“Great Location, Great Value!”

High Cross Park Lodge
Ranked #7 of 11 Randwick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Walking distance from buses, shops, restaurants, the hospital, UNSW and beach. Only a 15 minute or so bus ride to the city. Located just off a busy road and opposite a park. I stayed in a twin single room, which was clean and comfortable. It had a very nice ensuite bathroom, and tea and coffee making facilities. The door to the room came off a shared balcony, and a large window let in plenty of light. The staff were friendly and helpful with offering tours and information about the area. There was a nice outdoor bbq and seating area. Although the room was simple and definitely not 5 star, it was great for the price I payed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We've glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thought High Cross Park Lodge was good value for money.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

A nice place to stay in a beautiful old converted terrace? house.
I stayed here whilst my Wife was in the Prince of Wales Hospital for an operation, so it was perfect for my needs. Literally a five minute walk to the door of the hospital to visit my Wife each day.
My room was very nicely set out with everything I needed for my stay.
Whilst the room was obviously old, it had been nicely updated and had quite modern furnishings in essentially brand new condition. For someone with chronic back trouble, the bed was very comfortable and I had about the best sleep I have had away from my own bed.
Unfortunately I did not have time to have a look around the Lodge but the parts I saw looked very nice.
The staff were very helpful and coped with a fortnight delay of my stay when the hospital postponed the surgery. There was no problem to change my booking only a few days before I was due to arrive and they offered a reduced rate for my special circumstances.
Thanks for having me...

My only complaint should actually be aimed at the inconsiderate guest who stayed in that room before me - clearly a non-smoking room - but they chose to smoke in the room so I had to put up with their stink even when the room had been aired for days before I got there.

Room Tip: A great place for out of town people to stay when visiting family in the prince of Wales Hospital...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank noooool

Sorry to hear you were staying with us to visit the hospital however it is good to hear you had a conformable stay.

We're upset to hear you thought a guest had been smoking in that room prior to your stay. We've made a not of this and have shut the room down for a 2 day steam clean to ensure there is no lingering smell. Sorry you experienced this. It's always best to let us know if you're not happy with anything about your room so we can room move you immediately. Thank you however, for letting us know about this.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you again some day under better circumstances.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Walked into the nearest place I could find for one night while my daughter was in hospital, helpful staff, tiny but well priced room with all facilities, perfect for just one night, secure and quiet, towards the back. Easy walk to shops and hospital

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We look forward to having you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

In the heart of Randwick with quick bus access to the city. Room for two was fairly small, clean enough, but for sleeping only. Not for a romantic weekend. Situated at back of building so noise minimal. Excellent advice and manner from day 2 receptionist though first day receptionist was curt. Lots of excellent eating places nearby.

Room Tip: Ground floor back room was quiet enough.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us, and thanks for booking direct through our Sydney Lodge website.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Checking in the lodge without inspecting the room was a mistake never to be repeated which I would not have done but having flown for 23 hours I was jet legged and just wanted to get done with it.Getting into the room it was stuffy clearly carpets needed a thorough cleaning to lift dust.Requested another room there was none.No more cleaning for seven days unless you pay extra.Requested to move out & were told 48 hours notice.Decided to hold out for 48hrs.After 48 hrs went to advise check out and to request refund for remaining 3 days.All hell broke loose with a war of words from staff member in charge whose ettiquette went against all descriptions of hospitality.We were told off by lady at reception refered to as Julie, who did not want to entertain our issue and went on to draw down the shutter atcthe reception to close us off after shouting all sorts of uncomplimentary and harsh words.It was clear she did not want to discuss the issues around the matter. Am still under severe shock.Had I not ended up in another hotel I would have come out with a very bad experience of Sydney lodging and reception service culture.I would never recommend this lodge to anyone due to the rude nature of the staff and poor service.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rose M
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor. We encourage all travellers to let others know about their experience.

We're very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately none of our team were able to confirm that you gave notice that you would be checking out early. This meant that when you came to reception to check-out, this was the first time we had heard you were unhappy with the room and intended to leave. We were happy to refund you for any room nights past the 48 hours notice from that point. It was when you became aggressive and physically threatening that our team closed the shutter to avoid any conflict with you. That our staff were verbally abusive to you is just fiction. It would be a dismissible offence for any staff member to be anything but courteous and helpful to our guests.

We wish you a safe and comfortable trip back home.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Checked in late at night no worries. Room was far from the street so no street noise. Room was a good size. However, interior walls are paper thin so could hear every last grunt and moan from the room next door! Also, there was no soap in the bathroom...ick. And the tv was mounted high on the wall on the side rather than end of the bed, which was a little odd. I come to this area regularly for work and am trying out all the accommodation in the area. I won't return here.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kimberley J

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We've clearly fallen short of our normal standards and have left your room with no bathroom amenities, which absolutely includes soap. We're very sorry for this and hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Sorry you had issues with noise from other guests. We always recommend contacting reception if this is the case, so we can deal with the issue immediately to ensure your stay with us is comfortable and as quiet as possible.

We hope to see you at one of our Sydney Lodges again soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Called the Avoca Lodge Randwick to book a room for one night. Arrived early evening to find reception closed. Note said call one of two numbers. The mobile number did no connect; the main number went through to the High Cross Park Lodge. Round the corning. Apparently we were booked in there and no one had mentioned that to us. Nice lady came to get us and told us that when I called to book the room the call must have gone through to the High Cross Lodge.
We did not have a nice stay at the High Cross Lodge for these reasons.
1. If you are at all claustrophobic you will certainly freak out at sleeping in room 113. The saying swing a cat comes to mind.
2. The window looks out on a brick wall
3. On opening the bathroom door the smell of bleach hit us in the face and was overpowering, the smell never left the room.
4. The ill-fitting door streamed light in from the hallway, the lights were on all night.
5. The fire alarm was well placed over the bed and a funnel of green light beamed down onto our faces. Together with the alarm clock and red light from the TV perched on a small table beside the wardrobe that was pushed up to the bed. You have to climb over the bed to get into it.
6. The very old empty fridge rattled all night.
7. Getting up in the night for a pee I hit my toe on hole in the edge of a floor tile.
8. At around 2.30am the scratching started, sounded like a rodent of some kind under the sink unit or behind the fridge.
9. It was not the cockroaches as we killed them earlier in the bathroom.
This High Cross Lodge charged us $115 plus $2.50 for paying by credit card for the pleasure of staying with them a night. It is the worst place I have ever stayed at and I suggest that you check out your room before you decide to book in for a night stress.
Come morning (Thank goodness) tired and grumpy I went to give the keys back and mentioned that they had cockroaches in the bathroom and to check out the rodent situation. The reply I got back was "there are no cockroaches in our rooms". I did not bother going into anything thing else. I told her I would be writing a review and she thanked me! Well here it is.
Holiday Inn - queen bed $120
High Cross Park Lodge Randwick double bed dinghy, dirty, cramped, smelly uncomfortable $115
Don't be fooled by the photographs and make sure you are booking the lodge you actually want to stay in.

Room Tip: Make sure you are booking into the Lodge you called. Don't go by the photographs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sarah C

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.

We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Of course, we take pest complaints very seriously. We shut down the room after your stay and had it sprayed as a precaution. However, we were unable to find any of the issues you've complained of here before the pest-control entered the room.

We hope you will give Sydney Lodges a chance to redeem ourselves one day in the future. We're very sorry you had an uncomfortable night with us.