First time in Melbourne and a friend has booked in The Cullen. He describes it and I say 'what the hell, looks kinda funky'.
Arrived early, couldn't check in til 2pm which I expected but they said they would try and get me in earlier and would call me. Get the call at 11.30am and bam! In my room, no extra charge. The room was clean and very funky with a bit of info on the artist, some prints of the artwork and very modern looking facilities. I liked that even though they are small rooms, you could still cook for yourself.
Room was quiet, water was hot, bathroom was modern and beyond clean, everything was perfect. I genuinely could not have asked for more.
But wait, there's more. The reception staff were very helpful and advised me (someone on their first trip to Melbourne) on some of the local foods, the ways of getting around and some of the things to do. They also helped book massages and other bits and pieces and they always remember who you are which for a hotel of this size, is pretty damn amazing. We had a couple issues with room service (which is handled by the restaurant, not by the hotel) but they were happy to fix up the issues and comp'd the breakfast!
Mistakes happen and they were happy to fix it, I don't have a reason to hold it against them and it didn't detract from the rest of the place.
Mini bar prices are great. Not as cheap as the local Coles but much cheaper than a servo or 7-11. I used the mini bar all the time just from convenience and because of the good pricing. The complimentary tea and coffee is all good quality (T2 teas and plunger coffee) and the wash products they provide you with (shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc) are all premium quality stuff that, if you had to pay for, would pay a premium for.
Everyone seems to be happy and more than willing to help. The whole hotel is clean, neat, very funky and very well presented. I don't feel the need to try anywhere else next time I'm in Victoria.
I have to say though, that the most helpful of them all was Matt the night shift duty manager. Always had a smile, always knew how to help, always willing to help, always willing to have a chat and help out with any issues. Total hottie too. But seriously. He deserves a medal helping getting me fed even after a few at the local establishment.
The location is perfect because the tram stops a minute down the road and goes all the way in to central Melbourne. You're a 5 minute walk from fantastic food and the whole experience is beyond great.
I would highly recommend the place and I will be going again. I don't want to risk anywhere else!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Prahran, Melbourne, The Cullen is inspired by Adam Cullen. Daring and unique, The Cullen features lashings of original artwork and prints by Australia’s most exciting contemporary artist, Adam Cullen.Sleep soundly in your Art Series Signature bed, then block out the morning or wake up to natural light and vibrant energy of Cullen works. Prepare breakfast using in room kitchenette facilities, spectacular views of Melbourne CBD, underground parking, state of the art gymnasium and two exciting restaurants ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Art Series - The Cullen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Art Series - The Cullen Hotel Melbourne
- Art Series - The Cullen Greater Melbourne/Prahran, Australia