“Great location and funky rooms”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We normally stay at the Rialto Intercontinental in the city but wanted to try something different.
The location was great, loads of shops, cafe's and restaurants at the doorstep and also close to 2 of the main gyms (Goodlife and Fitness First). The cafe/bar at the hotel was quite good too for cheap drinks or coffee.
We had a small suite with a balcony overlooking the main street, love having a balcony as you can open the doors and get some fresh air flowing in, unlike most of the larger hotel chains where the air is stale and your eyes get dry and red. Room was quite large and really funky with an artistic twist from Adam Cullen, a famous Australian artist (hence the name art series - the cullen).
The only downside was the bathrooms, very small and a bit transparent, if you turn the light on at night you will wake your partner (or just using the bathroom will wake your partner) as the walls are made of dimmed glass.
The price over the weekend was a bit steep as well, hard to justify for the value.

The bed was great, good quality mattress and large size, however it was a bit noisy on Fri and Sat night from the bars across the street.

You can rent scooters, bicycles and smart cars too straight from reception too which is quite fun.

In sum; great funky hotel in a vibrant location but a bit expensive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hi Linda,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us overall. Our beds are most certainly one of the main reasons people get a great nights sleep when they stay (you can also purchase them either from the hotel or the art series website).

While our bathrooms may not be to everyone's tastes I'm glad you enjoyed the overall space in the rooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Staff most welcoming - suite just perfect & big beds SO comfy.
Love the location, around corner from all that Chapel Street offers + trams.
Couldn't get enough Dumplings.
Restaurant downstairs great menu - just missed TV for watching Aust Open Tennis whilst enjoying drinks & tapas.

Room Tip: Discover the amazing rooftop deck with city views. A hidden secret.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Lorraine,

After working for the hotel for over 12 months I still find it hard to not eat ALL the dumplings!!

Glad you enjoyed all the hotel had to offer including some of our secret spots!!

Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night on labor day long weekend. Dropped my bags off early and parked my car underground as I was attending a wedding.

Reception staff were very friendly and provided prompt efficient service. I received a wakeup call at 11am on the day of check out which I did not ask for, however this did not detract from my overall impression, I understand these things sometimes happen.

Room was spacious and clean, and the minibar had a good selection of items at good prices.

When I made the boooking online there was an e'upgrade section at the end of the booking and I requested a late check out of 6pm as i was flying out late. I received this which was a fantastic help.

A big thanks to the Cullen Crew for making my stay more then enjoyable, and a huge thanks for the bottle of wine and the personalized welcome card, nice touch guys !!!

Will stay again next time I'm in town.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Tarky86,

Wow! is certainly looks like you made the most of the Long weekend here!!

So happy that you enjoyed your time with us! I will ensure your comments get passed on to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed for the 1st time and had a lovely room with our own private balcony. The only thing that let the room down was the cleanliness.

There were hairs on the couch and floor which was quite apparent. There were cobwebs on the inside of our balcony sliding door.

Otherwise, the room and the Art was awesome and of a high standard and the Service of the staff was great.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Had a fab long weekend at The Cullen. Reasonably priced, very helpful friendly staff and a beautiful room. Not the greatest towels in the world, but thats me being slightly nit-picky. Highly recommended, will definitely be back.

Hesserino,

So glad you enjoyed for stay with us over the long weekend. You will be glad to know that since your departure we have replaced all of our towels with brand new fluffy ones which are ore up to standard.

Can wait to have you back you you can give your verdict on them!!

All the best,

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Booked into this great hotel by our company travel agent for an overnight business trip. Room was of a very high standard, with kitchenette, mini bar and all the items found in a well spec'd hotel. Only downside was my room was facing a construction site, but that's not really something the Cullen has control over and I am sure construction will be completed soon. I will be recommending The Cullen for future business trips.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Hi Lathe_12,

Thanks so much for your comments. My apologies for the construction site but thank you for your understanding, unfortunately this is not something we can control.

I am glad that this did not taint your stay with us and I hope you got to raid the mini bar while you were here!

Regards,

Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

The wife and I visited Melbourne and usually stay in southbank (eg. crown, langham). We decided to check out something different this time and found The Cullen. The hotel is pretty funky with artwork all around. The rooms are really well done too with kitchenette nice furnishings and extremely comfortable bed. Only problem was the size of the bathroom and no bath. However, with the location you don't want to waste time having a bath anyway. The location is excellent across the road from Prahan market, easy 200m walk to Chapel street & all the shopping/entertainment and 500m to train station tram station out the front too makes getting places very easy. They also offer scooter and smart car hire to get out and about too but we ran out of time. I think our next trip to Melbs will definitely be staying here again

• Stayed: January 2014

Hi Mitch074,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am glad that you had a chance to get out and explore the local area and the bath issue did not cause too much of a problem. Our beds are all custom made for the Cullen and are available for sale through the website if you ever wanted to take a little piece of the Cullen home with you.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Ben

Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Adelphi Hotel
Adelphi Hotel
#2 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!