“Dirty and in need of repair”

Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in a 4 bed dorm. The dorm was filthy with other peoples stuff all over. This obviously meant that nothing could be cleaned/had been cleaned recently. The bed was uncomfortable and creaky. The room lacked A/C and the small fan available did little to ventilate the room. The rest of the hostel was also well below the standard it should be. Most things were broken or damaged and in general need of renovation. The pool did not look clean and I did not see a single guest use it despite the warm weather. Service was generally quite poor with the staff seemingly happy to do as little as possible.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank gandalfthepink
MooloolabaBackpacker, Manager at Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hello Gandalfthepink,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Mooloolaba Backpackers. Its unfortunate the experience you had was not pleasant. As you stayed in November 2013 it would be unfair of me to comment too much on the staff or general cleanliness. Since starting with the business at the end of March, I can agree there is work to be done. We currently are closed for renovations until mid-September, after which we will be reopening the doors to a new and improved Mooloolaba Backpackers! I do hope you can make your way to Mooloolaba for a visit once we have reopened.

Kindest Regards,

The team at Mooloolaba Backpackers

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here maybe 2 months while travelling around Australia, and am still in touch with the friends that I made. It's a great location, clean, simple facilities - it's not a luxury place but you really only need somewhere to rest your head and explore from. The social activities were great and easy to get involved with if you wanted to. Rooms have key card access - standard 4 bed dorms were the norm, although the other block has private ensuite rooms (doubles and family rooms) if required. The shared bathrooms sometimes weren't as clean as they could be (read: after nights out) but I had no complaints. Kitchen facilities were challenging at times but could cook everything I needed to. Would definitely recommend other young (18-30) travellers to stay here.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm, it was clean-ish and had a fan and 2 plug sockets and a cupboard each you could lock (which is more than you get in a good few places). The shared toilets/showers were a bit gross though. The staff were helpful and told us about the area and you could hire surf boards or body boards free of charge. I had to stay a 3rd night due to a mix up with bus times so decided to get a private room which was a but dearer but if you're a couple i certainly recommend you to get this room as you get a tv and private bathroom. The hostel was a bit noisy and i agree with the other comments that it feels a bit like the residents are unfriendly, but i think this hostel offers a lot and is in a great location... The town is great so you should be spending little time in the hostel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Upon our arrival at the lobby (for check-in process), we were put off by the noticeboard telling us that the management would not be held responsible for any consequences from the drinking game. This gave impression that binge drinking would take place.

Our bedroom is on the second floor with the access by stairs - not that clean either. The concern was the absence of a safebox so we asked at the reception where our important documents could be securely stored (as per the requirement under the travel insurance), but no joy, so asked where the shop, selling padlocks, would be, and she said the Night Owl shopping area. We looked around at the shops but none.

The next morning, I was going down stairs to the landing and then landed on chicken nuggets and chips all over the landing. Very appalling.

We made a verbal complaint to the reception requesting refunds so we were to look somewhere else, but the reception offered us credits for extra nighs' stay, but we couldn't agree because of our travel plans already made with no intention of coming back to Mooloolaba. WIth peace of mind, we let this go and continued with our day trips.

A formal letter of complaint was lodged but no response was received. As the payment for this accommodation was made by my credit card for over £100 and as a UK resident, I invoked the Consumer Credit Act 1974, my credit card provider assisted me through the process and a refund in full was given to my final satisfaction. Will not recommend this accommodation to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SmileyDes
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This was my first hostel of my tour around Australia, I was taking part in the Sunshine coast marathon so this was a perfect location for the early start! Staying in a 4 bed dorm the room was spacious although basic with creaky bunk beds! A lot of seasonal workers stay here. Staff were friendly, and the hostel had good facilities for guests to use. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The location is great, the beach is so lovely and not far. That's the only thing I liked. There was no vibe at all, seemed to be a lot of long stayers so they would have only outdoor area (a small picnic table) and they didn't seem to want to socialise with the newbies... The staff were okay, abit rude sometimes. The kitchen was crappy with plastic plates and real grotty pans. The shower had curtains, which were mouldy and the shower furthest away from the towel hooks was always a bad choice. The wifi price was RIDICULOUS, 6$ for 5 hours never seen it that high. I was going to buy it but every time I went to reception it was really busy and it took about 30 minutes to check in new arrivels because their computer kept crashing and deleting the information. I wouldn't stay here again I don't think.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank erh21
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Start with the positives. The location is amazing. The beach is gorgeous and just a 5-7 minute walk. Its DIRECTLY across the road from the Greyhound bus stop. Coles is just down the road and the fridges have plenty of room. They provided towels for us and we got discount at the zoo.

However, when we arrived we had a leaflet that entitled us to a free zoo shuttle bus. The lady on reception told me that they weren't honouring that anymore and forced us to pay for the Greyhound return to the zoo. We complained but nothing was done. The shuttle was only $13.50 for a return so not a massive dent in the budget and we'd already got our adult price zoo ticket reduced to a student. The rooms aren't that clean but they're ok. The pool isn't that clean but it's ok.

One of the nights we stayed was a Thursday night, and the lady on reception advised me that was when everyone comes down and socialises. In fact it's when all the staff who live in just come down and drink together and make no effort to welcome in anyone else. So in fact it's quite an awkward state of affairs. The hostel is just a bunch of mates having a laugh, with no management or schemes set up to make travellers feel welcome.

Boards are free to hire but they're awful so I wouldn't recommend. They also offered free kayak hire on the website but they no longer have any kayaks. Stand up paddle boarding, again free, but the sessions were fully booked three days in advance, which was useless to us as we were only staying for 3 nights.

My advice would be to stay at this hostel for the location, but don't expect anything from the hostel. And if you want to have a good time here and make friends you have to become a member of staff.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlexCoetzee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mooloolaba
Noosa Backpackers Resort
#12 of 16 in Mooloolaba
Caloundra Backpackers
Caloundra Backpackers
#48 of 52 in Caloundra

Been to Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers? Share your experiences!