Art Series - The Cullen
Agoda.com
Toorak Manor(Toorak)
US$75
US$71
St. Kilda Junction Accommodation(St Kilda)(Great Value!)
US$84
  • Fitness centre
US$113
US$89
US$75
  • Room Service
Pullman Melbourne Albert Park(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$158
Hotel Claremont(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$54
  • Breakfast included
Mantra St Kilda Road(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$105
  • Bar/Lounge
1,299 results
All reviewsfrosted glassprahran marketacross the roadchapel streetroom servicerestaurant downstairsjunior penthousefunky hotelfantastic hoteldumplingschinese restaurantcomfortable bedsgreat showersmall kitchenettecafes and restaurantsned kellyyour doorstep
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I"ve just returned from 5 days at the Cullen having been in Melbourne with my son for a sporting competition. The hotel was excellent. I've stayed in lots of 5 star hotels all over the world for both business and pleasure and I couldn't fault it. This is the fourth time I've used the Mr and Mrs Smith website to select a boutique hotel and once again their standards are great.

The Cullen's is very conveniently located, with Chapel st just around the corner and the fabulous Prahan Markets literally across the road. The entire area is full of great trendy shops, bars and restaurants.

The hotel is very comfortable and cozy (most important given it was very chilly June weather) while being modern, interesting and immaculately presented.

There was a laundry located handily on our floor as I had sports clothes and wet towels to launder and dry each evening and the kitchenette proved very useful for regular snacks at odd hours of the day and night!

While not as large as an appartment we found there was plenty of room in our Twin Deluxe Suite, for a 5 day stay.

Room Tip: The 5th floor was as quiet as a mouse!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
MattGuy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

Im thrilled you got to experience a longer stay at The Cullen and made full use of the kitchenette and laundry facilities available. It sounds like you ingrained yourself in the Melbourne culture as well - Prahran is certainly a vibrant and buzzing suburb that seems to change every week.

Its also great to know about your experiences with Mr and Mrs Smith. After joining with them last year, we have made so many friends and feel the website is a great fit for us as a boutique hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit, we'll keep the heat up against the Melbourne winter,

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 June 2011

My first stay at the Cullen was shortly after it opened, and I wondered whether the excellent experience had something to do with how new it all was. A year later, I don't think so. Like last time, staff were impeccably friendly and helpful, especially as I needed more assistance than usual due to the ash cloud delaying my departure and making my room my office for a day!
The room and its facilities have been well cared for, and housekeeping was excellent.
The one complaint I have is one of those little bugbears that seems to be true in many hotels. Despite having signs and protestations about their commitment to caring for the environment, housekeeping still replaced the towels I hung on the rail with fresh ones. I also wonder why these hotels that talk about their commitment to the environment (especially those with kitchenettes) don't have separated garbage bins for recycling. It seems a relatively small change to make.
At any rate, this doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for the Cullen. I again experienced excellent service in the most comfortable room in Melbourne, and I'll be back again.

Dear Trevar,

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to receive feedback from guests who stayed with us at opening and have come back again. Im pleased you have experienced the same level of service and facilities both times.

The ash cloud caused havoc for many travellers - in cases such as these we will always do our utmost to assist where we can. Im glad you were able to use your room as a temporary office, be sure to remember the Guest Experience Desk provides business facilities should you need to work out of the hotel again.

The Cullen has been given an environmental 6 star rating - the highest attainment in Australia due to our rainwater usage for the gardens, efficient heating and cooling systems, selective waste management and green initiatives. We do most of this hard work behind the scenes, and only ask guests to hang towels they would like to re-use. While this is a simple way to minimise our carbon footprint, we would never expect a guest to use a wet towel and will change the towels if we believe they will not dry in time. Bottles and plastics are separated behind-the-scenes as well and sent for recycling.

I'm glad you have found a new favourite hotel in Melbourne, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Cullen in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2011

My organisation tried this hotel out for some work we were doing. The rates are very good indeed (we usually use The Westin). This hotel was well-located and they are contracted with a good chauffeur-taxi service so you can get around easily.

