“More style than substance”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Reviewed 27 May 2014

First the good: The staff were nice, the rooms are comfortable, the restaurant downstairs was great (the best burger i have had in a long time, and nice coffee every morning). They also have a laundry on every floor for $2, which was useful cause i didn't pack enough gym clothes.
AND the BAD: I just had a standard room, as i was there for work i didn't want to pay for the upgrade, and the standard rooms are small. Also have a look at the artwork by Adam Cullen first, because if you don't want to look at diseased horses all day and night, then don't stay here, because that image is everywhere. What i found most unpleasant was the perfume that was suffused through the hotel, the strongest in the lobby and lift but penetrated the room such that all my clothes in my suitcase when i got home had this perfumed taint to them. It was one of those "On trend" perfumes that you can't ignore, like sleeping in an Abercrombie and Fitch store. Also the "State of art gym" is like 4 pieces of equipment.

What was also good is if you sign up to the "art series" club, on the website, you get cheaper rates, half price internet and 20% off the restaurant if you dine in, so definitely worth doing, if you can stand the art of Adam Cullen and unpleasant perfumes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

On arriving after our Wedding we were disappointed that we were not congratulated by the hotel staff and were I fact treated quite rudely. We had prebooked late checkouts and room upgrades at the hotel months in advance so of they were available we could stay later. These weren't even mentioned at checkout and I feel the whole process was just a waste of time. Apart from that, the girl at check in didnt even hand our credit card back she kept putting everything down on the counter which we found very unfriendly... And we were given no information regarding our regular checkout and there was nothing about the checkout time in the room which just made our stay stressful and confusing.

When we got in the room there was nothing special or congratulatory which as a couple spending their wedding night you do hope to expect, knowing that other hotels like Crown go to so much effort. But nothing - didn't even have toothpaste.

Got to sleep around 11.30PM then were woken at 1AM by people yelling outside our door in the hallway. Tried to ignore it but these people then ended up in the room next to us and were loud and obnoxious way until 2AM. Called reception and they said they had already to them to be quiet... But obviously that didn't work.

Overall I am just so disappointed. We looked through hotels all over Melbourne and chose The Cullen and honestly it was just a terrible end to such a perfect wedding day. I wish we had gone elsewhere. Somewhere the hotel cares about it's customers. The Cullen could have done a million things to make this experience memorable or special for us but instead did nothing. All we got was noise and unfriendly service.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ng91
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Ng91,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience on your wedding night. It was disappointed to hear that your special night was not how you expected it to be. I sincerely apologise for this. This is certainly not he type of experience we wish our guests to have when staying with us.

I would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you in person either via email or over the phone. My direct telephone number is +61 3 9098155 and my email is ben_kershaw@artserieshotels.com.au

Please fell free to contact me at your earliest convenience so I can get some further information from you and to over a personal apology.

Regards,

Ben Kershaw
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 22 May 2014

It's colourful and friendly and I find everything has just had that little bit of extra thought given to it to make their guest's stay perfect. Like....a piece of cake to greet you on your bed when you arrive with a hello note and the recipe. T2 teabags, a pillow preference choice, cool ideas of what to do when you are in town, transport info, restaurant options, friendly staff who never seem to be fazed with any request....the list goes on. The art studios are meticulously clean and I love the fun vibe of the rooms with their bold colours, funky art work and original space saving ideas. Love Love Love this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Samgood72,

Thank you so much for your words or praise!!

I will make sure the whole team know how much you enjoyed the hotel!!

I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Our check in time was 2pm. However we did not get to our room until 4:30pm. We were given 2 drink cards to keep us happy in the bar while we waited. But because we waited for such a long time we then approached staff to see how long the wait would be. After we had to wait some more they offered has free parking within their car park & late check out. We were finally given our room keys but only to find that when we got to our room they were still cleaning it! This is very unnerving, were they just lazy or was the room trashed from a previous guest? God I hoped it was cleaned properly!

We booked the Suite and I was horrified with the bathrooms. Just a bit of glass separating you from the room! Our view and balcony were also very dismal. We had a view of a new building being constructed & the balcony was so small it was uncomfortable to even be out there.

Glad to have been given a late check out time we decided to order room service for breakfast but surprise surprise no menu.
We then had hotel staff barging into our room to clean it as reception had notified them of our departure, even though we had not checked out as we were given a later check out time! Thankfully we were decent in towels and robes!!

At checkout the clerk then informs me I need to pay for the parking that was already offered to me for free.

Absolutely everything that could go wrong, did go wrong!
It was a waste of our time and money! We will never stay there again!!

Room Tip: We had a Suite which seemed like too much crammed into a small space. I would suggest trying the Jun...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Haylee M

Hayley M,

I sincerely apologise for your recent experience with us at the Cullen. This is certainly not the experience we want our guests to have while staying with us.

I have tried contacting you via phone however I beleive you prefer email. I have sent you an email following up on this review. My details are in the email should you wish to contact me about it.

thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel and room. Clever infrastructure and good options if you like to do your own meal.

The bathroom could be more private. Paid wifi is unacceptable nowadays. Location isn't the best, but transportation is easy.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Tiago,

Thanks for your review.

Im glad you enjoyed your stay overall.

I hope that we get to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 10 May 2014

As in many boutique hotels, design is not always associated with comfort. Bed and pillow were very soft and bathroom with frosted glass walls (reduced privacy). The artworks spread through the halls and rooms give a special touch to the place. Prahran is a very nice neighborhood, close to downtown, full of bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Bruno D,

Thank you for coming to visit us!

our bathrooms are not to everyone tastes but im glad our artwork and location made up for this.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I arrived with some work colleagues very late after the last flight out of Sydney, so had to press a buzzer to get in. After a brief wait, a very friendly (and it was post midnight) and helpful member of staff opened the door and checked us in. I'd recently signed up for Priority Guest Rewards and the new membership card was waiting for me. The room was great with a view down into the street and plenty of room. Some interesting art on the wall - not my style (a headless dog?), but that's art... Great nights sleep in a very comfortable bed. Breakfast (after dealing with a grumpy waiter that didn't want to give me a big table - even though my colleagues were about to join me) was great, a la carte with a wide choice of dishes. At check out I asked the staff to print out some documents for me - absolutely no worries, which was nice and very helpful. A quick and easy checkout and we were off. I'd recommend this property and will likely stay again.

Room Tip: Sign up for a membership to Priority Guest Rewards before booking - you get an immediate discount on...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Adelphi Hotel
Adelphi Hotel
#1 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!