“Not bad - for a cooler night!”

Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Caloundra
Sunshine Coast
“Not bad - for a cooler night!”
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Stayed one night in a Queen Spa room in late july. Room itself was quite clean, a few cobwebs and a champagne cork lying around, but the rest was very tidy. The room was spacious - more like a small apartment than a hotel room. Nice view overlooking the pool, swamp and golf course.

Pretty quiet, unfortunately we were on the second floor and there were a few rowdy people hanging around the pool area till quite late at night.

One minus point was that the air conditioning was set at 25°, and unable to be changed to anything cooler. It was a warm night and we were quite uncomfortable. Aside from this, we were very satisfied.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Last Wednesday morning (16/6) my wife and I proceeded to check out after a most enjoyable six day stay at Pelican Waters. What took place over the following 20 minutes was some of the worst treatment I have ever been subjected to at a hotel reception. The personnel have obviously never been trained in customer relationship nor understand the ongoing potential value of a long standing client, particularly one that holds a Gold level status and is a Priority Privilege Club member.

Whilst Ken and his assistant exhibited a ‘very’ professional approach in discussing our concerns, it was an attitude that totally lacked any compassion or empathy. When I first made the booking enquiry on line using my Entertainment Card, a rate of $104.00 per night was listed. When I then used my Priority Privilege Membership a buy one night with one night free rate came up at a rate of $180.00 for a 1 bedroom apartment. I admit that being the first time I had used this Priority Privilege membership, I failed to read all the conditions in fine print, including the fact that I needed a coupon from the folder sent to us.

A friend who had introduced us to the Privilege Club had given us a transferable “buy one get one free” dinner coupon which we had handed to the waitress at the resort’s restaurant, not noticing that there was an expiry date in small print on the reverse. You can understand my dismay when told that the discounted meal cost had been reverted back to a full price because of this.

I also advised that I had a booking for four paid nights and two free and handed over a Priority Privilege ‘pay 1 night get 1 night free’ coupon so that it could become a 3 paid 3 free night charge. I was then advised that as I had only handed over 1 coupon, I would be now required in fact to pay an additional $180.00 resulting in a total charge of $900.00. If I had proceeded with my initial booking using the Entertainment Card I would have only paid $624.00, even if this was for a slightly smaller room.

Given my wife and I played two rounds of golf and spent over $300.00 in the shop, on this our 3rd visit to Pelican Waters, I would have expected far better treatment. They could have even suggested we use the 25% discount voucher which was in the package, which in my disturbed state of mind overlooked.

Over the past three years to achieve our current “Gold” status, you will note from your records we have previously enjoyed numerous stays at your Torquay, Natadola Resort, Hunter Valley and Pelican Waters resorts and have always been a keen advocate. In fact I had completed a very complimentary client survey, which in my anger tore up due to it now being totally inaccurate. The parting remark “ I hope you have a nice day” was totally unnecessary and unwelcomed given the circumstances.

As a result of this experience we cancelled two nights booked last Thursday and Friday at your Surfers Paradise resort and after we return from Natadola Beach Resort Fiji in August, see no reason why we should stay at or recommend your company in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank gilesgolf

Travellers are raving about these Caloundra hotels

gold coast
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We booked this resort as it is situated next to the Greg norman Golf Course. After reading a few negative reveiws, we were not expecting much, however were very happy with our choice. The room was clean, spacious and had a huge balcony overlooking the golf course. While we were only on the 2nd floor and could only see tree tops, it gave you a feeling of being surrounded by a rain forest and was very peacefull.

The service we recieved was good and they have a great 24 hour gym facility, I was impressed!! The day spa is such a gem and I enjoyed a nice treatment package.

