“Find Alternative place”

Caloundra Backpackers
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Its a hostel and probably not the nicest one you will ever stay at. The place is not very clean, the managers were rude, the kitchen was dirty , the bins smelled, the rooms were small and messy.
Budget Alright !!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 September 2011

I have done alot of travelling and i always like to find the good things in something which quite often out-way the not so good things. But i must review this place as i think there were some not so good things there. When we stayed for a night (booked in for two nights) this year we arrived from a long stint camping and was looking foward to a nice clean place. when we went to the small little office it smelled like the person had been living in there for years and hadn't washed.Ok so they show us to our room, this didn't seem too bad but after one night i awoke scratching and itching to find i had been bitten by bed bugs. this was the last thing i needed after been bitten by mozzies camping. This frustrated me immensely.
Getting up the next day i go to take a shower. There was broken glass in one of the showers( which happened to be the first one i chose). So moving to another one i start scrubing away only to notice that it must be a tradition there for people to pick their nose and place their boogers on the tiles ... up high so the cleaners don't seem to reach. I counted about 8 before i added my own little spillage by bringing up my mornings breakfast.
At this point i had had enough of the place and my girl friend and myself decided that anywhere would be better than this place. We were glad to leave but just to top it off they wouldn't give us a refund which was upsetting to be told by the live-in managers as they held their baby, yes they live there with there 1 year old toddler surrounded by young people boozing and smoking.
My girlfriend found the whole experience very off putting and we dont mention that part of the trip any more. so between us we thought that it important to let any one else know that if they want to stay there that you would be best to find alternative accommadation.
yours sincerly
disgusted customers

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rys C
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The staff and people staying there (almost everybody is a fruitpicker) are french, nice, friendly and it is quiet after 10pm. The rooms are clean but this depends on the people you are staying with - would recommend private accomodation, because the fruitpicker have to get up at 5am, so it could disturb your sleep a bit. Bathrooms are alright, cleanliness could be better but it is ok. The kitchen is just a big mess!!!! Be prepared for it, we weren't because this hostel has such great ratings (94-100%), but this is NOT the reality. The kitchen needs a big cleanup (cupboards very dirty with lots of ants and not enough cutlery & crockery) and then it should be cleaned maybe once a day properly. There are people staying at this hostel, who do not care at all about the cleanliness, so that is why the kitchen is dirty just 30 minutes after the morning-cleaning. There are signs not to be messy, but nobody cares, so they should react to these ignorant people - just throw them out! Other than that, Caloundra is a very pleasant beachtown with a nice esplanade, boardwalk, Botanical Garden and lots of supermarkets. You could visit the Australian Zoo (approximately 60 Dollar) and the Glasshouse Mountains from there in an easy daytrip.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed 26 November 2010

My husband and I stayed in a double room for 2 nights in November, the room was basic but tidy, and the staff were awesome and very friendly. there's lots of activites going on and things like surf/skateboarding sessions being organised which we were invited to join in on.Also had surfboards for guests to use which was great. Would recommend this backpackers :)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2010

We spent a weekend here in a private en suite and were very impressed. The hostel is friendly, clean & tidy. Close to the beach, shops etc. Big clean kitchen, nice lounge area, free surf board and skate board hire - what more could you want? Admittedly we did have a private but the dorms looked big enough and the general vibe was one of chilled out friendliness. There were free bbq, quiz nights etc. That said it's lights off at 10/1030 so if you're looking for a party all night hostel possibly not for you. If you're looking to chill out, chat etc then if you're in the area it's definitely a good shout.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MiddleM
Reviewed 6 September 2009

I stayed here for just over three weeks whilst working in Australia and had the time of my life. The staff are incredibly friendly and cant do enough for you. The activities put on whilst I was there were top notch and gave me things to do on my weekends off Stand-up paddling, surfing, cooking, BBQ etc. I really enjoyed my stay here, and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank Suddabmp01
Reviewed 1 January 2008

We stayed here when the Music Festival was on in Caloundra. We stayed in a double room with private ensuite for only AUD55/nt so it was great value. The room was very basic but very clean and suited us fine as we were barely in our room. We had a walk through the backpackers & I was impressed at the facilities. Its a fairly small backpackers but had 2 big kitchens & 2 lounge areas. I peeked into a dorm room and they looked fine to me. Not too far to the beach & close to the main street.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank cassb123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caloundra
Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers
#2 of 2 in Dicky Beach
ULTIQA Shearwater Resort
ULTIQA Shearwater Resort
#1 of 12 in Kings Beach

Been to Caloundra Backpackers? Share your experiences!