We normally stay at the Rialto Intercontinental in the city but wanted to try something different.
The location was great, loads of shops, cafe's and restaurants at the doorstep and also close to 2 of the main gyms (Goodlife and Fitness First). The cafe/bar at the hotel was quite good too for cheap drinks or coffee.
We had a small suite with a balcony overlooking the main street, love having a balcony as you can open the doors and get some fresh air flowing in, unlike most of the larger hotel chains where the air is stale and your eyes get dry and red. Room was quite large and really funky with an artistic twist from Adam Cullen, a famous Australian artist (hence the name art series - the cullen).
The only downside was the bathrooms, very small and a bit transparent, if you turn the light on at night you will wake your partner (or just using the bathroom will wake your partner) as the walls are made of dimmed glass.
The price over the weekend was a bit steep as well, hard to justify for the value.
The bed was great, good quality mattress and large size, however it was a bit noisy on Fri and Sat night from the bars across the street.
You can rent scooters, bicycles and smart cars too straight from reception too which is quite fun.
In sum; great funky hotel in a vibrant location but a bit expensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Prahran, Melbourne, The Cullen is inspired by Adam Cullen. Daring and unique, The Cullen features lashings of original artwork and prints by Australia’s most exciting contemporary artist, Adam Cullen.Sleep soundly in your Art Series Signature bed, then block out the morning or wake up to natural light and vibrant energy of Cullen works. Prepare breakfast using in room kitchenette facilities, spectacular views of Melbourne CBD, underground parking, state of the art gymnasium and two exciting restaurants ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Agoda, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Art Series - The Cullen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Art Series - The Cullen Hotel Melbourne
- Art Series - The Cullen Greater Melbourne/Prahran, Australia