We would definatley stay here again. My only tip would be to bring your insect repellent in force when playing a round of golf.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Gold Coast
Reviewed 7 April 2010

what i liked, public areas, pool, balcony views, hotel staff were friendly, spa was good.
what i didn't like;
pubes in the spa
crappy fridge with outer door propped open
knackered old crt telly in living room
awful restaurant - avoid the potato mousaka which tastes of undercooked potatoes. steak and fish were fine.
restaurant staff were terrible, not knowing even which side side-plates go on, arguing over who holds the walkie talkie.
$5 dollar surplus for using the restaurant over easter? I appreciate they need to pay their staff a little more, but that can come out of their money not mine.
no wireless internet, what there was you had to pay through the nose for.
the lobby terminal is $5 dollars for five minutes, it should be free in a place like this.
the hotel convenience store was never opened.
the area the hotel sat in was a desolate hell of roundabouts and mcmansions.
breakfast should be included for the money we payed.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The_Oz_Wanderer
brisbane
Reviewed 12 February 2010

If you require a room to put your head for a night then the Crowne Plaza will do. If you expect to get what you have paid for or any form of service forget it. We have previously stayed at this hotel when it was under the Ramada banner, chalk & cheese.
We booked an Executive Suite Dine & Unwind package online through their website.
The last thing we actually did their was unwind, quite the opposite.
The resort view was a view of the car park at the front of the Hotel, when I went to reception to quirey this they advised me that none of the Exec Suites overlook the resort & pool & that the website I had booked through had made a mistake. Funny I said it is your website. That set the tone for our whole stay. I could write an essay on the poor service & lack of interest from the staff. Waited over an hour for meals in a restuarant with a dozen people in it , asked to pay for childs meals that were supposed to be included in the package, had to ring to get a bed in our room for our daughter after booking with child. DIisgracefull. No reimbusment for room. A promise of discounted rate on our next stay, (Not a Chance) complimentry bottle of wine. What a joke 4.5 Star, We have stayed in better 2 star establishments in Europe which is way below Aus standards.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank dvh2
Queensland
Reviewed 1 February 2010

This was our second stay at the hotel. We stayed 3 nights in a spa suite. Let down that we had a view over the front and not the pool. Room was very spacious, clean and serviced regularly. Pity there was no DVD player though. Check-in was a bit slow but apart from that staff were very helpful. Ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night but staff were very slow and it took 2 hours for a 2 course meal. Food was worth the wait though. Pool was fabulous and so were the other amenities. Had a great experience at the day spa and highly recommend it. Played golf, great couse but got eaten alive by mosquitos, take insect repellant! Club house was beautiful and had great meals for lunch. Location was bit out of the way, at least 15 minute drive to shops, beach etc.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cassandra H
australia
Reviewed 27 January 2010

we are independent travelers and dont require much except efficient and friendly service, reasonably knowledgable reception staff and a room up to average standards. We found these expectations were far too high while staying here. Room:old tvs, fridge propped up on unstable wooden blocks, how dodgy,cupboard door to fridge that wouldnt shut due to fridge on dodgy wooden blocks, tv that would only work by turning it off at the wall then turning it back on to reboot it, no plugs for either the sink or bath which we realised at 11.30pm when we went to have a spa so felt real bad when we had to ring reception at that late hour, bed that had major sinkage in the middle, a clothes dryer in the room but no guest washing machine facilities?! are you serious! a kitchen sink in the room but no plug, dishwashing liquid or cloth?! are you serious! Facilities: no guest washing machine facilities, wanted to use the business centre but were told that it was only available every day after business hours?! what the! apparently their admin and accounts staff use it during business hours....oh but we could access the one coin operated computer for the whole resort.great. the gaming room consisted of old computers hooked up to old games. when we booked the tennis courts and racquets on two occasions and had walked down to the courts the staff member who we had made the booking with and had given us the racquets didnt turn on the court lights so we had to walk back to the hotel and ask them to turn them on.
Nothing will be done by management to rectify any of the above so make up your own mind.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank everydayperson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caloundra
Breakfree Grand Pacific Resort Sunshine Coast
#2 of 16 in Caloundra
Rumba Beach Resort
Rumba Beach Resort
#1 of 16 in Caloundra

Been to Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!