“A dated hotel which is a shame”
Review of La Promenade

La Promenade
Melbourne, Australia
“A dated hotel which is a shame”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This hotel has a good position on the sea front. Ask for a sea view - we did and it made the room issues seem better. The rooms are dated. There is a serious lack of lighting in the room to the point you can hardly see in the kitchen area. Our bathroom smelt like a sewer - you have to wonder if the cleaner cannot smell or has maybe got used to it. Relatively good ametities in the room, washing machine, tumble dryer etc and good size fridge all handy if you are staying for a few days as we were. The TV wouldn't work - no reception after a few minutes trying to get it to work I went back to basics and checked the cables, the TV table was so far away from the aerial socket that the cable couldn't reach so no wonder it didn't work. Just a minor annoyance but you'd expect something so simple to be in working order. The cafe downstairs is very good, breakfast is great. So all in all this hotel is dated and still charging high prices as if it were brand new - go somewhere else but use the cafe :)

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here pick a sea view.......
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Guyra, Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We were extremely disappointed with the state of our unit. The floors were disgusting with our feet sticking to the floor. The smell was horrendous of strong chemicals. The plastic plants had 2mm of dust over them, there was only one role of toilet paper, the furniture was very uncomfortable, there was mould along the balcony, the spa was unclean, threats of a 900 dollar bill if we cooked or showered incorrectly did not sit well, there was no where to put our bags, half the coffee satchels were solid and stale, the tv reception was crap, the light fittings were dirty and missing. We will not be staying here again and will tell everyone we know how disgusting it was. To top of our stay when we arrived home at 7pm on Saturday night one of your guests had urinated in the reception area. self rated at 4.5 stars you have got to be joking try 3 stars max.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed at this resort in January high season and booking late, it was one of the few accomodations left that fitted with my work expense budget ... I saw some photos on the internet first, so my expectations were quite low. I always ask for a high floor when I book, so when I was given a ground floor unit on arrival I was peeved right from the start. The units are quite old and management have tried really hard to keep them clean, but they desperately need a makeover. The location is amazing, you cant get any closer to the water, it laps at the rockwall about 3 metres from your door, and I have to say it has a magically calming & relaxing effect. There is a coffee shop that does breakfast & lunch right next door & the complex itself is at the end of the boardwalk, so its very inviting for a stroll. Across the road is a delicious Thia restaurant & there are icecream shops, clothing stores, cafes etc.
I dont like to focus on the negatives , but there are a few that need mentioning - because these units are right on the water, the salt air has made everything super sticky (as I said management try hard to keep it clean) but the reality is the cane furniture is just too old to clean - I placed my hair tie on the bedside table & by morning it was seriously stuck to it. The sheets felt really clean though, and I slept well, so that was a bonus. Luckily I had a beach towel with me so I could sit on that instead of the sticky lounge fabric. I never used the spa, so I cant comment (other than it being in the middle of the living areas, which was interesting) The bathroom is aged but it was very clean. The kitchen was a joke, there wasn't even a light in there & it was very poorly equipped. And one more thing, reception closes at 5pm so make sure everything works, before they close, the after hours help line is next to useless.
Overall I did enjoy my stay, purely because of the location though, this resort has great potential, but only if they refurbish it!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Mel_GoldCoast
St Leonards, Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed at La Promenade for a seven day period and we rate this apartment one of the best we have ever stayed. Central to activities, outstanding room finish, very private, door step views of the Caloundra Harbour, and very affordable. A five star + vote.

Room Tip: Ask for the water front rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple