“Superb central hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Brisbane, Australia
“Superb central hotel”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I stayed four nights in June 2014 in an apartment room with kitchen, table and chairs and sofa. Great attention to detail in the rooms and even though the artist Adam Cullen can be a bit ‘raw’ at times, the artwork in the rooms and hotel has been carefully chosen so as not to offend anyone. Very close to everything you could wish in Prahran, endless possibilities for eating and shopping. All staff were excellent and very helpful. The hotel also has a small vehicle available for hire. Would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
DandJS,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience during for recent stay. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the team in Gramercy. Adam had a very individual way for painting.

Next time you are down you will have to take our hot wheels for a spin!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Greek first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Fantastic, modern hotel that I would happily stay in again. Staff were great on check in, room was incredible, clean and well stocked with amenities and to top it off the the room rate was exceptional. Highly recommended for a hotel slightly out of the hustle and bustle of Melbourne CBD and home to a delicious restaurant....Gramercy!

Room Tip: Whilst the view of Melbourne CBD is great, I would opt for a room at the back of the property...espe...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We booked four rooms on a Saturday night due to the hotels convenience within the location of the bar we were using for my sisters 30th.
As I work in the industry and planned this far in advance I contacted the hotel numerous times to confirm everything was in order.
Unfortunately my aunt fell ill and was no longer able to attend so I rang the hotel, told them out of courtesy and let them know we knew we had to pay.
We had also pre arranged car parking. Upon my calling to cancel the extra room, I was told that if they could resell it, they would not charge us and to be mindful that there was a crane blocking the road and to call back later in the day to check about the parking.
On our way to the hotel at 4pm, we rang again and they told us to just speak with the construction site and they would allow us through as we are with the hotel.
Unfortunately, when we arrived this was not the case and we had to leave the car two streets away.
Upon check in, we had the RUDEST man on front desk. When I asked him about rhe parking he said "we only say what we are told to say we don't find any of this out". He also said we only had three rooms. That was fine.
When we went upstairs, there was a cupcake addressed to me and not my sister so while a nice touch, I confirmed the details on email so many times it should have been correct.
When my parents arrived at the hotel, they were told (by the same guy as before) we had 4 rooms and that we had to pay for it anyway did we want to use it?
As we had a triple room, my father came and asked me and I said sure. We went downstairs and said we would use the fourth room because we had to pay. He said that we couldn't have it. We were so confused. He said we still had to pay but we couldn't have the room. We said we wanted the room if we were paying. He said he had sold the room. We said 'so you still need us to pay for something we cannot have?' He said the policy was strict and they could "double dip" if they wanted to. Upon hearing these exact words I was so shocked. As I work in wholesale travel this was disgusting. I asked for his managers business card and he refused me. He said he would only give me his card.
In the end I just walked away.
To top off the night, we returned to the hotel to a young lady from the club vomitting in the doorway of the hotel and the young lady in turn let her in to use the bathroom which is obviously kind of her but considering no one else was on reception and you needed to swipe in, I did not feel this was ideal especially considering a young man was complaining he had things stolen from his room when we were checking out.
Rooms are tiny although a little stylish. The room service we ordered way too expensive for what you get.
Do not stay here unless you know your fellow traveller ridiculously well as the glass panels mean that you can see and hear everything they are doing in the bathroom.
Check out was difficult and so many issues with swipe tags. I do not understand why this hotel is 5 star and I would not sell it to my clients.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank antonialivestotravel
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
antonialivestotravel,

Thank you for your feedback.

My sincerest apologies for your recent experience while staying with us.

I have contacted you via email to discuss this further.

Regards,

Ben Kershaw
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Cool boutique hotel. Part of the art series hotel. location is great, rooms cool. The only downside is no doorman to help you with your luggage. Great shopping and a farmers market close by. There is a really good dumpling restaurant in the hotell. Dont quite remember the name but i think its Hutong.

Would highly recommend this hotel if you like art and is a fan of smaller scale boutique hotels. There is no pool in the hotel and since the hotel is quite small, you dont get any view.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
amandatickell,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will ensure your comments are passed on to Hu-Tong, I'm glad you enjoyed their food.

I will also ensure that the team are offering assistance with baggage in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have absolutely fallen in love with this hotel.
So much character and effort put in to the rooms. It is by no means just a hotel room. It is SO much more!
Very glad I stayed here and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
HI ShanaHooper,

Thanks so much for letting us know you enjoyed your stay! We pride ourselves on offering something that is a little different and by the sounds of it you loved it!!

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

55db average noise level peaking up to 80db inside room with windows and curtains closed until 3 am.

Night manager agrees its a regular complaint that guests cannot sleep because of noise from the bar across the road in particular rooms.

Spoke directly to hotel prior to booking. Not warned. It's theft renting this room out for any purpose other than dance parties.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank nopenname
nopenname,

My sincerest apologies for the noise you experienced during your stay with us.
While we try and control most factors of our guests stay sometimes it is out of our control. I have been in meetings with surrounding businesses to ensure that noise levels are kept in check.

From what I understand you were offered a discount on check out for the noise. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to return at another date and I will ensure your reservation is looked after.

Regards,

Ben Kershaw
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Had such a pleasant trip here with my partner
Was a pleasant and easy check in
Beautiful beds
Presentation was perfect
Easy access to work in the morning as we were on a business trip
And great value for money

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Zoe K
Hi Zoe K!

Thanks so much for reviewing! The team will be thrilled with your feedback!

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Ben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Blackman
Chinatown
Ovolo Laneways
Ovolo Laneways
#14 of 160 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!