“Disappointing - Dirty and couldnt wait to leave.”

On the Beach Holiday Apartments
New Zealand
“Disappointing - Dirty and couldnt wait to leave.”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Very disappointed when we arrived. Found it hard to find our room because it was not in their building. They had put us up in a room in the building a few doors down the road that they managed. Room was a good layout and might have been a nice apartment years ago but it was like it had not been cleaned - mould in shower, kitchen bench filthy, floor dirty. I suppose I shouldnt complain as I did make a late booking 10 days before our trip and this was the only place left in Trinity beach. I can see why. I complained about the dirt but they didnt get it cleaned. I also asked for more bedding as the cheap queensland thing of only having sheets on bed wasnt warm enough but didnt get any. It was unexpectedly cold at about 11 degrees. I had to go and buy antibacterial wipes, disinfectant, dish clothes (none suplied), face cloths (none supplied), laundry powder. Fridge setting was not cold enough and had to throw out $100 worth of food after realising it was not kept cold. Turned on the rangehood and bits fell off onto the stove.
Apartment allowed for 4 adults but one bed was a double. As we had 4 single adults for one night we had to pay extra for an old pull out bed. Given the cleaning I had to do I would have thought they could throw this in.

Our 3 nights came to an end and we shifted to the Seachange down the road. What a blessing the move was. Both apartments cost the same but there was absolutely no comparison. Aspire was overpriced for a tired and dirty apartment.

Room Tip: Read through their terms very carefully. Book somewhere else if you have a choice.They can put you i...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine S
MelissaSpeer, Manager at On the Beach Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank you for your Review. It is a difficult one to respond to as nothing was shared with us during your stay - it is a Policy that all Complaints are treated with utmost urgency and this has always been the case. I have discussed your Review with ALL staff and no-one can recall being advised of such issues during your stay.

In saying that,there are a few things I can respond to, and I am happy to provide tips to you and other travelers in order to avoid a repeat of such incidences:

1. We manage 7 buildings and this is widely published. We have Beachfront, Ocean view and Garden View and obviously these are housed separately.

TIP: Always check any Property you stay in so you are aware of what you are booking. Our website has photos and wording which show exactly how the layout is. This is also noted on all Web Listings.

2. Without being told about the apartment being dirty, we can offer no solution. During July we have had issues with our Housekeeping team not diluting their cleaning products enough, causing surfaces to be sticky/tacky to touch. This was identified after a Guest spoke to us on Arrival and was immediately attended to. This has caused some other Reviews here to be less than our 'average' 4 1/2 to 5 grading, and to all Guests who found this, I apologise.

3. We have Bed Runners and matching Valances on our beds, this being the current trend in Hospitality throughout Australia and Worldwide. During your stay it was particularly cold in Cairns which is why we purchased new blankets. Six (6) were issued to Guests who requested such. Unfortunately we didn't hear from you during your stay, therefore could not know that you were cold.

TIP: If there is anything you need during your stay and it is not available in the Apartment, ASK. Most properties have items in store (as we do) and/or can make it readily available.

4. It would appear we didn't place a Dishcloth in your apartment. I apologise for this as it was an oversight when the Apartment was prepared. Being self-contained, we don't supply Laundry Powder however have it readily available, and on display at Reception.

5. We have had no complaints about the fridge since your stay. I can only assume you had the settings too low. We have examined this apartment since reading your Review here, and found no issue. Again, if we had of been notified during your stay, this could have been addressed at the time and we would have been only too happy to reimburse you for spoiled food - if the fridge was indeed faulty. We also found no issue with the Rangehood.

6. Bedding configurations are advertised on all sites and usually requested at the time of booking. We cannot accommodate 4 singles in any of our apartments as all of them have at least one (1) queen bed. If we had of been advised that this was your party, we would have let you know this was the case.

TIP: Always let the Property where you are staying know the make-up of your party. Stating 4 Adults doesn't guarantee 4 Single beds. Place this as a request at the time of your booking and/or contact the Property to discuss your preferences.

