“Very Unfriendly!”

Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers
Mermaid Beach, Australia
“Very Unfriendly!”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

wow so many similar experiences on here, we thought it was just us!

we stayed here in january, and it was a terrible atmosphere.
the rooms are fine, the place is nice with a pool and lots to do,
but the staff were just plain rude and obnoxious, it was like staying in a jail.
there is a VERY clear divide between the people who stay longer and people just passing through, i understand that they must get all sorts of idiots that pass through and make a nuisance but even still, how hard is it to be friendly?

late one afternoon we were scolded very nastily by a male staff member to be quiet (this is just in the afternoon around 6, in the pool talking and laughing), then the very next night it was fine for the same staff member and his crew to be shrieking and carrying on up until 9pm - complete double standard and just plain victimising outsiders.

like another reviewer on here, we also had an issue with 'security guys' popping into our room un-announced - without even a knock prior. we think this is because while some of our group had left to go into the town, one of our other friends stayed behind, but the staff must have assumed she was out also and decided to poke around our room, which was quite scary for a lone female. when confronted, they said they had a noise complaint - but our floor was quiet, and the room would have been quiet and lights out when they came to investigate, so why not knock? when we asked at reception the next day about it, they were unaware of any noise complaints.

after 10pm the common room is closed, and if you're caught outside of your room for too long (im guessing this only applies to 'outsiders') the staff will watch on the security cameras, and will practically run up the stairs just to ask you what the hell you're doing and to get back in your room or leave, then go back to their staff common room and continue their private party. its great that they are so strict to ensure everyone gets a good night's sleep, but teamed with such a hostile demeanour was just....well weird. I think this place would do better with some management around, not leaving it entirely up to other backpackers to run the place.

we ended up making friends with a couple of other short stay travellers who were also feeling very excluded and basically kept to ourselves.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed in Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers from February until the end of July of 2013. It was one of the most interesting and enjoyable experiences of my life. Having originally moved to the Sunshine Coast to surf, I made a reservation to stay for one week. Upon arrival, I was asked if I would like to be informed of any potential work that may become available. Local businesses (farms especially) come to the local hostels seeking labour. Within a couple of weeks I had secured a job on a local strawberry farm. I kept this job right up until I left. It was tough work, but an invaluable life experience. The hostel keeps a healthy balance between work and socializing. There is a 10pm noise curfew to facilitate the farm workers who have to up very early the next day. However, events are run every couple of days/nights and these are started early to allow everyone a chance to join in. I have heard of people being intimidated by people who have been there for multiple weeks, and naturally people who have spent a long time there will know each other. However, my experience was very welcoming. You need only introduce yourself to a couple of people to experience the friendly backpacking atmosphere this hostel has to offer. I was handed a beer by a group of long-termers on my first evening! Working for accommodation in the hostel is also an option, and one which I found very enjoyable as all the staff share a floor. You can make some lifelong friends in this place. I did.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
foreign
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I had a private room and bathroom and there were long hairs and a dirty shower curtain with unscrubbed walls (could see patches were they tried), no bathmat and when I asked for an extra towel I was told I already had one. Poor bedding for winter and no heating. No hand soap, bedside table or anything and very very noisy. Pool filthy. Staff were unfriendly and not interested in helping with tourist spots... apart from awesome dude who took me to airport both ways! I felt it was overpriced and disappointing overall. Mooloolaba good though.

Room Tip: If your 20 and want to party - do it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Mooloolaba hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed here on 12 and 13 July 2013. The room was reasonably clean, not much you can do about sand in a bedside holiday place. However, the external surrounds (gardens, stairs, bbq area, and common room) were very dirty. Lots of cigarette butts, bottle caps, empty bottle, and old clothing lying about the place. Then at 3am on the Saturday night the fire alarm sounded because apparently a girl had been smoking in a toilet causing the alarm - no fault of the management, but annoying.
The management were great on keeping down the noise after 10pm and the security gate was closed on time.
Overall, the place needs some more active management to clean up the surrounds, and make sure guests do their part too.

Room Tip: Fartherest from the pool area (gets very noisy gthere) and fartherest from floor access door - the d...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed here for 6 months and did all my farm work here. Staff were very friendly and approachable, there was free breakfast every morning, brilliant atmosphere and everyone was very friendly. Over all i really enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to anyone else traveling to the sunshine coast.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed in the backpackers for near 6 months as I was doing regional work and found it so comfortable to be here. I really enjoyed staying here and met some of the best people I could have ever met. The hostel has a really friendly vibe about it and it's very clean. My room was cleaned twice a week and staff were very helpful and respectful. The cleaning team are superb Mary the cleaning lady is one of the nicest people I've ever met! The rooms are a perfect size for four people and the on suite bathrooms are perfect and the showers are amazing compared to other places I've stayed! Overall it made my stay in mooloolaba so enjoyable calling this place my home! They even actively find you work which is awesome!
Ill be back one day!

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Excellent stay in this hostel in Mooloolaba. The receptionists and staff were always helpful and friendly. The hostel itself is clean, well equiped and has a great atmosphere. It's the perfect base for farmwork and Mooloolaba itself is a great place to stay.

I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone thinking of staying here!

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mooloolaba
Caloundra Backpackers
#109 of 140 in Noosa
Twin Pines Motel
Twin Pines Motel
#10 of 15 in Mooloolaba

Been to Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers? Share your experiences!