“Very Disappointing”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Caloundra
Auckland, New Zealand
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I agree with Leanne This place is not as promoted. It desperately needs maintenance and friendly helpful Managers. We couldn't get WIFI as advertised and even the cell phones didn't seem to get a decent reception. The manager said sometimes it doesn't work on an ipad. What does it work on if not an ipad? The seaviews were limited and pretty distant..The pool however was lovely and the bed was very comfortable This place is very basic and badly needs attention
We left a day early but didn't expect a refund There are much better deals out there

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HB298

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We decided to finish off our long planned family holiday, with my mother and Step father and our young children, in the sunshine Coast after spending 7 fabulous nights at the Meriton in the Gold Coast. What a disappointment!!! Firstly the reception staff are as cold as ice on welcoming, we head to our 2 bedroom apartment which is actually 2 * 1 bedroom apartments which can be locked off with the close of a door (they provided a door wedge to help the situation) which means if the door is closed a swipe card is needed to enter. We have 2 young children (3 and 5) there was no way I was going to leave my young children in a separate apartment, that a removal of a door stop can lock them into. My husband and I had to sleep in separate apartments with one child each.
The beds were as hard a rocks, with loose springs. We assumed when booking for 2 young children they would have 2 singles in one room like every other apartment - however this was not the case. We asked for a stretcher which we were told would cost an extra $35 - we were not paying this for the dirty overpriced apartments (plural). There are very distant ocean views and a lot of standard kitchen items missing from the kitchenettes. The apartments needed maintenance. We decided to leave the next morning and asked for the remaining 2 nights to be refunded as well as my mothers room (whos room was actually ok apart from it being dirty and requiring maintenance) so that we could go and stay in Mooloolaba. We were treated like dirt - it was disgusting, they had mislead us in a number of ways - some not mentioned due to word limits, the male owner stood up from his seat and aggressively spoke in my husbands face - the female owner calmed the situation down and eventually we got a partial refund. Extremely disappointed and if it wasn't for the extremely pleasant stay at the Oceans in Mooloolaba (highly recommended)- this event would have ruined our trip. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Leanne B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Booked a 3 night stay in a 1 bedroom apartment. Apartment was clean and tidy and well appointed. Check-in was simple and friendly. Could see the ocean from our second floor balcony, but note that it's not right across the road from the beach. Compared to other accommodation options in the area I feel this was the best value for money and it didn't disappoint.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Well I arrived I found the pin code was nothing like I needed to get the key from safe.

Got to 5th level, the view was ok but buildings in front of us.

I had those frosted windows between bathroom and bedroom which is not good for anyone except couples as can see all as not frosted much.

Air con had to be set 25 to feel 22 a bit quirky. I read the brochure saying had Foxtel but they didn't. The free wi if also did not connect.

Bed was nice and comfortable, quiet and easy to sleep. Location ok and parking easy.

Now the bad part - second day some ants turned up in bathroom, lady came and sprayed them. Next day thousands of ants came out, again sprayed them and cleaned up. Couldn't change rooms as full and no offer of discount either!

Won't be returning to this one.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank FlyAwayOz
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Stayed Sept 2013. Problem number 1 - 'Ocean Views Resort'...well...I had a lovely view of the road and the building opposite?! Room itself was ok, clean tidy and decent size - small balcony so I could get even closer to enjoying that road. Pool & sauna were ok, although colder than most other places I stayed. Car parking provided and good location for main street shops and restaurants - all walking distance. Beaches run along the promenade and then the excellent Kings bach is just a 15 min stroll or so. I wouldn't say don't stay here - I would just say make sure you get a better room than I did as Im sure with a view on one of the higher floors it would be much better.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Myself and my boyfriend came here for new years 2012, we traveled from Sydney and just wanted the best location at the right price.
We got 4night in an amazing HUGE room for $800. The room was out of this world..huge living room, flat screen TV. dvd player radio I dock.Massive balcony along with the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in, and we travel a lot .
The kitchen was well kitted out and we didn't need to ask for anything extra .
Staff were lovely and friendly and the location was prefect, lots of cafe and restaurants around and our balcony had the oceanview.
Pool was awesome and enough sunbeds for everyone.
Toilets and showers in foyer and luggage room too.
Everything was clean and well up to standard.
We didnt use the gym but it was not big or of any use to use really.
Amazing trip and cannot wait to go back.

Thanks to all the staff

Room Tip: an ocean view