“Excellent Attention to Customer's Concerns”

Outrigger Gold Coast
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Burleigh Heads
“Excellent Attention to Customer's Concerns”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My father and I stayed at Outrigger Resort Gold Coast for 3 nights. On our 1st night, we were unhappy with the room. The heater did not warm the room sufficiently and was very loud throughout the night. Also there were noisy guests on the floor above us which made sleeping very difficult. However, after speaking with the friendly staff at the Resort, we were later upgraded to a larger room without extra charge. The room was very comfortable and we found our stay extremely pleasant. Also, the bathroom was especially clean, nice and modern.The cleaners did a great job each day servicing our room. It was really great to see the staff take our concerns on board. We were very pleased with our stay, and will definitely stay here again next time we are on the Gold Coast!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Outriggerburleigh, Owner at Outrigger Gold Coast, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Outrigger - we are very happy that you enjoyed your upgrade to a Superior Unit and look forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I booked this room via Wotif. I needed a single night accommodation as I was attending a funeral. I arrived at the hotel at about 9pm. I had earlier notified the proprietor of my expected late arrival. I gained access to a night safe which held my room key. Room KEY, not swipe card. This is an old hotel, which has not been upgraded in any manner. The crime-safe grill around the empty downstairs reception desk was the first hint that all was not well in (Surfers) Paradise. I stayed in room 402.
The room: a large room, sparsely furnished. SEVERELY water stained and generally stained tacky old cheap carpet - so horrid, I would not walk in bare feet. Rusty old air conditioner. OLD sun damaged curtains that did not hang properly. Drill holes in the bedside table surface and other furniture where something was previously bolted on. The walls had rust stains, paint chipped from door frames etc. Now into the bathroom.....rust stains running down the walls, extensive mold in the Grout and tiles in the bath, OLD bath, bath surface not clean, shower screen so old and damaged by soap scum was probably beyond cleaning. No mixer taps in the bath, the shower or the basin. I had a hot shower and THE COLD WATER TAP COULD NOT BE TURNED ON, so I had a very hot shower. Cheap soap and shampoo/conditioner...the standard of this room made me think it should be rented on an hourly rate (if you know what I mean), rather than a nightly. The smell coming out of the drain made me dry retch when I was cleaning my teeth. I could not wait to get out of the room. And the cost of this character-building experience was $115 per night. Honestly, it should have been $60 per night.

When I was leaving,I told the proprietor that she should be ashamed at the state and the price of the room. She said she had only taken over a week earlier; that some rooms were very nice (ha! That's a great comfort to me); some of their guests were very happy with their rooms...and that the rooms are privately owned, so she does not have the authority to upgrade and standardise the facilities. So, wouldn't one have considered this before buying the business? Honestly, start with an upgrade of the plumbing, and rip out the putrid carpet. Guests can be forgiving if the basics are satisfactory. The positives were the sheets were clean and I slept comfortably. The toilet and the basin and vanity were clean.

I have given this a one star rating as there was no lower option.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Jane E
Outriggerburleigh, Manager at Outrigger Gold Coast, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your review and disappointing to hear your stay was unsatisfactory, whilst you were attending something as stressful as a funeral. We have noted your comments and will pass them onto the owner of the unit - We are now entering our 3rd week of managing the property and formatting a refurbishment plan. Your reservation was for a standard Double Room, however our 'Superior Rooms' are renovated to a high standard and we aim to bring the entire building up to this standard. Thank you for your observation that the linen and toilet areas were clean (but old).
J. Trew, Manager

#9 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
#7 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Outrigger Gold Coast? Share your experiences!