Again, thank you for your Review albeit not one we are proud of. I also thank TripAdvisor for the opportunity to Respond.

Regards
Melissa - Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We booked a 3 bedroom self catering apartment for 5 adults using an Expedia hotel and flight combined package. We thought it was very reasonably priced. The bed configuration was flexible. The apartment was huge and very clean. There was a secure under cover garage. It was only metres from the life guard patrolled section of the beach. Trinity beach is a magnificent coastal area just north of Cairns on the road to Port Douglas, Mossman and the Daintree. Much less built up than Palm Cove. We had the sound of waves to put us to sleep. Highly recommended.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
MelissaSpeer, Owner at On the Beach Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review On The Beach. Voted 'Cairns Best Beach' by the locals, we think Trinity Beach is the nicest of all Cairns Beaches - as you mention, close to everything. We appreciate your recommendation and hope you bring your family/friends back again in the future. Kind regards, Melissa - Manager.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment at On the Beach Apartments and it was great. Great big sliding doors in every room and a balcony big enough for breakfast for 5.
We were in the top floor right at the front, and the sunrise was glorious - as was the full moon over the sea. The beach is across a tiny road, and the netted, patrolled area is immediately across from the apartment. We also liked walking to the headlands at either end of the beach for an explore.
I liked that Trinity Beach it's self is small. Just enough restaurants - some cheap, some moderate - for variety, but not so many shops and cafes that you spend your whole holiday spending money. A little supermarket / bottle shop was close enough to grab basics.
The apartment was big, clean and well stocked with what we needed - from the usual, like a good range of cutlery, crockery and pots, to really useful extras, like supplying washing powder for the in-room laundry.
Service was friendly and timely, and even the Trinity Beach airport transfer guy was a joy to deal with.
We had a great time, and would go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
MelissaSpeer, Owner at On the Beach Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Thank you for letting us know what a great time you had...and what a lovely photo of the children enjoying the beach. This is what a great beach holiday is all about.
We have had amazing moons recently and it would seem you were with us for the recent 'Super Moon' - was amazing viewing over the Coral Sea from all of our ocean facing balconies.
We hope you can visit again in the future - perhaps staying in one of our 1 bedroom apartments when the kids are grown up :)
Thank you again. Kind regards
Melissa - Manager
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We have been travelling to Trinity Beach for many years now and wouldn't stay anywhere else than "On the Beach". The service is professional and friendly. The apartments look over the most beautiful beach & hotel, cafe's & restaurant's are within walking distance. Who could ask for more?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
"Who could ask for more?" What a great way to sum up our Property from someone who visits on a regular basis. It is feedback from travellers which allows us to continually improve what we offer. With the recent addition of FREE WI-FI we have something for everyone. Thank you for your kind words - see you soon :)
Kind regards, Melissa, Manager.
Auckland New Zealand
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My third visit to Cairns, but my first stay at Trinity Beach and at the On the Beach Holiday Apartments. I stayed in a one bedroom beachfront apartment on the third (top) floor. A great view from the balcony out over the front garden, swimming pool and across the road to the waves breaking on the golden sands of Trinity Beach. Just like the postcards. The apartment was fine for one person or for a couple, with a fridge, microwave and 2 hobs, which was all that was needed for breakfasts and coffee etc. The bathroom had a shower over the bath and the water pressure was reasonable. There was also a washing machine and dryer in the bathroom which was handy during my week long stay. A nice touch was the small folding clothes drying rack, somewhere to dry the clothes without pumping out hot air from the clothes dryer. The apartment furnishings were modern, smart and well maintained, but the balcony was my favourite location.

As I had been to Cairns before I didnt need to get lots of what to do advice from Kevin and Melissa, the managers. But they were friendly and helpful when I did need some suggestions of where to eat. Trinity Beach has a number of local restaurants and a bar complex, all within easy walking distance along Vasey Esplanade.

There is a small shopping centre with pharmacy, real estate agent and small supermarket about 1 km inland from the beachfront. Okay to walk to if you are keen and only have a few purchases to make, but I used my hire car. There is a larger shopping mall complex at Smithfield which is about 3 km from Trinity Beach on the main Captain Cook Highway. This is good for the grocery shop and for some retail therapy.

