“Great, Trendy little place.”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here to redeem a free "priority guest rewards" night and ended up staying on for an extra 2 nights.
Great, comfy rooms. A little squeezy with kids as well but we got by.
There's a tram stop out the front and market across the road which is very handy.
Staff we could not fault at all, they were all really helpful and obliging.
Will be back :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

EzG1,

I am thrilled to hear that you stayed longer than intended, it is a true testament to the team here at the hotel. I will make sure that I pass on the comments to them,

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Ben

Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have now stayed at all 3 art series properties (The Cullen, The Blackman & The Olsen), and I have got too say they are just the most impressive bunch of boutique hotels out there!

The rooms are trendy, the mattress is the best, and of course the kitchenette is always handy.

From all three properties, I have to say this hotel has the best decor - from the moment of entry into the hotel, to the hallways with a painting hanging every metre... pretty impressive! Oh and I loved the mid section with the hanging lights feature!

The room (we stayed in a balcony room) has a cozy feel to it and the blackout blinds make for a perfect sleep in or an afternoon nap.

The only few negatives I had was 1. the pillows were way too soft, head kind of sinks in all the way.. 2. Wanted to watch a movie of my USB and it wouldn't allow..the remote wouldn't press the 'ok' button and 3. there was no parking in the building - only staying a night it isn't much of a problem but when staying longer and you need the use of your car every now and then you've got to be moving it every couple of hours through a busy tiny street....... from 6pm there is no restrictions however and you can leave it for the night!

The hotel is in a great location and has all the shopping you could want and more only down the road... great little cafes and restaurants as well..!

We had room service ordering a couple of mains and were not that impressed with the food but that wasn't much of a bother because we hadn't come to the hotel purely for the food!

I hope to return to The Cullen in the future and hopefully they may be offering a couple of rooms with a spa tub on the balcony like The Olsen..! That would be perfect.

Next stop: Schaller Studios Bendigo!

Room Tip: Balcony room on an upper level would be perfect
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi impressed18,

Thank you so much for your kind words on your recent stay with us at the Cullen. It certainly looks like you enjoyed your time with us. This would have to be my favourite also (but I'm bias! )

Im sorry that our pillows were not firm enough, here at the hotel (and all the others, for next time) we do have firmer pillows on request, just let us know when you check in and we will have them replaced. The hotel also does have parking albeit limited, it in under the hotel and fully secure, this is provided as an addition fee of $25 per night.

Schaller Studios opens in Bendigo next week so make sure you take advantage of their opening specials on the art series hotels website!!

look forward to welcoming you back soon!!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The Cullen at Prahran is comfortable, convenient and has friendly efficient staff but no free wifi in rooms or even the lobby. The cost to use wifi at The Cullen is not excessive but there should be NO cost when the room tariff is by no means cheap. Travellers from overseas need wifi for communication and work and it is not helpful to be directed to a coffee shop down the road to access free wifi. Certainly the staff on reception managed my complaint in a professional manner and I was grateful BUT Australian hotels must enter the 21st century. The Cullen encourages its guests to write reviews of the hotel on Trip Adviser so I encourage The Cullen to listen to its travelling guests. Deal breaker becomes a deal maker.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lesley S

Hi Lesley S,

Thank you for your comments in regards to the Wifi situation, we are listening and we are working on offering a solution to the wifi, which has now become a must have when travelling regardless of reason for travel.

Your comments have been passed on to higher management and hopefully by the time you return we should have something in place.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Studio suite was fairly good size, well-equipped and clean. Bed and sofa are very comfortable and furniture are stylish. Some paintings indeed are a bit scary but not a problem to me, I think they are all funky and have a theme. Staff are friendly too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

molsn,

thanks for your comments about your recent stay with us at the Cullen. If you ever wanted to take a little bit of the hotel home, all of our bedding and Manchester is available for sale through the art series hotels website.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel is in a great neighbourhood close to all the shops and cafes in Prahan and South Yarra The hotel is funky and interesting without being pretentious. The room was spacious and really well set out. You can tell this is not an everyday hotel as every detail has been thought through. We did not eat at the restaurant downstairs but it was busy both nights we were there, particularly on Friday night when it appears it is the place to be seen
An absolute pleasure to stay at such a well designed hotel

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Hi Kaycee,

Thank you for your glowing review of the Cullen. We take pride in being cut from a different cloth than most hotels and its our passion and soul that makes us who we are.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

The best hotel we have ever stayed in. The beds, the pillows, the Art.. So much, so little time.. But we will be back every time we need a bed in Melbourne. Planning my ensuite to be just like your bathrooms.. See you again soon

• Stayed: March 2014

Glomesh,

I'm glad you loved the hotel so much, all of our bedding and most of our bathroom products can be bought on our art series hotels website and also on the EVO website.

I look forward to seeing you again very soon!!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I recently took a trip down to Melbourne with my lady fair,
we planned a weekend of dining and drinking...how debonair!
First stop the Cullen, the impressions were good
Lovely art, good service and well located neighbourhood.

The room we had booked was spacious and clean
Yes, I had spoiled her and I could see she was keen.
Off exploring we went in our rental chariot,
only too happy that we weren't staying at the Marriot.

A beautiful dinner and the wine flowed a plenty
"lets go back to the hotel" she said as the bottle drew empty.
With haste did we return to our chamber of love,
with plans to awake the neighbours above.

Alas my weekend of glee did not go as I had planned
The room was not conducive to being taken by hand
For in spite of the mood there was one major issue
Nowhere in the room could we locate a tissue!

The next morning we checked out with barely a smile
Staying at this hotel had not been worthwhile.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UnluckyinL0ve
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

UnluckyinL0ve,

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback here.
I ensure you, your words have fallen on a sympathetic ear.
Our housekeeping department is usually quite thorough.
I will be speaking to them about this tomorrow.

I hope this issue has not deterred you or your lady fair.
It is our intention to make this right, I swear.
If you find yourself in Melbourne again soon.
Whether it be next week or next full moon.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly.
I will ensure your next stay runs perfectly.

Ben Kershaw
Front Office Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Blackman
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#9 of 161 in Melbourne
Chapel Street
The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!