“Enormous breakfast”

Main Street Cafe
Ranked #3 of 39 Restaurants in Benalla
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Breakfast, brunch,lunch ,afternoon cake and coffee.Fully licenced open 5 Days, Closed Monday &Tuesdays. Winner Benalla Business Network Award- Small Business 2014. Open Wed, Thur & Fri 7.30/ 5.00pm Sat% Sun 8/ 4.00pm
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had breakfast here and thought it was delicious and the only complaint was it was really too much for one serving. Our meal was well presented, the service was friendly and coffee so good that we returned the next morning.

6  Thank cebazat

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Came here due to trip advisor meals. Waited ages to have our order taken and even longer for food to arrive which was burnt burger and Mexican eggs. Pretty disappointed wouldn't recommend.

9  Thank Chapdawg
Stephen L, Owner at Main Street Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

When customers consume the majority of a meal, then complain,it makes it extremely hard to rectify the problem. If I was made aware before I would happily have cooked another, or taken the item off the bill.In relation to slow service and then the long wait for meals I don't think that a few minutes to wait to order on a very busy Sunday morning and then 20 minutes to receive meals is bad at all, in fact I was proud of how quickly we fed over 100 people considering we only have about 50 seats.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stopped by chance for breakfast one way to Melb then, impressed, lunch on the way back. Both meals were well cooked, well presented and PLENTIFUL (couldn't finish the spaghetti with meatballs!). Staff are friendly and the kitchen seems organised and quick. We arrived just as lunch service was finishing but Jamielee said she'd make sure we were fitted in. Really sweet. This is the place to break your trip; certainly more than just "stop, revive and survive".
Also, toilets are immaculate. Is there no way of deleting dumb reviews from this site?

4  Thank Lindsay P
Reviewed 21 April 2014

It's always good here. The food is consistent, it's interesting and it tastes great.

Benalla is very fortunate to have a café of this quality and the food is far and away the best of day time offerings in town.

Who knew you could get great huevos rancheros in country town Benalla? Of that a Philly Cheesesteak with clever home made 'cheese whizz' or healthy and delicious chicken freekeh was available next to sweet corn fritters or a ricotta pancakes?

There are staples and sandwiches too and the home made cakes are superb.

5  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Main Street Cafe is the type of place to return to each time you pass through Benalla. If only every Australian country town had cafes of this quality upon which you could rely when you are looking to have a break and nourishing refuel after a long drive. Whenever I visit this cafe! I wish I had had the capacity to eat a lot more on the menu, which is incredibly diverse with something to please everyone. The servings are also huge - so great value for money. At my most recent visit, I had the pasta of the day which had a hearty, tomato based sauce with chorizo and olives etc - it was absolutely delicious. I always order the red velvet cup cakes each time I visit as well - those cupcakes are so good that I always buy some to take away as well for family at home - I know nowhere in Melbourne that has anything this good and believe me, I have eaten a few cupcakes in my time! My travelling companion ordered the chocolate churros and said they were better than anything tasted on a recent visit to Spain. Staff were busy when we visited as this place is understandably pretty popular on the weekend with locals and tourists for breakfast and lunch - but they are incredibly cheerful and keen to serve and we got our meals very promptly. I was so surprised when I read the incredibly negative review below - I suspect they have got confused and have written a review for the wrong cafe? I think you can see from all the incredibly positive reviews that this is a great little spot - not to be missed when you are next in Benalla - great job guys - keep up the great work! AND don't ever take those red velvet cupcakes off the menu!

4  Thank Nicole K