all descriptions of hospitality.We were told off by lady at reception refered to as Julie, who did not want to entertain our issue and went on to draw down the shutter atcthe reception to close us off after shouting all sorts of uncomplimentary and harsh words.It was clear she did not want to discuss the issues around the matter. Am still under severe shock.Had I not ended up in another hotel I would have come out with a very bad experience of Sydney lodging and reception service culture.I would never recommend this lodge to anyone due to the rude nature of the staff and poor service.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rose M
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor. We encourage all travellers to let others know about their experience.

We're very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately none of our team were able to confirm that you gave notice that you would be checking out early. This meant that when you came to reception to check-out, this was the first time we had heard you were unhappy with the room and intended to leave. We were happy to refund you for any room nights past the 48 hours notice from that point. It was when you became aggressive and physically threatening that our team closed the shutter to avoid any conflict with you. That our staff were verbally abusive to you is just fiction. It would be a dismissible offence for any staff member to be anything but courteous and helpful to our guests.

We wish you a safe and comfortable trip back home.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Checked in late at night no worries. Room was far from the street so no street noise. Room was a good size. However, interior walls are paper thin so could hear every last grunt and moan from the room next door! Also, there was no soap in the bathroom...ick. And the tv was mounted high on the wall on the side rather than end of the bed, which was a little odd. I come to this area regularly for work and am trying out all the accommodation in the area. I won't return here.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kimberley J

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We've clearly fallen short of our normal standards and have left your room with no bathroom amenities, which absolutely includes soap. We're very sorry for this and hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Sorry you had issues with noise from other guests. We always recommend contacting reception if this is the case, so we can deal with the issue immediately to ensure your stay with us is comfortable and as quiet as possible.

We hope to see you at one of our Sydney Lodges again soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Called the Avoca Lodge Randwick to book a room for one night. Arrived early evening to find reception closed. Note said call one of two numbers. The mobile number did no connect; the main number went through to the High Cross Park Lodge. Round the corning. Apparently we were booked in there and no one had mentioned that to us. Nice lady came to get us and told us that when I called to book the room the call must have gone through to the High Cross Lodge.
We did not have a nice stay at the High Cross Lodge for these reasons.
1. If you are at all claustrophobic you will certainly freak out at sleeping in room 113. The saying swing a cat comes to mind.
2. The window looks out on a brick wall
3. On opening the bathroom door the smell of bleach hit us in the face and was overpowering, the smell never left the room.
4. The ill-fitting door streamed light in from the hallway, the lights were on all night.
5. The fire alarm was well placed over the bed and a funnel of green light beamed down onto our faces. Together with the alarm clock and red light from the TV perched on a small table beside the wardrobe that was pushed up to the bed. You have to climb over the bed to get into it.
6. The very old empty fridge rattled all night.
7. Getting up in the night for a pee I hit my toe on hole in the edge of a floor tile.
8. At around 2.30am the scratching started, sounded like a rodent of some kind under the sink unit or behind the fridge.
9. It was not the cockroaches as we killed them earlier in the bathroom.
This High Cross Lodge charged us $115 plus $2.50 for paying by credit card for the pleasure of staying with them a night. It is the worst place I have ever stayed at and I suggest that you check out your room before you decide to book in for a night stress.
Come morning (Thank goodness) tired and grumpy I went to give the keys back and mentioned that they had cockroaches in the bathroom and to check out the rodent situation. The reply I got back was "there are no cockroaches in our rooms". I did not bother going into anything thing else. I told her I would be writing a review and she thanked me! Well here it is.
Holiday Inn - queen bed $120
High Cross Park Lodge Randwick double bed dinghy, dirty, cramped, smelly uncomfortable $115
Don't be fooled by the photographs and make sure you are booking the lodge you actually want to stay in.

Room Tip: Make sure you are booking into the Lodge you called. Don't go by the photographs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sarah C

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.

We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Of course, we take pest complaints very seriously. We shut down the room after your stay and had it sprayed as a precaution. However, we were unable to find any of the issues you've complained of here before the pest-control entered the room.

We hope you will give Sydney Lodges a chance to redeem ourselves one day in the future. We're very sorry you had an uncomfortable night with us.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We are visitors from New Zealand and we enjoyed our stay of seven days. The hotel is close to Ranwick Shopping Centre and buses to get into City and Railway Station. The staff were great, and gave us excellent service. Good security at night and the room although compact gave us all that we needed. The hotel is close to main roads but noise was not an issue. Access to a laundry, kitchen and barbeque was a good additional amenity. If we have a slight complaint it is that the double bed wasn't big enough as we are both quite tall and the rooms are only serviced every 7 days and it would have been better if they had been serviced more often. We would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 201and our friends were in room 202 as we could sit out on walk way with out blocking any one getting pass.Our stay was excellent,location was great for us.Will stay again next time.Nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lesley E
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I had a recent stay in High Cross Park Lodge. It is Very close to Supermarkets, different types of food outlets, few minutes walk to UNSW. The room and bathroom are clean and tidy. The small pantry inside the room with all the utensils helped me to prepare my own bed tea. AC was very quiet giving the right temperature. TV can be rotated to get the best view from any location. Separate ventilation fan for the bathroom kept the floor dry all the time. The common pantry and laundry provide the guests extra facilities. Access to the room at any time of the day was easy.
Very first day I reached the Lodge at midnight. The room key was kept for me with the welcome letter in the code-locked box. The surrounding area was very quiet, though very close to the main streets.

Few things I had to bear up are; The size of the room is just enough to store the hand baggage. And the window was just opposite to the adjoining bathroom window. I had to keep the curtains drawn across all the time. The room is cleaned only once in few days so are the towels.

I will select the High Cross Park lodge, next time when I visit Sydney.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family