“A happy surprise”

Main Street Cafe
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Benalla
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Breakfast, brunch,lunch ,afternoon cake and coffee.Fully licenced open 5 Days, Closed Monday &Tuesdays. Winner Benalla Business Network Award- Small Business 2014. Open Wed, Thur & Fri 7.30/ 5.00pm Sat% Sun 8/ 4.00pm
Berrima, Australia
“A happy surprise”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stopped by chance for breakfast one way to Melb then, impressed, lunch on the way back. Both meals were well cooked, well presented and PLENTIFUL (couldn't finish the spaghetti with meatballs!). Staff are friendly and the kitchen seems organised and quick. We arrived just as lunch service was finishing but Jamielee said she'd make sure we were fitted in. Really sweet. This is the place to break your trip; certainly more than just "stop, revive and survive".
Also, toilets are immaculate. Is there no way of deleting dumb reviews from this site?

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Lindsay P

Benalla, Australia
“Excellent and Interesting Food”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

It's always good here. The food is consistent, it's interesting and it tastes great.

Benalla is very fortunate to have a café of this quality and the food is far and away the best of day time offerings in town.

Who knew you could get great huevos rancheros in country town Benalla? Of that a Philly Cheesesteak with clever home made 'cheese whizz' or healthy and delicious chicken freekeh was available next to sweet corn fritters or a ricotta pancakes?

There are staples and sandwiches too and the home made cakes are superb.

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank Andrew H
Melbourne, Australia
“Hearty & delicious food - great value”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Main Street Cafe is the type of place to return to each time you pass through Benalla. If only every Australian country town had cafes of this quality upon which you could rely when you are looking to have a break and nourishing refuel after a long drive. Whenever I visit this cafe! I wish I had had the capacity to eat a lot more on the menu, which is incredibly diverse with something to please everyone. The servings are also huge - so great value for money. At my most recent visit, I had the pasta of the day which had a hearty, tomato based sauce with chorizo and olives etc - it was absolutely delicious. I always order the red velvet cup cakes each time I visit as well - those cupcakes are so good that I always buy some to take away as well for family at home - I know nowhere in Melbourne that has anything this good and believe me, I have eaten a few cupcakes in my time! My travelling companion ordered the chocolate churros and said they were better than anything tasted on a recent visit to Spain. Staff were busy when we visited as this place is understandably pretty popular on the weekend with locals and tourists for breakfast and lunch - but they are incredibly cheerful and keen to serve and we got our meals very promptly. I was so surprised when I read the incredibly negative review below - I suspect they have got confused and have written a review for the wrong cafe? I think you can see from all the incredibly positive reviews that this is a great little spot - not to be missed when you are next in Benalla - great job guys - keep up the great work! AND don't ever take those red velvet cupcakes off the menu!

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Nicole K
Melbourne, Australia
“I wish I lived closer to this cafe - it is excellent”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I wish this cafe was just around the corner from where I live. I visit the Benalla region regularly and always make a point of having a meal at this cafe when I am in the area because the food is excellent. I very much enjoyed the corn fritters with bacon on my last visit, and the fish and chips on the visit before that. Great coffee, friendly atmosphere and I like the local touches. Helpful staff and very clean premises.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank R0bbie3000
Sydney, Australia
“All Good.”
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We chose this place using TripAdvisor. I ordered mocha and got a cappuccino. We ordered Eggs Benedict but there was no greenery on the plate and it was expensive. The mens toilet is what you would find in a country pub. The cafe is in a great setting with a shop attached as well. Anyway the coffee was good.

1 Thank BriandRosa
Stephen L, Owner at Main Street Cafe, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
This review was for the cafe and gift shop next door to my Business Main Street Cafe. We don't have Eggs Benedict on our menu or a gift shop and take great pride in our bathrooms. Sorry for the confusion that this review may cause.