The hotel features many rather brutal-looking paintings, it's very modern and bright. The rooms are smallish but well-appointed and most things work.. nice little kitchenette and a giant flat TV on the wall that you can turn to face where you are watching from. Lack of a comfy TV-watching chair was a shame. There's a soft little couch but it faces the wrong way and is quite heavy!

Air Con works very well indeed, very quiet. Can open a window for air. I found the bed had started to collapse a bit (they are king made up with 2 single mattresses), mostly on one side that evidently got more use. Pillows were perfect, the kind you can burrow a hole in for your head. Nice linen, and a down quilt. Nice towels and toiletries, stylish bathroom. Bar fridge was so frosted up, the door wouldn't close so I defrosted it.

Nice bathrobes and slippers, and the mark of a good hotel: proper hangers, not those appalling anti-theft things!

You could hear the trams and things outside, but it wasn't too bad at all, i was in a side-street overlooking the entrance. There was some internal noise though, from other rooms or the hallway, that was a bit intrusive at times. Wouldn't call it a noisy hotel though.

Breakfast in their restaurant was good, the prices were half what you'd pay in a city hotel and the food was good: modern and tasty.

What this place did really well though was the staff. They were all helpful and seemed happy, there was never a wrong note from them. Clearly this company is doing something very right if the staff are happy.

Room Tip: For less traffic noise, get a room on the back.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback - its a pleasure to receive and I'm sure other Tripadvisor viewers will find all of your points most helpful.

We do pride ourselves on ensuring each Cullen suite is comfortable and designed with the guest in mind. As you can attest to, this mantra extends into our wardrobes where you will find 10 non-attached Art Series wooden hangers (both trouser and flat varieties). In the end, do we really expect every guest to steal a clothes hanger to the point we have to attach them to the rail?

I'm thrilled you enjoyed the interaction with our staff members. We maintain a fun, energetic working environment at The Cullen and I'm glad you got to experience the positive attitude and warm service we aim to provide.

I hope to catch up with you next time you are with us, be sure to tell your friends at The Westin to try Art Series next.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

This was my second in the Art Series and it is a good chain.This hotel is better for holiday makers and not as good for a business trip It is still very practical but is more relaxed in the way it deals with guests. I liked the place.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
MattGuy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

I'm thrilled you have gotten to experience two of our very different hotels in the Art Series Hotel Group. It sounds like you appreciated the relaxed and friendly vibe of the hotel. We do aim to give every guest, regardless of their reason for travel, a 'holiday maker' experience, while offering all the business-related facilities you need.

Be sure to let our Reservations team know your corner room preference and we will certainly do our best to accommodate next time you book.

Reviewed 15 June 2011

I don't know why I am only just writing a review now but my wife and I stayed at the Cullen as part of our Honeymoon in August 2010. Location was great - it was situated just about 15-20 minutes outside of Melbourne Central. Transportation was very conveniently located either a block up or down from the hotel entrance.

The room we had was a bit on the smaller side from what we are generally used to but it was clean and comfortable and uniquely decorated. Throughout the hotel you'll see pieces by Cullen - hence the name - though a lot of the pieces seem to be of Ned Kelly (or were we just seeing the same one all the time :)

Service was impeccable. Everyone was great in helping us with directions and ideas. We were even able to rent a SmartCar on site to get to various sites. I feel bad because we were not able to make it to the Penguin parade but there is always a next time and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
MattGuy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Thank you for your review, it's wonderful you chose us to help celebrate your honeymoon.

Many of Adam's 450 works of art that adorn the walls are part of a Ned Kelly series. He tells the story of Ned in his own words, from the Kelly gang scoping out a bank before a hold up right up to his demise. There are various information sheets and books around the hotel that run through these pieces, or any of our staff can give you a brief.

Its a shame you missed the penguins. Those little guys are very cute and seeing them so close is definately a story to take back home. Next time you're here we can program the GPS so you get down and back in time for a late supper.

We look forward to seeing you when you are next in Melbourne,