“Shame About The Amex Surcharge”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Como, Australia
“Shame About The Amex Surcharge”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Normally stay in the CBD and found this funky hotel a refreshing change. Artwork is great and rooms are spacious and comfortable with everything you need. Breakfast in the terrace was delicious. Unfortunately upon checkout I was slugged with a 3.5% surcharge for using my Amex card. Why do some hotels try to suck a few extra bucks out of you at the risk of losing a customer. The short sighted person who implemented this has obviously got no idea how to run a business and retain customers. This hotel is profiteering from this charge and should not get away with it. Unfortunately it totally ruined what was otherwise a good stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Dineman69
AliciaBrownCullen, Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Hello Dineman69,

I am gald to read that you enjoyed yor stay with us at The Cullen!

The credit card transaction fee is becoming common practice in hotels and restaurants accross Australia. While we do have a transaction fee, there is always the option to settle your account with cash or Eftpos on check-out, or direct deposit for guests who wish to pre-pay and avoid the fee. All our staff are more than happy to discuss these options with you for next time, please feel free to give us a call.

I hope to welcome you back to The Cullen soon,

Alicia Brown
The Cullen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Very cool hotel. Liked kitchen facility in room and staff were excellent providing recommendations on local attractions and a guide to the somewhat disturbing art...Also one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. Would not hesitate to recommend

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John B
AliciaBrownCullen, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear John B,

Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay at The Cullen. Whilst Adams work can sometimes be a bit confronting I am glad to hear that the team were able to educate you on the meaning behind some of the art work.

I agree our beds are comfortable! You can actually purchase one through the hotel, please don't hesitate to contact us should you like more information.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Cullen in the future.

Many Thanks,
Alicia Brown
The Cullen
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed just one night for our wedding night - so nice to stay somewhere with some character, cool artwork and everything we needed. We had a room with a lovely big balcony, and if we were staying longer we would have hung out in the sun all day on the sun lounges. Received a lovely card and some bubbles on arrival. The room was definitely a cut above the regular boring hotel room. There was a party going on on our floor but thankfully the music died down by about 11.30pm. Would recommend this hotel for sure.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
MattGuy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Dear Anth,

Allow me to once again congratulate you on your recent nuptuals, I'm so glad you chose The Cullen to spend your first night together as a married couple. It pleases me to hear you appreciated our small welcome gift, though I'm sure you had had enough champagne by the time you returned.

Myself and my team wish you well for the future and we hope to see you back with us again for your 1st anniversary.

Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I’m a Melbournian and have always struggled to recommend a good hotel for out-of-towners – now I have one! This is it- great location, amazing rooms (luxe but with personality) – neither corporate or prohibitively expensive.

We were there for a girls weekend and stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment. Loved it! Great space to hang out in, cool decor without trying too hard, lots of room, well equipped kitchen, great balcony, all the mod cons (ipod dock, coffee machine etc). My only quibble is the frosted glass bathroom doors- I’d much prefer complete privacy!

Beds are TO DIE FOR, cute, thoughtful staff with loads of personality (yes we would like a complimentary bottle of bubbles! yes, we would like a late checkout! Yes, please organise cabs for us!)

Great location: close to shopping, Prahran market, lots of bars and cafes. CBD only a 5-10 min cab ride too.

Other crappy Melbourne hotels – you’ve been put on notice!
Thanks all for the great stay!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
MattGuy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear LM2,

Its always nice to hear of locals enjoying our hotel as much as our guests from interstate and overseas. We have tried to incorporate 'Melbourne' into The Cullen in every way and I'm glad you would recommend us to your friends and family visiting our wonderful city. You are right, the beds are to die for (why would we have it any other way?) and are also for sale through our Guest Experience Desk - please contact me if you would like further information.

Overall I'm so pleased we were able to make your girls night out a special one. I hope to see you again soon.

Melbourne
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I recently stayed in both the Cullen and Olsen hotels in Melbourne and although owned by the same group the Cullen was far superior. The staff were much friendlier, the rooms much cleaner and the location just that little more central. Both hotels have very small gyms which is the only negative about the Cullen.

Room Tip: Try and book a suite on level 6, they are the ones with the big balconies and worth paying a few ext...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
MattGuy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear reviewer,

Its great to hear you have had the time to experience two of our properties here in Melbourne. We have designed each hotel to appeal to a different guest, really aiming to offer 'something for everyone'.

Im so glad you enjoyed your stay and see The Cullen as a fit for you. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sydney
Reviewed 29 January 2012

As it was voted one of the trendiest hotels in Australia by Tripadvisor my expectations were quite high before we got there.
Pros: -
Check in was good.
Location is great near train station, tranms, cafe and shops.
Very comfortable beds.
Loved the shower.

Cons:-
The frosted glass of the bathroom did not provide any privacy for a group of 3 that were staying. You could hear everything.
The bathroom door made a loud noise every time it was shut. We requested this to be looked at and was advised that maintenance was there that day, however after coming back after a day out the door was still the same and we were not advised what the outcome was from maintenance.
We had requested a room on a higher level as I am a light sleeper and didn't want to be woken by the trams that pass in front. At check in we were advised that the room on the higher level was "not up to their standards" and had to be recleaned? We ended up with a room on the second level.

For the amount of money that it cost per night I expected a bit more. I would not be staying again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Paras81,

It is true that two years in a row we have been voted the Trendiest Hotel in Asia Pacific by Tripadvisor, and I agree that with a title such as this comes a high expectation of service and facility. I'm sorry to hear that on this visit your expectations were not met.

I will certainly investigate the issue you had with our Maintenance department, we at The Cullen take the maintenance of the property very seriously and I can not imagine why your bathroom door was not repaired. Please accept my apologies and I hope the noise did not unduly affect your rest.

Regarding your requested room, while we aim to meet every guest request in room allocation, this can not always be guaranteed. We will never allow a guest to check-in to a room unless the cleanliness does meet our high standards, incorporating double inspections and random spot checks to ensure this happens. It is possible that on the day you arrived, your allocated room required additional cleaning and extra time to prepare it for arrival. Once again I apologise for this unfortunate outcome.

Im certainly glad you enjoyed our location in the vibrant Prahran and woke up to a refreshing and energising shower. The Cullen was the first of the Art Series Hotels to be built and I am pleased that we continued the same shower specifications accross the group after much positive feedback at opening.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here between Christmas and New Years, and it was surprisingly quiet. The hotel is very slick, but also very comfortable (especially the bed). The kitchenette in the room is a bonus - although watch out - if your window is open you mind find pigeons trying to join you for breakfast! I closed it just in time but if I'd been a few seconds later he would have wandered in (the window only opens a few inches but there is no flywire).

As others have mentioned, the bathroom walls are frosted glass, which doesn't leave much to the imagination, so you'll want to be on comfortable terms with your roommate.

We ate at the dumpling bar (good but expensive) once, but the rest of the time we ate on Chapel St (so much to choose from). The hotel is also a 15 minute walk from the Astor Theatre, which is well worth a visit for that true vintage cinema experience.

It's in a great location - right near tram stops that can take you to the city, or St Kilda, or even Richmond.

Staff weren't the friendliest people in the world but hey, maybe it was because we checked in on Boxing Day (I know how tired we were!). They were very efficient and happy for us to leave our luggage on the day we checked out.

Overall, incredible value for money (especially if you book through wotif).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Hi Rosie,

Im so glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for such a comprehensive review. It certainly sounds like you made the most of your time in Melbourne, even catching a movie at the Astor, a local favourite, and dining in Hu Tong.

Its great to hear you got out and experienced the local restaurants and bars. Chapel Street, as you have noticed, is full of eateries and offers something for every taste. Our location also lends us to many tram lines, offering easy access to the surrounding suburbs and CBD.

I hope to see you back with us soon,

The Cullen Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Chapel Street
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,348 reviews
Melbourne Parkview Hotel
#26 of 159 in Melbourne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,686 reviews

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!