“Comfortable for a stopover”

Southern Ocean Motor Inn
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We had a long day/drive, and did not arrive in Port Campbell until after 8pm. We were greeted via the intercom, which was fine, and told where our room and keys were. The room was clean and comfortable, if dated, and suited our needs perfectly. Many thanks to the manager who gave us great tips on breakfast the next morning and also the sightseeing spots.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

My husband and I got the last available room on the Australia Day long weekend. We got a room for 3 as that was all that was left at $155. Manager friendly. The room was spacious, visibly clean apart from a food splatter above the clock radio, and a build up of dust on window sills, and overbead lighting. Bed was comfortable, room very dated, old style tv. Shower went cold whilst I was using it in the morning. Very well located, across from the jetty and close to shops. Could be a very nice motel, but needs abit of TLC .Would stay again off peak when the rates are lower.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Pretty disappointing for $165- . Clean but very basic and very 60's. Bed was well used and no air-conditioning was a shock (this was the 40 degree + summer). I paid extra for 'ocean view' but everyone gets the same view, except we were a bit closer. Not worth it. As this place doesn't offer dining facilities, a microwave in the room would have been a nice touch.

What did annoy me was the owners attitude. I pulled up at 'reception hut' at the front at 1:50pm - was told (via intercom) that I'd have to wait 10 minutes. When he did turn up he was surly and unfriendly. People like this need to get out of the hospitality industry. I doubt I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for 'ocean view' - it doesn't exist. Local louts drink in park acr...
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We were put in a room with no view other than a clay wall. Poor light. Dingy room. Run down. Claims to have Internet but we couldn't access it after 2 hours. The owner suggested going out into the car park to get a connection. That didn't work.

Room Tip: Make sure you aren't given a room under the stairs or you will continually hear people passing b...
Reviewed 20 January 2013

This motel has such potential for where it is, but my experience of it was dissappointing. The room was a good size and the bathroom was clean and well appointed. In fact I always like to stay where the motelier supplies tissues. But the lack of AC really needs to be addressed.
I am sorry I cant give a fuller account of my time there, but the lack of AC really made it hard for me to enjoy it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We left booking our accommodation too late and this was all that was available for our dates and number in our group. We were very disappointed at how old it was, looks newer from the road but the room was very old and the floor very uneven. On the positive it was immaculately clean which is important to me but for the price it really is not good value for money. We had 4 adults and 2 small children, I had assumed that the 2 bedroom would be that 2 bedrooms plus a living area, not the beds in the 'living area' (there is no sofa) so there was no where to play or even watch the TV without sitting on someone's bed. We wouldn't stay there again, next time we would book earlier and get somewhere much nicer for the same price.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
David T, Manager at Southern Ocean Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

We regret that we did not meet the expectations of our guests in this instance. All rooms have a table and chairs for watching TV and some guests prefer to sit on the beds rather than the chairs. We do make every effort to be factual in our on-line booking information and make it clear that our family units consist of two bedrooms with a shared bathroom. We also feel that our pricing reflects our accommodation offering, and we do not presume to provide an apartment or villa.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

We arrived in the evening without reservations. When asking common questions about rates and breakfast I got a pretty annoying reaction like "Why asking so many questions...just take it or leave again" and "Breakfast? This is a motel, what do you expect....tomorrow morning the shops are open again, get your own breakfast". Not the attitude we are used to in Australia.

The room was old, dark and smelly.....not a good experience and for sure not what to expect for 115 AUSD in off season (June 2012).
When driving through Port Campbell the next day we saw numerous alternatives....if you plan to stay in PC...pick one of those.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

I was very very disappointed to read this review. I take great pride in greeting all of my guests in a friendly and helpful manner. My staff and I make a genuine attempt to make our guests welcome and provide them with all the local information they may be seeking.