“I love this place”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Brisbane, Australia
“I love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

It's colourful and friendly and I find everything has just had that little bit of extra thought given to it to make their guest's stay perfect. Like....a piece of cake to greet you on your bed when you arrive with a hello note and the recipe. T2 teabags, a pillow preference choice, cool ideas of what to do when you are in town, transport info, restaurant options, friendly staff who never seem to be fazed with any request....the list goes on. The art studios are meticulously clean and I love the fun vibe of the rooms with their bold colours, funky art work and original space saving ideas. Love Love Love this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Samgood72,

Thank you so much for your words or praise!!

I will make sure the whole team know how much you enjoyed the hotel!!

I hope to see you again soon!

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Our check in time was 2pm. However we did not get to our room until 4:30pm. We were given 2 drink cards to keep us happy in the bar while we waited. But because we waited for such a long time we then approached staff to see how long the wait would be. After we had to wait some more they offered has free parking within their car park & late check out. We were finally given our room keys but only to find that when we got to our room they were still cleaning it! This is very unnerving, were they just lazy or was the room trashed from a previous guest? God I hoped it was cleaned properly!

We booked the Suite and I was horrified with the bathrooms. Just a bit of glass separating you from the room! Our view and balcony were also very dismal. We had a view of a new building being constructed & the balcony was so small it was uncomfortable to even be out there.

Glad to have been given a late check out time we decided to order room service for breakfast but surprise surprise no menu.
We then had hotel staff barging into our room to clean it as reception had notified them of our departure, even though we had not checked out as we were given a later check out time! Thankfully we were decent in towels and robes!!

At checkout the clerk then informs me I need to pay for the parking that was already offered to me for free.

Absolutely everything that could go wrong, did go wrong!
It was a waste of our time and money! We will never stay there again!!

Room Tip: We had a Suite which seemed like too much crammed into a small space. I would suggest trying the Jun...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Haylee M
Hayley M,

I sincerely apologise for your recent experience with us at the Cullen. This is certainly not the experience we want our guests to have while staying with us.

I have tried contacting you via phone however I beleive you prefer email. I have sent you an email following up on this review. My details are in the email should you wish to contact me about it.

thank you for your feedback.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel and room. Clever infrastructure and good options if you like to do your own meal.

The bathroom could be more private. Paid wifi is unacceptable nowadays. Location isn't the best, but transportation is easy.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Tiago,

Thanks for your review.

Im glad you enjoyed your stay overall.

I hope that we get to welcome you back soon

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

As in many boutique hotels, design is not always associated with comfort. Bed and pillow were very soft and bathroom with frosted glass walls (reduced privacy). The artworks spread through the halls and rooms give a special touch to the place. Prahran is a very nice neighborhood, close to downtown, full of bars and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bruno D,

Thank you for coming to visit us!

our bathrooms are not to everyone tastes but im glad our artwork and location made up for this.

Warm Regards,

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I arrived with some work colleagues very late after the last flight out of Sydney, so had to press a buzzer to get in. After a brief wait, a very friendly (and it was post midnight) and helpful member of staff opened the door and checked us in. I'd recently signed up for Priority Guest Rewards and the new membership card was waiting for me. The room was great with a view down into the street and plenty of room. Some interesting art on the wall - not my style (a headless dog?), but that's art... Great nights sleep in a very comfortable bed. Breakfast (after dealing with a grumpy waiter that didn't want to give me a big table - even though my colleagues were about to join me) was great, a la carte with a wide choice of dishes. At check out I asked the staff to print out some documents for me - absolutely no worries, which was nice and very helpful. A quick and easy checkout and we were off. I'd recommend this property and will likely stay again.

Room Tip: Sign up for a membership to Priority Guest Rewards before booking - you get an immediate discount on...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I work in visual arts, so I really enjoy staying at art-themed hotels, and I have to say that this was one of the best ever. Melbourne is a very arts-oriented city, and The Cullen has completely integrated art into their experience. One artist is featured throughout the hotel with art even in the elevator. They have maps of nearby galleries, art books in the room, and a wonderful design aesthetic. The hotel is beautifully modern and stylish. They have a tiny gym (with graffiti!), friendly front desk staff, and a great location in the Prahan neighbourhood.

Although you have to take a tram to get to the centre of the city and the museums, I would recommend this neighbourhood. There are a number of funky and reasonable restaurants, and upscale shopping a few blocks away.

Before you book, do join the free hotel membership program and you can save money on your stay. I absolutely loved our three night stay here, and would love to stay longer the next time!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Deepcover,

thank you so much for your kind words, We pride our selves in setting us apart by providing a different experience in each of our hotels. the next time you are down you may want to try the Olsen or the Blackman who also have different artists who have attached their names and art to provide 3 different experiences.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon
cheshire england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed for four nights and really enjoyed our stay. The room was fun and comfortable and the staff were really helpful and friendly. Our flight left in the evening and we were offered shower facilities with shampoo, towels etc. My only dislike was the bathroom. We stayed in a Junior Suite and the bathroom was tiny. This was not a big problem but I really didn't like the fact it was glass with only a short space between the bed and the toilet. Also the door was not floor to ceiling so definitely not private. The hotel is in an excellent position opposite Prahan Market and near the tram stop with plenty of good cafes and reataurants nearby.

Room Tip: Enquire about the bathroom. Some rooms have good city views. We had a large balcony but no sunshin...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Hi Spencerj,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us here at the Cullen. I'm glad the team were able to let you freshen up before you flight home. Our bathrooms are not to everyone's tastes, however I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of the location of the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Ben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Chapel Street
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,250 reviews
Melbourne Parkview Hotel
#27 of 158 in Melbourne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,606 reviews

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!