“Ok..ish.”

Caloundra Backpackers
Reviewed 1 February 2013

After booking for New Years Eve a few months in advance my friend and I were excited to start our holiday. Well...that was until we were let into our room. We had booked for a twin room with ensuite, received a double room with ensuite (as they apparently don't have twins even though we'd rung to check). This wasn't too much of a big deal, our friends were coming the next day and brought us an air bed. That is about as good as it got. The ceiling fan clicked on any setting higher than 1 (so loud that the people in the next room could hear) and in the 30+ degreed heat this was unbearable. The room was tiny, stuffy and damp. The ensuite looked clean but we wore shoes in the shower just in case. For what we paid....it was not up to scratch.

The owner was really nice and sent someone out to get us a pedestal fan, which made the room slightly more bearable at night. There is no free breakfast, the internet was SOO slow it barely worked, there is no fridge in the room and we had to buy our own toilet paper! The only highlight was the free BBQ dinner on our first night which was tasty and FREE.

The smoking area was right outside our room and people were noisy until about 10/10:30pm.

If you just need a night stop for a bit of sleep then it's probably ok but for what you pay, I'm sure there is better out there.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MelJS

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Overall I liked this place. But theres just a couple of points that I’d like to take issue with. Firstly, there’s no free breakfast included in the price. This has to be one of the only hostels on the east coast which does not include a free breakfast. Secondly, the wifi and internet were painfully slow, and at $2 an hour is was pretty expensive. This is normal but it seemed odd that the manager was streaming live surfing on his own computer when we could barely load up a webpage in the hostel itself. Anyway, as a tip the public library is just a little further down the same street and non-members can use the internet for free – and its fast! The staff are very friendly and will help provide you with and information such as activities, directions, maps etc and booking the shuttle Brisbane airport.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Nice backpackers. Simple and quite, ideal for a good night rest. Location is good if you're traveling on the Sunshine Coast. Double rooms do not have TV or fridge.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Bentino
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Arrived here with my boyfriend after a 8 hour drive and was looking forward to a double room with t.v. which we thought we booked. Instead we got a damp box which we could barely fit in, with dirty sheets that were damp too. There was no t.v which was advertised and paid for. We're on a budget and don't expect much but we won't compromise on basics like clean sheets. Went to a motel across the street and for 20 dollars more got a big clean room with a t.v, fridge, air con, and wifi in room. We were going to sleep on the car before sleeping in that place. I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Laurashortstuff
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I dunno i just suddenly remembered this backpackers.. stayed there few times 2-3years ago when i visited Caloundra.. Fred and Lily were the managers, they're very friendly.. they tried to maintain and kept the backpackers clean and comfortable to stay.. Got few times of jobs from Lily, enough to cut out the room's costs ... thanks to both of you.. hope to stay there and meet you again.. :)

Janice, Indonesia

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank jktravel83
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Caloundra Backpackers is a most nice Back packers as far as I know .
I 've never relax at Back Packers.However,There has a clean room and clean public area and so peacefully. I could relax and get good energys.
Owner and family are loves activitys. They doing one's best make fun time for guests.
they are not only business. It's a feel at home!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank satomiLime
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Andy, you sound too picky. I don't know what you have against Fred because I think he is a great person. Did you not pay for your accommodation on time or did you not clean up after yourself? Fred is a really great caretaker and I think he and Lilly do a wonderful job at the back packers to make people feel welcome. Fred took me me surfing at the beach, helped me find work and went out of his way to show me around. I think you are very hard to please, Andy. And to FRED and Lilly, thank you for making my stay so pleasant:)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank sair83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caloundra
Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers
1 mi away
ULTIQA Shearwater Resort
ULTIQA Shearwater Resort
#1 of 12 in Kings Beach

Been to Caloundra Backpackers? Share your experiences!