I stayed during the second week in June and while the temperatures were pleasantly warm -21-28 degress C, strong winds and overcast skys were more prevalent than hot still blue skys. I managed to swim at the beach (briefly) and tried out the smallish swimming pool that went with my particular building complex at On the Beach. Other buildings in the complex offering 2 bedroom apartments appeared to have larger swimming pools and warmer plunge pools.

Overall I support the number of good reviews aboutOn The Beach Holiday Apartments at Trinity Beach given on Tripadvisor and would happily return here again for some warm weather relaxation in the Southern Hemisphere winter.

The blustery winds meant I didnt go out to the Great Barrier Reef, but went inland to Kuranda instead. Really enjoyed the Butterfly Sanctuary and the Native Bird Habitat in the village.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor have the best view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KenyonKid
MelissaSpeer, Owner at On the Beach Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
'Just like the Postcards' - that's what we love to hear. It is comments such as these which make it all worthwhile for us.
The weather was very inclimate early June and it is sad to hear you didn't get to experience the Great Barrier Reef. Hopefully you can visit again and we can try a little harder to get this right for you.
Thank you for your great feedback. I hope the southern weather is not too cold this winter :)
Regards, Melissa - Manager
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We told check in staff that we were in a hurry as we had booked a rafting trip on arrival. They were very nice and checked us in quickly and told us we can come back later when we have time to get the "rundown" of the place.

I requested a top floor 1 bedroom appartment and they delivered. Our room was nice and clean and comfortable.

The only downside of this place was that the hot tub is not a hot tub. It's part of the swimming pool and is not heated. This of course is understandable due to the climate in Cairns.

The beach is across the street and has a lifeguard on duty. We went for a swim as the ocean water was warmer than the swimming pool water.

It was very nice to sleep to the sound of the waves crashing. Quite relaxing.

We enjoyed sitting on our balcony in the evening while having a drink.

Pick up for most tours is around the corner from this hotel making it very convenient.

There are a few restaurants nearby to choose from as well as a convenient store.

The Night Owl is a bit of a walk but still ok.

Check out was seamless and once again, the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Taxi to and from the airport is just over 50$ one way. Shuttle is 20$ per person. We chose to take a taxi as we were in a hurry to get there on time for our white water rafting tour.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
I am pleased to hear we were able to meet your requests and expectations. Not many people comment on the outdoor spa (hot tub) being cold, but as you mention the ocean temperature is a mild 24 degrees in winter, so great to take advantage of that all year round (up to 28-30 in the Summer months).
The waves rolling on the shore do provide a perfect backdrop to a relaxing time On The Beach - sitting on your private balcony whilst enjoying a drink even makes me jealous :)
I did note that you only rated your sleep quality a 3/5. Are you able to contact myself direct to discuss this. Sleep is one of the most important things to help make your stay 'anywhere' memorable (for hopefully all of the right reasons). With that in mind, I am interested to receive your feedback as to why the 3 rating.
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards - Melissa Speer
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment last week for 4 nights. Had 4 adults and 2 children and the apartment was lovely. Very clean and comfortable, like a home from home with everything you could need. Full kitchen and laundry provided plus some little extras which make holidaying easier, such as cling wrap, lots of crockery and even some books. The apartment is very spacious and the whole block was quiet. Location is fabulous, right on the beach and the sound of waves all day and night is so special. The pool and bbq area was very clean and my 11 year old son used the pool lots, we also used the bbq. Staff all very friendly and helpful and gave local insight and tips which made researching easier for us. We had a fantastic time and would definitely look at returning to this little piece of paradise.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
It sounds like you had a fabulous time, and took full advantage of the services and facilities we provide. Thank you for acknowledging the clean facilities and apartments as our Housekeeping and Maintenance teams try very hard to get this right on every occasion. We hope you can join us again one day. Thanks for sharing your feedback with fellow travelers. Kind regards - Melissa, Owner Manager