“Excellent location and wonderful people”

Caloundra Central Apartment Hotel
Cairns, Australia
“Excellent location and wonderful people”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I needed to stay just one night in Caloundra during the school holidays. Caloundra Central Apartment Hotel was one of the few that would allow this. On arrival I found the checkin to be efficient and the staff very friendly and helpful. If the one bedroom apartment I stayed in, is anything to go by there would never be any complaints. Kitchen along with washer & dryer makes it feel like a home away from home. It is also very close to the airport, shops & beaches.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Brisbane
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here for one night and thought the place was great. I received an upgrade to a one bedroom and the room was immaculate, spacious and the kitchen had everything I could ask for. Everything was very clean and I asked for and received a late check out. The place isn't really central, its not near the beaches, but apart from that it was great and I'd happily stay there again. There is a restaurant on site (Sitar) and the food was good. There are shops and takeaway places nearby. I enjoyed the free Foxtel, especially the music channel, which often isn't available in hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked this hotel for my partner and I as a surprise for his birthday weekend. We stayed one Saturday night. After finding the hotel online, it appeared to be perfect! Central location, 4.5 stars, and we believed we were getting a "hot deal" at $119 a night for a studio apartment.

Upon arrival, we realised that the location was not 'central' at all. We didn't mind this very much, as it did not affect our plans. But for other people who believe this hotel to be in central Caloundra - it is certainly not. It is in Battery Hill. We were also confronted with a sign saying rooms began at $109 per night! Which was news to us, as we had booked the cheapest room for $119 as a special deal. We found this very misleading.

The young receptionist was very lovely and professional and she allowed us to check in early. This was one of the very few highlights of our visit. When we entered the room, we were pleased with the room itself. It had a nice bed, small table, microwave, ensuite and a large TV. There was also Foxtel, which was a plus! However, when we went to make a cup of tea, we found that the kettle had a horrible smell as someone had boiled an egg in there and left the remnants to rot. We decided to boil water in the microwave instead, but found we only had one cup in the apartment and it was filled with some kind of pinkish food/mould. At this time, we could not contact reception to ask for more crockery.

At 1am, we were abruptly awoken by drunken residents (people also live in the hotel) have loud conversations while physically leaning on our only window. Our window looked on to a cement wall from a narrow corridor. From 1am-4am, we were wide awake as no fewer than 10 groups of drunk people, or possibly the same drunk people, loudly yelled, argued and walked past our room. Some even stopping to stand outside our door and call their friends on their phones.

On the other hand, the buffet breakfast offered at the Sitar Indian restaurant downstairs was absolutely amazing. Very affordable and had a huge range of food! This was the sole highlight of our stay.

Overall, the room was nice and the receptionist was friendly. Unfortunately, these were the only two positives of the hotel itself. It was certainly not 4.5 stars, and personally, I would be hard-pressed to even give it 3 stars. I would not stay here again, and feel that a lot of others who stayed the same night would also agree.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ronnie D
Caloundra Centr... D, Manager at Caloundra Central Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
As the New Managers of Caloundra Central I thankyou for the time you have taken to review our property after your disappointing stay. I have been focused on our rooms and in house facilities since arriving 3 weeks ago and have addressed any in-room problems you noticed. Unfortunately as in any hotel we did have however have a group booking in that weekend who were definitely not courteous or considerate of others staying. We visited their rooms several times that evening. I am pleased that reception was friendly and you did enjoy your breakfast that was included in your package (which is the difference in the $109 room only rate) regards Manager Caloundra Central

Travellers are raving about these Caloundra hotels

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

On the upside the shower pressure was very good in comparison to many similar hotels we have stayed at. However, the beds are very uncomfortable, you feel as if you are sleeping on the floor. The walls are very thin, we were sharply woken up by the occupants next door.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zach D
Thankyou for taking the time to write a review. As the new Mangers we appreciate the feedback of things we need to address and have done so in our short time here.
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My partner and I spent a couple of nights in a studio room in February 2014. When we arrived at Caloundra Central, we noticed painters doing some painting outside the building. On our second day there, my partner and I left at 9.00 am to go shopping and returned at around midday to find our apartment door wide opened. At first we thought, someone had broken in but a painter came along a few minutes later and told us not to shut the door because it had just been painted. We did not receive any notice from Caloundra Central to notify us that the painters were going to be painting our room door nor did they inform us that the painters had access to our room. When we approached management, they did not think that this practice of no notification or allowing a painter to have access to our room as out of the ordinary. Nor did they think that the smell of the cheap paint could affect their customers. When we asked to be moved to another room, they wanted us to move into a room where they had painted the previous day and the smell of the cheap pain was still noticeable. Also, the steps to the spa was wobbly and most likely a workplace and health safety hazard. So instead of having a relaxing couple of days, we left thinking that Caloundra Central Apartment Hotel was a waste of time and money and someone should investigate them.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank G G
As the new manager of Caloundra Central I thankyou for you feed back. We pride ourselves on service and customers satisfaction and truly saddened you didn't feel that experience here.
Ipswich, Australia
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I looked on the wotif website and found Caloundra central apartment hotel and I thought it sounded good. My partner and I were staying 2 nights in a studio room for $115 per night with being able to upgrade to breakfast for 2 for $133 per night but due to work my partner couldn't make it so my dad came along instead and he slept on the couch. When we got there we were able to check in early cause the room was ready which was good. Morning came and the sun shined right in the room and I couldn't sleep and not a very good view of the ocean either. We went down for breakfast and lucky I took my wallet because they charged extra $5 each for bacon and egg breakfast. I complained because I had already paid to upgrade this to a decent and the staff said that when I upgraded it was only for a basic breakfast. If I had know this I would never have paid extra for cereal. The room was quite small and a bit smelly. We stayed on Saturday and Sunday night. Come Monday morning the dining room was closed on Mondays so we could have breakfast again and I wasn't going to pay for breakfast again when I already paid for it when I first booked the room. When I complained to reception on sunday morning they were quite rude and didn't really wanna listen plus I gave them a $100 bond incase anything got broken thank goodness it didn't. Monday morning came and we got our $100 bond back and couldn't wait to get out of there. Too overpriced for shocking service. Would not recommend or stay here ever again!

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean view if you can get one. Make sure you know what your getting yourself into thou...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank wingnut12836
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed here last week on a business trip and found the rooms to be clean and spacious. They are simple - but the studio's have a microwave and a fridge and my colleague who was in a 1 bedroom found it to be very well equipped. My studio/ hotel room was a little dark and depressing with the only window opening to a walk way. The biggest problem was the fact there was no phone reception in my room nor was there an in room telephone. To make matters worse, the hotel's internet was down - making it very difficult to communicate with my fellow work mates.

Room Tip: If you don't like traffic noise - make sure you request a room NOT on the road side
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thankyou for reviewing our property. We now have all phones back in the room which were being serviced and Free Wi-Fi access to all rooms. We look forward to you seeing us again. The new Managers Caloundra Central Apartments
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caloundra
Best Western Plus Lake Kawana Hotel
Windward Passage Holiday Apartments
Monaco
Monaco
#1 of 51 in Caloundra

Been to Caloundra Central Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!