“Great for a family holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rolling Surf Resort

Rolling Surf Resort
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Caloundra
Sydney, Australia
“Great for a family holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

Great all round accommodation. We are a family of 5 with grandma along too made us 6. The 2 bed apt was adequate.

3 kids under 6 all of us vegetarian so we need self catering. The kitchen was well equipped and served us very well.

The location means that without a car its a long trek to the supermarket. But the upside being that the ocean is less than 100m fron the door.

Watch out for extortionate and crap coffee vendor at the front of the complex. Sea Salt, I dont think $4:50 for a flat white is justified even at the best venues. If you want to charge top whack at least take a Barrista course.

All up its a great little holiday spot though.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Loraine26, Manager at Rolling Surf Resort, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Good Morning Toby P
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us here at The Rolling Surf Resort. We always appreciate receiving such positive comments from guests.

Here at the Rolling Surf Resort we take pride in being the only complete ocean front resort in Caloundra; with no parks or roads to cross to access the golden sands and pristine waters of Kings Beach.

In regards to your comments about the cafe Saltwater, they are externaly managed, but I am sure they would appreciate any feedback customers would like to give. You can contact them via their website. www.saltwateratkings.com

We hope to have you stay with us again.

Kind Regards,

Anne Fredericks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

Had a great stay, room was great, had a great view. Was perfect for the family. Only neg was that we didn't realise there was a rooftop balcony until our last day. No one told us about the balcony nor were there any signs. We would have made much use of the huge balcony with the bbq, sauna if we had known it was there as we were there for a week!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

We've stayed here 5 times now because you can't beat the location, being steps away from the beach. It really is worth paying the extra to have sea view!

Room Tip: apartment no.8 has the best view for a 3 bedroom
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lisabw
Moreton Island, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

This was a spare of the moment trip away in the middle of winter, we booked direct with the resort via email and phone and got a great price.

We specifically wanted an apartment in the "front" section of the Resort to have great views of the beach and ocean and we were very happy with it. Loved watching the ships pass by in the ocean. By the way the main shipping channel is not too far out to sea from Caloundra, we took our binoculars so had an even better view!

The check-in was quick with friendly staff. Parking under the complex was easy and secure.

The apartment was clean and spacious, with modern contemporary furnishings, with the exception of the second bedroom where our adult son slept. It was small, just fitted the 2 single beds and separated by sliding shutter doors from the living area.

Open living area was roomy with leather lounges, flat screen TV, DVD, Hi Fi system, and Austar. The main bedroom had a flat screen TV also.

Kitchen had everything we needed, including a dishwasher. Everything appeared to be well maintained. Spa bath in the main bathroom wasn't the biggest we've seen, but still good to relax.

A small balcony, but then Rolling Surf Resort was built a number of years ago, the rear section a little "younger" It's been recently renovated, and the pool area although not large was adequate. With the beach and surf out front and the weather cold, we didn't need to use it anyway.

We chose to go in the off season as the accommodation is cheaper and it was much quieter with only a few of the apartments occupied.

A family with young children moved in above us on the afternoon before our departure the next morning and we could hear them talking/yelling etc and screeching the chairs across the tiles. Luckily they went to bed early.

As we like quiet accommodation I don't think I'd consider any apartment block at Kings Beach or Bullcock Beach during peak times. Great for young families though.

We've visited Caloundra numerous times over a very long period of time, and it has changed so much especially in the last 10 years. It's certainly not the sleepy little beach town it once was.

Overall a relaxing stay, great views of the ocean, spacious clean apartment, and easy access to everything.

Room Tip: Choose the 2 or 3 bedroom apartments in the block right on the beach for the best views
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank lifetravellerbrissy
Rockhampton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

We only stayed for 3 nights but were very impressed. We stayed in a rooftop 1 bedroom and had our own roof section with bbq/spa/sauna and awesome views, the same from our balcony. The bed was so comfortable and falling asleep to the ocean waves was amazing.
The staff were very friendly. The only thing we would recommend is a newer television like a flat screen (was an old box tele, didn't seem to fit in with the style) although in saying that it wasn't turned on much as we were listening to the ocean :). thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: The best one bedroom rooftop is in the middle between the two front buildings awesome ocean views
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trac123
Merritt Island, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

This was our 2nd time at this resort. As far as I could tell it's the only one that is absolute beachfront where you can walk straight out of the resort onto the beach. We had the rooftop 2 bedroom oceanfront so the view was great. The cargo ships pass by surprisingly close to shore. There's a very accommodating surf shop a few blocks back where you can rent surfboards, boogey boards, etc. and surf either Kings Beach or Happy Valley close by. The pool is huge and there's an arcade for kids. The things I would change are the shutters which are a poor choice since they block the gorgeous view, and the fact that the doors aren't sealed so there's quite a draft that blows through there which wastes a lot of AC/heat .

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Karla-8
Hope Island, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Before I booked my getaway I decided to take a day trip up to the Rolling Surf to see first hand the resort and what it had to offer. When I arrived just the exterior presentation of the resort took my breathe away. The colors' make a dull winters day seem like a vibrant spring one. But that was the least of my surprises! I walked down the steps into reception (which is on the basement level of the resort) and found round 'port hole' circles in the wall which looked out into the pool! I was greeted by 3 ladies all presenting a welcoming smile. The manager Anne noticed me fancy the pool and informed me that the southern end of the pool is heated! Perfect in winter!!!

I asked about their rates and was given the brochure with all their rates inside. I then asked if I could see some of the rooms (because there are so many different wonderful types) I was taken to a 1 bedroom apartment with beautiful north easterly views of the headland and a spa in the master bedroom. The lady that took me up described it as partial views, but I was stunned at how amazing the view is. We then went to a two bedroom pool entry, which gives you DIRECT access to the pool. No leaving your room to get to the pool. I was already so impressed with how beautiful these two rooms were I asked to see a 2 bedroom ocean front balcony (well out of my price range) but once again the room and the view was nothing less the AMAZING! After viewing the rooms I went back down to reception to book straight away. I booked the 1 bedroom apartment and luckily the one I viewed was available.

Upon checking in I was greeted once again by the wonder, happy staff and was quickly checked in to my room. It was the best feeling in the world to wake up every morning looking at the ocean with the sun rising over it. I never wanted to leave! Every time I went into reception the girls were happy and always up for a chat. Not once wasn't there a smile to be seen!

The resort is only a 10 minute walk to the main street and a 5 minute walk from resturants. The fish and chip shop, 'De Lish Fish' makes the best chicken burgers!!! Not to mention the only complete ocean front resort in Caloundra! (No roads or parks to cross to access the beach, just prime access!!!)

Would definatly recommend this resort to friends, family, even strangers!!! Single, couple, family, retirees Rolling Surf has something to meet your needs!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple