“Find somewhere else”

Caloundra Backpackers
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Ok so we checked in if that's what you call it to a young girl who was sat out front with a gang of others drinking on the sofas she showed us to our room which when we got in we had a very squeaky bed and fan. Everyone seemed to be very clicky with each other and it seemed like a working hostel. Nobody spoke whilst we were there I'm glad it was only for 2 nights we tried to spend as much time as possible out of that place. The walls were paper thin so you could hear everything on the others room. AND you couldn't lock your bedroom door from the inside ????? Seriously I thought I'd skip the negative reviews and check it out myself but I wouldn't waste ur time or money.! A guy we spoke to in the town said you can get a room in one of the hotels for the same price as a room there. AVOID !!!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Kellyandryan123

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed at the hostel for 3 nights and it was OK-ish.
Bathrooms are in need of a cleanup and refurbishment, showers grubby, no standup urinals for the guys in the toilets, and only 2 loo's to choose from.
Kitchen also run down, fridges, oven, plates and utensils not in good condition, and room was OK but only a small fan to cool it down in the 30deg heat - very ineffective.
If you need internet, go use the library in town while you're here, as the hostel connection is almost non-existent, and very frustrating, as it drops out all the time.

Close to supermarket & town (2 mins), and there's a great cheap car rental place just up the road - $30 a day (min 2 days). Beaches only 5-10 mins walk.
Staff very friendly & helpful, but the landlord needs to spend a bit more on the upkeep.

Room Tip: Take a look before booking if possible, some rooms at the rear won't be affected by the other gu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bayliss728
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here one night in december 2012 and paid 60 dollars for a double room with shared facilities. The service offered by the French (tandem) surfing couple was great! They helped us with our arranging flight tickets and even printed out our tickets. More pro's are:
- Close to supermarket
- Free use of internet (which is unfortunately not that stable)
- Free surfboards and bikes
- Nice group of international guests

Con's are:
- Quite small room
- Very bad free bikes
- No airconditioning (there is a fan however)
- No pool

Overall, a nice stay thanks to the friendly owners and guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013

If you're only staying in Caloundra for a couple days, this hostel is a great option. The fact that they will give you free SUP, surf board, AND bike rentals during your stay is reason enough to stay here. My partner and I rented the stand up paddle boards for the few hours and had a dolphin within 10m of us in Bulcock Bay!! Amazing!!

The hostel is otherwise what you'd expect from a budget backpackers. The kitchen areas get messy quickly, as they seem to clean them only once a day (that I noticed). Backpackers never seem to do an adequate job of cleaning up after themselves! The reception hours are a bit random as well; 9am - noon and 2pm - 5pm... You'll need to let them know ahead of time if you need an early or late check-in/out.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Room and bathroom were clean, the outside area was filthy.Rubbish everywhere. We didn't use the kitchen but checked it out and it looked good. I guess its all about the price! Cheap and in a good spot at Kings Beach. We had an issue when we wanted to leave as the 'system' does not start up until 9:00am. I wasn't told this at all until we went to check out and pay so I was annoyed that we had to wait until this time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed here on my journey north when Fred and Lilly with adorable Locki were in residence and it was not the cleanest place but the atmosphere was fantastic.
On my way back down Fred and Lilly has been sacked whilst they were on holiday and another women had taken over the running. Whilst the place was cleaner the atmosphere had gone and it was no longer relaxing to stay here. The new manageress Marie is very intrusive and needs to take a step back, a nice person but a bit too personal for me. Also her and her friend Shelley..... don't like seeing older ladies drinking that way - unpleasant!! Also - terrible beds - old, lumpy with spings sticking out everywhere. Strange smells in kitchen.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Very clean and small, so you knew everyone in the hostel. This was just after a 3 day stay where I did my own thing during the daytime. They had a free BBQ on the first night I was here, which made mingling much easier (and trust me I'm not the life of the party so for me to at least exchange words with everyone says how easy the situation was to make friends). I was worried it'd be rundown because it's the only backpackers in Caloundra and wouldn't have competition but nope, it was actually really clean and beautiful and nice, so THUMBS UP if you're considering accommodation on the Sunshine Coast.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank glache
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caloundra
Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers
#2 of 2 in Dicky Beach
Rumba Beach Resort
Rumba Beach Resort
#1 of 16 in Caloundra

Been to Caloundra Backpackers? Share your experiences!