“Great facilities”

Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Caloundra
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a couple nights in a spa suite which was excellent! We particularly enjoyed the pool and the sun loungers which get sun the whole day. The restaurant was also very nice with some outdoor seating for a lazy afternoon drink. We also wanted a spa treatment however they were booked so I'd recommend booking these in advance. I would definitely recommend for a relaxing weekend away!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashleigh M
Marion G, Guest Relations Manager at Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate customer feedback and I have passed your comments on to both management and heads of departments - we have recently updated our resort facilities including renovating the gym and spa and are receiving wonderful feedback about staff and decor. We hope to see you again soon to see the improvements.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I booked my overnight stay with my mum and I via Wotif at a reduced rate than when I was originally looking. Originally, I just wanted a place that had a balcony a pool and a bed to sleep on for my mum to relax (she needed a well deserved break).

When we were driving to the resort, it was strange to drive through a residential area and suddenly see this high rise resort in the middle of no where. A nice drive through.

We arrived at 12pm and the room wasn't available to check in yet. When I asked where the nearest shops were, I was asked if I wanted a "big map" to show me the directions. Even when I said yes, I wasn't provided a map and was given verbal directions (which weren't very clear).

When we got to check in, the room is clean, spacious (we had the resort room) and had a balcony with a lovely view of the pool. Our view was slightly blocked by the tall palm trees (we were on the 3rd floor) but it gave a feel of being in a secluded location, so it was great.

The pool was great and there's plenty of sunlounges. I didn't realise that there were beach towels available upon request so be sure to ask for this from front desk.

The buffet breakfast isn't too bad as well, it was $25 per person when we had it and it includes some hot food, pastries, juices, cereal, toast and a fruit and yoghurt bar. It isn't promoted very well which I think they really should as it's great value.

There were a few hiccups though
- When I was taking a shower, there were a few bugs that were on the ground which I suspect came from the vent, which didn't look very clean
- We ordered in-room service for dinner and requested the Cod that was on the menu. We ended up receiving a Club sandwich. When I clarified that we wanted the Cod, the room attendant advised that the in-room menus were in the process of getting changed and that the Cod was no longer available. So I ended up waiting another 25min for the Market Fish dish they suggested, only to be served a rubbery overcooked fish at the value of $34. On the bright side, we were given 2 bottles of Coke to make up for the meal confusion.
- At 5:20am the next morning, the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate. It turned out to be a technical fault. But kudos to the supervisor in charge that morning as well as the wardsman who went to check that everyone was ok and assisted in managing the crowd who were trying to get in the lifts to return to their rooms

At the end of it all, it was an overnight getaway where my mum got to relax by a balcony and where I had a pool to swim in so it met my expectations, but there were just a few little things that just didn't make it turn from good to great.

Room Tip: Level 4 or above to avoid getting your view blocked by palm trees
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Wonderful time at this resort. Staff very helpful and friendly. The pancake machine didn't work one morning which is all my son was looking forward to, the lady on duty organised with the cook to make some up for him. A really nice gesture. Will be going back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 January 2014

It has been 20yrs since my husband and I have been away for a holiday. The service and staff was awesome. Loved everything about the resort. Would recommend it to everyone. Arranging another holiday now!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Great view of the amazing pool. Room nicely decorated but beds were very uncomfortable, they sloped down on the sides and pushed up unevenly in the middle. Non smoking rooms should include balcony as non smoking as the outdoor seats and table were sticky and stank of stale smoke.. Therefore we didn't sit on them - unfortunate when view was so lovely. Staff were friendly. Ok value for money on an overnight stay.

Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel some years ago when the hotel was under different ownership. Based on the excellent experience we had the first time, we booked a one bedroom spa room between 27/29 December, 2013. The room was "aged" and there were very visible stains all over the couch and curtins. There were dirty socks left in the room from the previous guests. The fridge had also leaked water about 1 inch thick all over the tiles. Upon calling the reception/house keeping and only being able to reach a recorded message, we asked that someone attend to the room and the leaking fridge. Some hours later, a lady arrived to throw a towel over the tiles (problem solved). Upon returning to the room, the room smelt damp and we called reception/housekeeping and left an additional message. Some hours later after receiving no response, we called again to be informed that "room cleaning is not included in your package". As a result, we cleaned the fridge, disposed of the damp towels, removed the dirty socks and aired the room to try and rid the damp smell.

For couples, beware. The bed was a small double. The "spa" was big enough for one adult.

Overall, I would say that the price of this hotel is excessive when compared to similar priced hotels (i.e. Hilton, Sofitel). This is not a luxury hotel, it is an overpriced self contained apartment. There is minimal to no service. The only plus was the restuarant staff who were great. Perhaps suitable for a family - but not suitable for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katrina P

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in a one bedroom spa apartment on the third floor overlooking the pool, lake and golf course. The view was tranquil and very relaxing.

The room was spacious with a kitchenette, separate lounge, balcony, and spa bath. It was nicely furnished, clean and modern. The king bed and pillows were very comfortable and we didn't hear any noise from other guests and there is no traffic in the area.

There are two pools, a lap pool and a resort style pool. The weather was extremely hot when we were there and there wasn't much shade around the pool. The pool temperatures were very warm.

We had lunch in the restaurant and the quality was high. Standard price of $15 for any lunch meal. There is a nice bar area and there was a singer one night.

All the staff were very polite and efficient.

The golf club is a few steps next door, also with a nice bar and restaurant.

Location, about a 6 minute drive into Caloundra. We found it was nice to get away from the crowds but you can't just go for a walk and have your choice of restaurants. You are a bit isolated in that there is only the resort and the gold club in that area. I think the price compensates for the location.

Overall, I would recommend this property to people wanting a relaxing holiday, those who enjoy golf, or just want to get away from the crowds.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, lake, golf course for nice views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Also consider these accommodations in or near Caloundra
Breakfree Grand Pacific Resort Sunshine Coast
#10 of 16 in Caloundra
Oaks Oasis
Oaks Oasis
#2 of 16 in Caloundra

Been to Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!