“Second visit every bit as good as our first” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Russellee B&B

Russellee B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Tumut B&B and Inns
Shellharbour, Australia
“Second visit every bit as good as our first”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed in the Blue Wren suite a few years back when visiting Tumut with parents-in-law and sister-in-law. We so enjoyed our stay there that I always vowed to return again so when I decided to take the kids to the snow (Mt Selwyn) at the last minute I was very pleased Russellee was available.
This time we booked the Rosella studio as there was only myself and 3 boys. To our surprise and delight, Tony and Dorothy offerred to upgrade us (same price) for the first couple of nights saying it would give the kids more room to chill out in and to give me the opportunity for a break away from them at night. How thoughtful was that! They also offerred to put on some washing for me after a day at the snow and moved heaven and earth (it seemed) to ensure the kids a) had the dvds they wanted to watch and (beat this!) b) even sourced a second dvd player so the little ones could watch a dvd while the older one watched his beloved state of origin match! The snow wasn't that great this last week so when I mentioned we wouldn't go back up again for a third day at the snow, Dorothy contacted her friend at the visitor centre a lined up a kid-friendly possibility for me to have up my sleeve.
To say Tony and Dorothy are wonderful hosts is an understatement. Not only did they look after our needs, they anticipated them as well - I did not ask for all the things they did to make our stay more comfortable/enjoyable, they thought of them and offerred them to us. This touched me immensely. Did I mention how they put lights and heating on in our unit one night when they noticed we had not returned from the snow before dark? And that they loaned my boys some swimmers when we decided to brave the waters of the thermal pool at Yarrangabilly Caves?
We moved into the Rosella suite for the other couple of nights of our stay as the Blue Wren suite was booked for those and were very deligted with this accommodation as well. It was spacious and just as well appointed as the Blue Wren suite.
So if you are after a homely, comfy, character-filled farmstay, close to town, with amazing hosts for a very reasonable price-tag, don't go past Russellee. You won't be disappointed. I even managed to score a couple of gifts for my mother and sister-in-law at great prices, purchasing a couple of Dorothy's beautiful patchwork creations. Though perhaps the in-laws won't get to receive them after all!
Russellee will always be one of those special holiday spots for us. Up until this week it has (among other things) been the place where our second boy discovered his love for the Lion King. Now it is also the place where they played with Jessie (the dog). Small things make great memories for kids! We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sharon A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Penrith, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Only got to stay one night as I was on a work trip but it exceeded all my expectations. Accommodation was fantastic, hosts were lovely and I cant wait to go back and spend a few days there to enjoy all they had to offer. Best B&B I have been to and a lot better than all but a couple of motels I have stayed at.

Would be great for couples & brillant for young children.

Room Tip: The kookaburra room is self contained apart from the main house 10/10.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Tumut seemed a logical place to break up a Melbourne to Sydney drive and for exploring a bit of the Snowy Mountains area. We decided on a B&B ahead of a motel or hotel and Russellee provided a comfortable and convenient stay. We stayed in "Kookaburra" which is a cabin a little away from the main house. The owners are friendly and helpful and came out to meet us when we pulled up. The cabin was cosy and well heated and we were certainly left with enough food for breakfast. We got the cabin for $110 a night which is great value. Rates vary of course depending on which room you book and when you book it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aus_PM_73
Ariah Park, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

An amazing place to go and relaxed and be pampered! Everything we could ever need was just there, Breakfast was so good it was worth waking up for!! We are already planning our next trip it was that good!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

My partner and I, along with our three dogs had the absolute pleasure of being able to stay in the Kookaburra Cabin at Russellee. Whilst it was only a short stay - I cannot recommend it highly enough! It is hard enough to find a place that will let us take the three dogs, but this one even let our little ones stay inside - just like at home. The cabin is perfect for a little break away, and the fenced verandah meant we could truly relax and enjoy the surroundings. The BBQ and the breakfast hamper sealed the deal. I don't want to ruin for anyone - but Dorothy and Tony could charge twice as much and it would still be great value.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharon N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

A friend and I met here, each with our two dogs (Four in total!). We stayed at the very roomy Kookaburra cottage. Wonderfully configured so we each had a king size single bed.
There was an available fenced and shady orchard we could have left the dogs in for a trip to a National Park, but the great thing about Tumut is, it's on the western side of Snowy Mts and dogs can go to many forest areas here.
The cottage had a shaded verandah and everything you need-BBQ so not too hot inside in summer.
Great riverside walk in Tumut too as well as a large farmy area attached to Russellea.
And the stars at night- unbelievable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank GailCurrie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Me and my husband had a wonderful experience and the most relaxing atmosphere stay we ever had. Dorothy and Tony were very helpful and I had ability to learn quilting from Dorothy. I recommend this place for anyone who wishes to spend their holiday peacefully and the memories will stay forever. Rosella was a very cosy accommodation and we are looking forward to visit again.

Room Tip: every accommodation has got difference features according to your personal requirements.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple