“Hearty & delicious food - great value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Benalla
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Breakfast, brunch,lunch ,afternoon cake and coffee.Fully licenced open 5 Days, Closed Monday &Tuesdays. Winner Benalla Business Network Award- Small Business 2014. Open Wed, Thur & Fri 7.30/ 5.00pm Sat% Sun 8/ 4.00pm
Melbourne, Australia
“Hearty & delicious food - great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Main Street Cafe is the type of place to return to each time you pass through Benalla. If only every Australian country town had cafes of this quality upon which you could rely when you are looking to have a break and nourishing refuel after a long drive. Whenever I visit this cafe! I wish I had had the capacity to eat a lot more on the menu, which is incredibly diverse with something to please everyone. The servings are also huge - so great value for money. At my most recent visit, I had the pasta of the day which had a hearty, tomato based sauce with chorizo and olives etc - it was absolutely delicious. I always order the red velvet cup cakes each time I visit as well - those cupcakes are so good that I always buy some to take away as well for family at home - I know nowhere in Melbourne that has anything this good and believe me, I have eaten a few cupcakes in my time! My travelling companion ordered the chocolate churros and said they were better than anything tasted on a recent visit to Spain. Staff were busy when we visited as this place is understandably pretty popular on the weekend with locals and tourists for breakfast and lunch - but they are incredibly cheerful and keen to serve and we got our meals very promptly. I was so surprised when I read the incredibly negative review below - I suspect they have got confused and have written a review for the wrong cafe? I think you can see from all the incredibly positive reviews that this is a great little spot - not to be missed when you are next in Benalla - great job guys - keep up the great work! AND don't ever take those red velvet cupcakes off the menu!

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Nicole K

Melbourne, Australia
“I wish I lived closer to this cafe - it is excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I wish this cafe was just around the corner from where I live. I visit the Benalla region regularly and always make a point of having a meal at this cafe when I am in the area because the food is excellent. I very much enjoyed the corn fritters with bacon on my last visit, and the fish and chips on the visit before that. Great coffee, friendly atmosphere and I like the local touches. Helpful staff and very clean premises.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank R0bbie3000
Sydney, Australia
“All Good.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We chose this place using TripAdvisor. I ordered mocha and got a cappuccino. We ordered Eggs Benedict but there was no greenery on the plate and it was expensive. The mens toilet is what you would find in a country pub. The cafe is in a great setting with a shop attached as well. Anyway the coffee was good.

1 Thank BriandRosa
Stephen L, Owner at Main Street Cafe, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
This review was for the cafe and gift shop next door to my Business Main Street Cafe. We don't have Eggs Benedict on our menu or a gift shop and take great pride in our bathrooms. Sorry for the confusion that this review may cause.
Brisbane, Australia
“best cafe meal ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

lucky for us we stumbled across this little gem in the main street of Benella. Well this was a delightful little home style cafe, although there was nothing home style about the meal. Fresh asparagus, pancetta, soft eggs and lemon dressing. If only we weren't passing through I would have gone back for breakfast, lunch and dinner and had the same dish!

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank HartleyLe
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely cafe with friendly approachable staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We ate here during our holiday stay with Benalla being the closest main town. The staff were friendly and helpful. Coffee was good, not too burnt or bitter. We ordered the battered flathead - fish and chips and I had the calamari salad. The batter was not greasy at all and was light and crispy. My calamari salad was delicious and tasty. Although it was more salad than calamari in my opinion.That being said, it didn't make me like the food any less. Highly recommend this cafe.

• Visited July 2013