“An eye Opener”

Bicheno Penguin Tours
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Bicheno
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided tour to see little penguins come ashore on the beach each evening.
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Depart for our tour at 6.30,reached the beach and was briefed on the Do &Don't.
The tour is very informative,after patiently waited about 10min,the ferry penguin march towards their usual 'nest',to our delight, the birds doesn't seem to be bothered by our presence!
We visited 3spots on the Bicheno beach,the 'parents' seem to nurture their offspring with great care, the tour are indeed an educational experience for all.

1  Thank THAM38
There are newer reviews for Bicheno Penguin Tours

Reviewed 26 April 2014

The people who work for this Company are wonderful. Nick, who took my booking over the phone was so helpful and we chatted about other sites and activities in the area. Gary, who conducted our penguin tour was very knowledgable. We didn't see enough penguins coming up the beach….wrong time of year!!! Still managed to get up close and personal…a better experience than Phillip Island and/or Victor Harbour in SA. A fun thing to do…..rug up and go see the penguins!!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

These guys are doing a wonderful job protecting the penguin nesting areas and education the public. We were there in March, so not peak time for penguins, they were honest and told us that they only saw 1 penguin the night before, so it was a bit risky. But we decided to go anyway, as this is not something we do in Queensland. WE saw 8 penguins, it was great, the guides were friendly and knowledgable, by paying them for the trip which I feel was worth every sent helps keep these little creatures safe.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Due to the time of year, we only saw 8 penguins - 4 who actually came in from the water and 4 who were already on land moulting - but the company was very upfront, both when they emailed to confirm our booking and when I called to pay, that penguin numbers were likely to be low.
I don't care that there were only a few, because we got SO close to one who came across the beach and right up to the path to get to his burrow.
We felt a little rushed at the end when they started turning the path lights off, but I guess 45 minutes of penguin time is enough.
I liked that it was only a small group on the tour, although the attitude of one of the women in the group when reminded that there were no photos allowed was a bit obnoxious (it says no cameras on the website and in the bus - it's so that the penguins don't get scared!)
I would like to go back when the penguins are en masse!

1  Thank sosaidellie
Reviewed 27 March 2014

it's been a dream of mine to see penguins in the wild so this was a must-do on my trip to Tasmania. The Bicheno Penguin Tour was easy to book online. We found the staff to be very knowledgable. We saw a lot of penguins (around 70, I would estimate). We saw them come in from the water and waddle up the beach to their nesting areas. We also got to see penguin chicks in nesting boxes (smelly little things!). Highly recommended.

1  Thank Michelle66Canberra