“Very Good motel in a boring place”
Review of Sandpiper Motel

Sandpiper Motel
Sandpiper Motel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ulladulla
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We stayed for 2 nigths in this motel.
The rooms were of good quality with the Fridge, TV and AC.
Room's bathroom was a bit small but quite clean and cozy.
The hotel reception was helpful and approachable.
Location of the hotel is just 7-10 minutes walk south to the main shopping plaza with Coles and WoolWorth. 5 mins of drive north of the city you can find a decent Mollymook Beach.

However, the city of Ulladulla seemed too boring for our group of friends. We went out to the city for nightlife on Saturday to find only one small bar opened. Expect no nightlife or entertainment in Ulladulla! Maybe that is why we did not enjoy that much our stay at this nice hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 February 2013

We stayed in the Family Room overnight while on tour of VIC/NSW. This is a fairly obsolete motel on the main road with an enjoyable swimming pool and BBQ area. Our kids received a voucher into local Fun Land upon arrival which was nice but the play centre had a number of equipment in not working condition. The room was small and definitely not soundproof. The air-con wasn't much effective. Next door guests conversed loudly into the night which didn't create much peace for sleep and room enjoyment. At 5am next morning, as they were leaving the motel in a noisy havoc, they woke up all of us and must've woken up everybody else at the motel. Motel owners seemed to have carelessly ignored all of it without intervention. At $190, it's poor value.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Family-von-Sydney
SandpiperUlladulla, Owner at Sandpiper Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Thank you Family von Sydney for your review. The first I heard of your discomfort was after you left. I was cleaning rooms and you gave your key to my 11 yr old daughter and complained to her. Naturally she didnt know what to do or say and told me later. I must emphasize that at no time during the noise did you try to contact me to advise of your concerns. There is a night bell and the telephone that ring (very loudly) next to my bed. Had you made contact with me at the time I would have been able to have a word with the other guests. Also, our residence is on the other side of the motel so we don't (and didn't) hear all noise from the family room area. We have a maintenance report card in the room which we ask guests to note if any thing needs attention. You did not mention the air conditioner on that card (or anything else). I have no control over what time guests choose to leave and likewise no control over the lack of respect they have shown to other guests while departing. As for the price, your stay with us was in peak season and in comparison to other motels in the area that cater for children, we are rated as best value. Its good to see that there was no concern about the cleanliness, service, facilities and location. I resent your label 'fairly obsolete motel" which I believe was written in frustration by someone seemingly unable to confront conflict at the time of occurance. The Funland vouchers provided are $20 value each child at no expense to you. I'm sure the kids had a great time regardless of the maintenance they were doing which again is beyond my control.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Good location in Ulladulla, nice pool and pool area, owners are friendly and helpful. Kids loved the free voucher for local attraction, Funland. Rooms were clean & have a good shower. Bed was comfortable....Big Downside, aircon didn't work in room.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank asaintly1
SandpiperUlladulla, Owner at Sandpiper Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Hi asaintly1, Thank you for your review. I did send you an email same day as this was posted to find out what room you were staying in so I could check the air con but got no response. The only Room that advised us of an aircon not working during January was Room 1 (I'm assuming that was you?) and that was then left unoccupied until a replacement was installed 3 days later. We have also checked air cons in all rooms weekly since. Im glad you & your kids had a good time despite the heat, fires and chaos of evacuations. We look forward to welcoming you to Ulladulla again. Regards Cathy

Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

room was small but for just a 1 night stay.. didnt need anything else.. helpful chatty and friendly owners.. happy to allow us to leave our camper trailer there while we explored the town.. reccommend anyone to stay there

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank georgiafletcher
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Nice Neat n Tidy. Very friendly staff and Managers. The Kids loved the pool and location is close to shops. The rooms were very clean and the beds are good. Will be staying there again for sure. My family were staying at a more expensive motel up the road which in no way came up to the standard of this motel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Grant N
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Stayed here for only one night during our roadtrip. The room was spacious and very clean. We had all comfort ... plus a lot of good advice from the friendly owner (it think she was the owner?). I would recommend this property.

