Southern Ocean Lodge
US$107
US$88
Trip.com
Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge(American River)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$135
US$117
Priceline
Links Lady Bay Resort(Normanville)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$141
  • Pool
Kangaroo Island Seaside Inn(Kingscote)
  • Free Internet
  • Beachfront
Casuarina Coastal Units(American River)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgreat roomwine cellarthe cliffsea lionsincluded toursremarkable suitefood and wineevery mealkangaroo islandevery aspectbucket listhigh expectationsfloor to ceiling windowsstunning locationclassic menuother guestsremarkable rocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Arriving at the Hotel at about 3pm Coming von adelaide by Car and ferry ( 4.5 h) we asked for a light Snack. The receptionist stated: " lunch Time is over, but we will see what we can do for you" . This is not our understanding of hospitality.

All Reviews on Trip-advisor are right: great stunning uninterruptable ocean view, well organised Tourist-excursions , good cuisine e.t.c.!

The negatives:
You Feel like in a youth Hostel for Upper Class minors!
As you have no alternatives for anything you feel Not relaxed

Its a Feeling of Indoctrination in Sense of Eco-Style

No tv, no mobile, no usedul WLAN- web, no gym, no Outside dining enjoying lazy Summer Nights, no Sun shelter for the Outside-area having breakfast. Why dining in a airconditioned multifunctional room on a hot Summer Night?

Need Some workout? Take One of the so called MTB's and take a ugly Ride on the only Way You will find and feel happy to be overtaken by the hotel-Mini-Buses not taking care of all the dust you might swallow.

Thats why we observed the hotel guests leaving the hotel within 1to 3 days. So we shortened our stay. Certainly we were charged 100 procent.
No one asked why.

This is not a Place for a stay of more then 3 days.

Anyway: Kangaroo island is a nice Place to be seen.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Johannes W
BaillieLodgesAust, Guest Relations Manager at Southern Ocean Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Southern Ocean Lodge. We are thrilled that overall you enjoyed the spectacular location, fine cuisine and naturalist guided experiences. We'd of course like to address your other comments. Arrival refreshments are always provided no matter what time of day and whilst restaurant service was not possible, our team did their utmost to ensure you were comfortable and sated. With regards to the WLAN service, being in a remote location does cause issues and sometimes an immediate fix is beyond our control as they originate with the telecommunications provider. Whilst limited, mobile reception is available; TVs are provided in most suites (and if not, can be on request). Gym facilities there may not be, but the natural surroundings provide a plethora of energetic pursuits; with regards to cycling, the sealed driveway suits most guests - for those wishing to go off track, there are further options, we are sorry if you were not made aware. From its eyrie above the limestone cliffs, the lodge takes full advantage of the pristine coastal surroundings, however, it is not intended as a flop and drop beach resort. The Australian sun can be harsh, particularly when the day is one of the hottest in South Australian history since 1939 (as it was at the time). Our team are aware of the dangers and encourage a safe "slip slop slap" approach. We apologise if this was felt to be overly anxious, but your health and safety was our greatest concern and if you were to have dined alfresco at night, you would have encountered a few extra dinner guests of the insect and possum variety! It was a shame to see you leave early, but this was explained to be related to your travel connections in Adelaide; certainly our cancellation policy invoked two months prior to arrival, encourages travel insurance for such reasons. We thank you once again for your feedback and hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This review is a little late (almost 2 years). I must also state that our stay at the Lodge was a prize that I won, so not sure if my comments would change if I had paid for the experience. My family (4 of us) and my sister and brother in law stayed at the Lodge in April 2012 - we would never be able to afford accommodation such as this normally, and our stay here has become the new standard that my kids constantly refer to - nothing is as good as the Southern Ocean Lodge. My 9 year old at the time fell in love with the steak and no steak has ever been as good as that steak since! Everything we ate at the Lodge was exceptional. All serves were "elegant sufficiency" size which allowed you to enjoy each course with the wine and not feel overfull. The staff catered to your every need. The views out over the ocean when you first walk in are breathtaking. Our rooms were beautifully appointed and the included minibar was stocked with lovely and diverse treats. My only very small observation/criticism was that the screen doors on our accommodation had a fair bit of corrosion, obviously from the salt in the sea air. Not sure if the screens were made from marine grade steel to help prevent this - only a small thing, but I was surprised by it given the overnight rates for the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Suzanne G
BL_Marketing, Marketing Manager at Southern Ocean Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you so much for feeling inspired to post your review and share the experience of your family. We love being the benchmark against which all others are measured! The location atop the limestone cliffs, looking out over the ever-changing Southern Ocean is a big part of the wonder that is Southern Ocean Lodge. However, corrosion is an unavoidable consequence of the marine environment. As part of our constant maintenance program, all screens and frames have been replaced since your visit and are regularly maintained to curtail the effects of Mother Nature.

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I must premise that I am writing this review nearly one year late as I have previously only used trip advisor and not contributed.

However my wife and I have been travelling around the world and still reflect on how amazing our experience was at southern ocean lodge.

In march 2013 we wanted something special but somewhat local for our honeymoon knowing we'd be traveling later in the year.

So we booked southern ocean lodge. The experience was amazing.

Upon arriving late with our delayed flight my wife and I and another couple were greeted by a lovely driver at the airport. She knew our names and where we were from and that we had missed our flight.

The drive was long but the scenery magnificent. Upon check in we were greeted with champagne and a seat in front of what can only be described as one of the most breathtaking views in the world. Untouched nature and ocean beauty surrounded by lovely green landscape of a cliff edge. It was sensational. Each couple checking in had a personal team member greet us and sit down with us with a prep planned itinerary, pre booked and organised but you could opt out of things if you wanted.

You never needed cash or card. All food (locally sourced) and drink (amazing wine and cocktail list) included in the daily rate. You could truly do nothing except relax.

The massage was situated in a stunning salon located atop a hill overlooking the ocean.

The restaurant was amazing and the service impeccable.

Everything even the building design was true to the lovely surroundings. Our room was imported stone with heated floors and floor to ceiling glass.

By day two staff had remembered my name and were introducing themselves to me in the hallways and walk ways. The service was unbelievable.

There is so much more to say. That cannot be expressed in this review.

It was a perfect honey moon and if you have the money certainly an experience worth doing.

Just a note there is not reception and very slow internet. But I found it forced me to take my mind off work and focus on my holiday. Truly wonderful

A big thank you to the entire team. You've completely raised the bar of hotel accommodation and service.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This was a special trip for a special birthday and it lived up to every expectation. My only complaint is that our 2 night stay was not long enough. Even though we knew ahead that everything was included, the experience of having a luxuriously stocked mini bar, a la carte dining and extensive wine cellar at your disposal really made our stay feel indulgent. The cleverly designed rooms allow for a spectacular view but complete privacy and staff service could not be faulted. Coming back from dinner to find the room prepared, including a welcoming oil burner, or my husband's fishing clothes which had been strewn on the bed now carefully packed away is quite a treat. The friendliness and expertise of every staff member also makes guests feel like they in their own home but having a 5+ star experience at the same time.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the main pavilion require quite a hike up the hill.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlisonCoffsHarbour
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Heaven! It must be. There is no comparable experience as you first enter the pavilion. Be forwarned though, that the Internet is spotty at best. Flights cannot be checked into and important business or banking transactions may not be possible. Plan ahead!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple