“Mystery over content”

Ranked #119 of 204 Restaurants in Caloundra
Price range: US$9 - US$25
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Café by the beach is located in the heart of beautiful Moffat Beach and is open 7 days. The friendly wait staff provides excellent service in a relaxed beachside atmosphere. The restaurant seats 110 guests and is the ideal location for business functions and get-togethers with family and friends. Famous for their “all day” pancakes, the café serves gourmet style cafe food daily and delicious modern-style cuisine nightly including pizza, pasta and blackboard specials.
Melbourne, Vic. Australia
“Mystery over content”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

When at Moffat Beach, this is a place I have visited. On this occasion, the same cheerful helpful staff were present. We were a large table with similar requirements and the food ordered came out fairly quickly.

However, contained in my food was a foreign object. Presently, this event has not yet put me off frequenting this place again, in time. The particular incident could have caused a hazard to customers, myself in particular. Also, it could have been avoided.

Staff were most apologetic and this I accept, and since no repercussions have been experienced since, it is easy to forgive the transgression.

I would hope that the staff involved in the kitchen would observe a more rigorous plan for food cleaning and preparation in the future.

• Visited May 2014

Caloundra, Australia
“Dinner - Friday 9th May 2014”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

On Friday night I went there for dinner with a friend at 6.40pm. We ordered from a very limited menu but the food was nice. We were not offered dessert or coffee or even warned that the coffee machine was going to be turned off. Another table of diners asked us if we had intended ordering dessert prior to having been told that it too late. They spoke with the young staff and they organised for us to have dessert but we were told that it was not possible to order coffee as the machine had been cleaned. To add insult to injury, the staff turned their choice of music very loud as if to tell us it was time for us to go. This was at 8pm. We love the view during the day and quite often dine there. The pancakes are to die for! (however they are available in the evening) I just think management should know what happens when they are not around...

• Visited May 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“The staff need training”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The staff were friendly, but service was woeful. It was impossible to catch their eye. I had to go over to where they were chatting to get service.
My steak was medium/well done, although I ordered it rare. My wife's steak was overcooked, too. However, there were plenty of vegetables and a good variety of them.
The desert portions were large, reasonable quality, and only $6.90

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Tim C
Brisbane, Australia
“Loved our breakfasts”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We love the location of this café; it overlooks the beach, which is exactly the way we want to dine when we're on holiday. The breakfasts were very impressive: large and filling; interesting; reasonably priced; and quick service. I had the gluten free polenta flatbread with spinach and grilled vegetables, which was a HUGE, creative, and very tasty meal. We can see why this is such a busy café, even on weekday mornings. There were also some amazing looking salads on display in the front cabinet, along with wraps and sandwiches, so I imagine Café By The Beach would be an equally impressive lunch destination. We look forward to returning when we're next in Caloundra.

• Visited January 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great location, beautiful food”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Food was great, service was quick and the wait staff very friendly and helpful. There was an issue with one of our meals and it was quickly replaced and apology offered. After reading recent reviews of this café I was concerned that the food and service had dropped from their usual high standard. We found that the food was up to par and there was no problem with the young wait staff. One of the ladies serving could have been a little more cheery, but the young people serving were very accommodating and we couldn't fault them. We will definitely return. This is one of our favourite places for Sunday brunch for family gatherings.

• Visited January 2014