“Very good indeed!”

Diamond Island Resort & Penguin Show
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bicheno
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I seldom type reviews but was urged to do so after my recent visit to Bicheno. I booked this hotel months ago as a HK celebrity stayed here before, so I thought this must be one of the best in the area. When the date drew closer I started to look up reviews here and was very shocked by the numerous reviews saying that this resort is substandard, many even said it was the worst experience. I instantly regretted but there wasn't anything I can do as I paid in full for guarantee of reservation.

I lowered my expectation before my trip to avoid being disappointed, BUT, when I arrived at the resort i indeed W-O-W-ed. The resort room was VERY lovely and the view was SUPERB. Amenities are all good and I could not take my eyes off the beautiful view from the balcony. Although not in the Bicheno town centre, it's only 2-3 min drive from the town where there's a supermarket and lots of restaurants.

Mel who helped with my booking was very nice and helpful, answered each of my questions into detail and when we met during breakfast we also had a casual chat.

My hubby and I were VERY HAPPY of our stay and we would recommend our friends here too!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janjantong

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had a great night here. It is obvious that the new managers are hard workers who are trying to tidy up and fix up. They were really friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable with loads of space. 2 singles in an upstairs room, our queen in a loft type room and then another single downstairs in the lounge room - while still allowing lots of room in the lounge area. We saw the penguins with the resort staff - there were only a few penguins because of the time of year - but there would have only been a few if we'd paid $125 for the tour too. The lounge/library was cool and we enjoyed a pre-dinner drink and entrees in the lounge before we went out the penguins. The kids had a ball playing on the big lawn area in front of the rooms. Breakfast - which was included in our tariff - was a continental - basic but perfectly adequate. This is not a Sebel Resort but it doesn't pretend to be. Great place for kids, lots of space in the room and lots of safe playing space outside the room. The views are spectacular and whilst there are a few maintenance issues I think the managers are working to get on top of those. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My Mother and Anty have just come back from their worst hoilday they have ever had at this resort , they said what a dive , and very expensive , would never go back there again
The grounds were untidy and unkepted , the Sand Tennis court had weeds growing all over it
There was no reception area , we were shown our room , and not even made up or clean , dirty towels on the floor dirty dsihes in the sink , beds not even made up

Room Tip: Never stay there
14  Thank Christine L L
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Spent 2 nights at Diamond Island Resort and thoroughly enjoyed my stay in this excellent location where the scenery and beach is stunning! My room was well appointed and had the most comfortable bed!! There was even a bathrobe which I usually associate with 5 Star Hotels. Unfortunately it rained one day so was not able to take full advantage of the surrounds however it was fun to unwind in the resorts cosy, funky library. Enjoyed some excellent meals in the restaurant sampling some of Tasmania's finest produce and wine. Great central location for visiting other areas along the East Coast. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms on top level have the best view and are quieter.
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Called to try to book a wedding venue and was on the line with a "manager" who was of no help and worst customer service I have ever experienced. Lacking any kind of professionalism and organization. We were looking to hold our special day at Diamond Island and this place will no longer be considered. Such a disappointment this place needs new staff!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
16  Thank brandi442014
Reviewed 22 April 2014

First impressions were poor--the staff didn't seem ready for us, keys were haphazardly thrown in our direction and not enough rooms were available, for our group. Once we settled in we found very nice rooms at a TERRIFIC location. Manager/owner is a bit rough around the edges, but means well and is very accommodating. The access to beach is awesome, the penguins were cute (if a tad noisy) and we enjoyed our stay greatly. If you're looking for a professional/polished place, probably not for you--if you're looking for some place that offers a great location and clean accommodations, this is worth checking out.

2  Thank OSF35
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at Diamond Island Resort during our holiday in Tasmania.

Before we arrived we were very excited to be staying at this resort so close to the penguins. When we arrived the first thing I noticed was the general untidiness, simple things like a pool table with a big rip in the fabric, no toilet paper in the foyer bathroom and damaged items on display in the gift room.

Check in was uneventful and the staff member friendly enough, but dressed untidly as the first impression of this resort. It made it feel like a family run B and B not a resort.

Breakfast and dinner run only for an hour and the food very basic. They also left the buffet table messy which shouldn't be hard to keep tidy over 1 hour of service.
Our room was nice but untidy as it seemed that the cleaners rushed to prepare the room.

Overall our experience was below average for the price we paid. It felt more like a cheap motel than resort.

• Stayed: April 2014
11  Thank Bauersmith_au
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bicheno
Beachfront Bicheno
#2 of 2 in Coles Bay
Bicheno by the Bay
Bicheno by the Bay
#2 of 12 in Bicheno

Been to Diamond Island Resort & Penguin Show? Share your experiences!