Room Tip: Ask for the free shuttle to the town club & centre (only during the weekends I think)
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I am suprised by the other positive reviews. On the positives, the room is clean, and price whilst high on an international scale, is not ridiculous for Australia. There were however three major negatives:
1. The sun shines through the rear windows in the early morning ensuring you will be up and out in time for the 10am checkout (we had arrived late at night).
2. The layout of the rooms makes them prone to noise from the other guests, and our friend complained he could hear his neighbors through the wall the whole night.
3. Only food within walking distance is a KFC. For the rest of Ulladulla you will need a car.

My suggestion is to stay in Mollymook. It is actually only about a 3 minute drive from this motel, more accomodation that at least from the exterior looked to be much better and is opposite the beach.

Room Tip: Go to mollymook
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EatingAdventures88
SandpiperUlladulla, Owner at Sandpiper Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear MR1Sydney,I am surprised that as a Senior Contributor you have failed to be factual and blatantly omitted contributing factors to your negative experience that are completely beyond our control.
RE 1. Your early morning wake up was due to your child crying incessantly due to teething. Yes, when you stood at the doorway and yelled out to your wife who was at the car "I found 2 new teeth !" I heard it across the carpark at the office. Your late arrival and subsequent early wake up was beyond our control. The small rear window in each room is frosted as per industry standards. In Australia the majority of intimate properties like ours have a check-in from 2pm and check-out by 10am so we only have a small window of opportunity to get rooms thoroughly cleaned before next occupants. Due to your late arrival I offered you a late check-out of 11.30am free of charge. Other Motels in the Mollymook Ulladulla area have a $40 late check out fee.
RE 2. You indicate your friend had noisy neighbours (although this was not your experience.) We live on the premises and have a night bell so we can be contacted 24/7 if there is a problem. We did not receive a complaint from your friend or yourselves during your stay, or even when you were checking out. In fact I remember the not so pleasant grunt you gave in response to my 'Good morning'. I later laughed it off with the cleaner when we both said how relieved we were that our sleep deprived baby days were over. Please note, we also have review cards in the room for feedback and there was non given in either room.
RE 3. You arrived very late at night at a time when most Cafes & Restaurants would already have closed. You were extremly lucky to be next door to the only convenience that would have been opened so late. KFC is next door. Millards Cottage Restaurant is a 70metre walk and the town centre is a 4 minute walk (if that). The local Chinese, Thai, Italian, Pizza, Fish n Chips and Hamburger/Yeeros takeaways all provide delivery service to the motel. You arrived at the motel in a car, so if you are averse to a short stroll or delivery then yes you will need to take the car.
Again, as a Senior Contibutor you should know better than to surmise that an accommodation place would "be much better" looking at " the exterior". If you wanted to be across the road from the beach you should have booked a place across the road from the beach and paid a lot more money for the priviledge. As it is you paid for a Queen room only indicating 2 guests. You did not advise you had a child with you. As well as the Queen bed, you used the single bed which adds costs to us for cleaning for which you have not been charged for in the Queen room tariff. You paid premium price through a booking agency which clearly shows our location, facilities and policies at the time of booking. You have also failed to recognise the fact that your friend phoned the day of arrival asking what room number he was in and what room you were to be in. Respectfully, due to privacy policy I did not divulge your room information to him and spoke to you direct advising your room number. Such customer care of privacy is surely a positive to be noted ??
MR1Sydney, As you did not actually stay in Mollymook your tip to others is invalid and has no credibility as part of a review for this property. I value all feedback both positive and negative but it has to make sense. With thanks for taking the time to read this response, Cathy Taylor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ulladulla
Pigeon House Motor Inn
#7 of 8 in Mollymook
Mollymook Seascape Motel
Mollymook Seascape Motel
#6 of 8 in Mollymook

Been to Sandpiper Motel? Share your experiences!