“Fabulous!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Brisbane, Australia
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Absolutely loved staying at The Cullen..I have wanted to for ages and definitely not let down, the location is brilliant everything at your doorstop, great restaurants/cafes, shopping and best of all close to where my daughter lives!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 517 which I shared with my friend so 2 massive beds and bathroom in the middle and...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Greek first
Ballarat, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

This was my 6th or 7th stay at The Cullen, I love staying here, it's a trendy hotel, in a great location with fantastic rooms, brilliant art work and friendly staff. I booked my room at the last minute; unfortunately the room I usually book was not available, so I booked a cheaper room. Upon entering the room, I was pleasantly surprised to find we had been upgraded to the room which I usually book. For this I am very appreciative. I normally don't have any negatives to say about The Cullen but this time around I do....The room was really grubby. I am a little OCD when it comes to cleanliness, and that is why up to now I have continued to stay at The Cullen, the rooms are always very, very clean. I won't go into details, but let’s say most guests would've noticed the things that weren't up to standard hotel cleanliness. I won't let it deter me from staying again; hopefully this was a one off.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Our family of three stayed at this funky hotel for two nights. The room layout was great; two king beds, a table with 4 chairs, single lounging chair and a kitchenette which included a microwave, sink and basic cooking and serving items. The compact bathroom was of the "glass box" variety, which seems to be in vogue at the moment, but makes relaxing ablutions a little difficult for some. The convenience to Chapel street was fantastic, and meant we were able to walk with our young daughter to restaurants. It was also 50 metres from the tram stop that took us into the city. My only quibble is that one of the beds was located such that the air-conditioning was not effective for whoever slept in that bed, and the room felt airless because of that. Aside from that, we would stay here again. Lovely helpful staff (shout out to Fix-it Sarah), convenient location and comfort, coupled with the eye-popping artworks make this one a winner.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Excellent handy location very close to Chapel Street shopping.
Excellent service
Excellent rooms
Excellent value
I stayed in a studio room and loved everything about it from the artwork on the walls to the extremely comfy bed :)

Room Tip: Over looking Commercial Road so you can get in some people watching
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

This was my 5th stay in 6 months (I travel to Melbourne on business frequently) and arriving at the Cullen always feels like arriving at an oasis. It's calm, friendly, very comfortable, chaaracterful and the service is excellent. The food from the Gramercy downstairs is delicious and the coffee good. I don't even think about going anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnZF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I recently stayed at The Cullen and found the staff to be fantastic! They were all so friendly. I have to admit my favourite part of the stay apart from the very cool styling of the rooms was the bed. It was incredibly comfortable and the sheets were so soft. I found it very difficult to get up in the morning! I would highly recommend this hotel to business and leisure travellers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

First time in Melbourne and a friend has booked in The Cullen. He describes it and I say 'what the hell, looks kinda funky'.

Arrived early, couldn't check in til 2pm which I expected but they said they would try and get me in earlier and would call me. Get the call at 11.30am and bam! In my room, no extra charge. The room was clean and very funky with a bit of info on the artist, some prints of the artwork and very modern looking facilities. I liked that even though they are small rooms, you could still cook for yourself.

Room was quiet, water was hot, bathroom was modern and beyond clean, everything was perfect. I genuinely could not have asked for more.

But wait, there's more. The reception staff were very helpful and advised me (someone on their first trip to Melbourne) on some of the local foods, the ways of getting around and some of the things to do. They also helped book massages and other bits and pieces and they always remember who you are which for a hotel of this size, is pretty damn amazing. We had a couple issues with room service (which is handled by the restaurant, not by the hotel) but they were happy to fix up the issues and comp'd the breakfast!

Mistakes happen and they were happy to fix it, I don't have a reason to hold it against them and it didn't detract from the rest of the place.

Mini bar prices are great. Not as cheap as the local Coles but much cheaper than a servo or 7-11. I used the mini bar all the time just from convenience and because of the good pricing. The complimentary tea and coffee is all good quality (T2 teas and plunger coffee) and the wash products they provide you with (shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc) are all premium quality stuff that, if you had to pay for, would pay a premium for.

Everyone seems to be happy and more than willing to help. The whole hotel is clean, neat, very funky and very well presented. I don't feel the need to try anywhere else next time I'm in Victoria.

I have to say though, that the most helpful of them all was Matt the night shift duty manager. Always had a smile, always knew how to help, always willing to help, always willing to have a chat and help out with any issues. Total hottie too. But seriously. He deserves a medal helping getting me fed even after a few at the local establishment.

The location is perfect because the tram stops a minute down the road and goes all the way in to central Melbourne. You're a 5 minute walk from fantastic food and the whole experience is beyond great.

I would highly recommend the place and I will be going again. I don't want to risk anywhere else!

Room Tip: Sign up for their membership card. You get half price daily internet access and 20% off at the attac...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Adrian Z
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Chapel Street
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,267 reviews
Melbourne Parkview Hotel
#27 of 159 in Melbourne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,617 reviews

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!