“Amazing!”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

A change in work arrangements over the weekend led to an impromptu stay at The Cullen Hotel, Prahran. The moment we stepped through the doors we were welcomed by very friendly and helpful staff. We were a little disappointed that there were no balcony suites available for an upgrade that we had requested, however, it didn't prove to be an issue as our room was amazing and above our expectations. Great vibe, functional amenities and mini bar at reasonable prices. Oh and we have never slept on a more comfortable bed in a hotel before, amazing.
We also dined at Gramercy Bistro for both dinner and breakfast which just added to the whole experience; great food, staff were attentive and polite. Just easy.
A very relaxing weekend, thank you!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
CoryNJ, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Hello Laura C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us. Hopefully next time we are able to accommodate your upgrade request and you get to experience one of our balcony rooms.

Our bed's are very comfortable, if you ever decide you want that comfort in your home let us know! Art Series Signature Beds are for sale, and we ship all over Australia.

Cory Norris-Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Great Fun and Funky hotel, we Really enjoyed our stay and the Staff were so amazing and helpful!
We're from Sydney and i brought the trip away for my boyfriend for his B'day and upon arrival he was greeted with a little birthday cupcake and a hand written card which was really sweet and totally unexpected.

The hotel is close to some amazing cafes and great shopping. With its modern features and art work around the building we both fell in love with Adam Cullen the artist we even purchased a few books at the hotel! Thnks for a great stay, We will definitely be back very soon!

Hi Aimee_xo,

Thank you for your kinds words, I am happy we were able to make your boyfriend's birthday weekend memorable! It is always great to hear that someone has fallen in love with Adam's work after staying with us! We are hoping to have Cullen prints up for sale again soon, maybe you can add to your collection next time?

Cory
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My partner and I booked the Cullen Hotel after joining the Priority Rewards loyalty group and seeing the hotel listed as a member. Originating in Sydney and being regular patrons of boutique hotels such as the QT, we thought that a trip to Melbourne and the opportunity to visit one of the Art Series Hotels would be a fantastic way to spend the weekend.

We arrived to the hotel after a late flight at around 10:30 and had made sure to confirm with management that we would be checking in quite late. Upon arrival we had to wait a good 10 minutes for the woman at the clearly visible reception to acknowledge our existence and open the door for us. Usually, not an issue but given the temperature was barely 5 degrees it seemed rude to keep us waiting. Checkin took longer that expected because the woman serving us assumed that given our age (20 and 23) there must have been some mistake with the booking which was for the more expensive Deluxe Studio Suite. We were told at this stage that the funds for our stay had been frozen, as well as a security deposit ($100AUD), such is the norm.

We stayed in one of the Deluxe Studio Suites which featured not only artworks by Adam Cullen but also a unique artwork by Stormy Mills completed during his stay in the room. Though one of the higher tier rooms available, we where pleasantly surprised but how affordable the room was for our 2 night stay ($401AUD). The room was spacious and impeccably kept, with comfortable and stylish decor. The bathroom was a good size complete with a bath that double as a spa. The bedding was very comfortable, and unlike most other hotels, all of the mini-bar products where affordable and close to RRP. The incredible artwork and atmosphere made this one of our most favourable stays, and at this stage, our recommendation to anyone travelling to Melbourne.

Upon checkout, we where told by a stone faced employee that we needed to pay an additional fee of $453.50 (AUD) for the room, adding up to a whopping $936.50 in total charges! Given that we had nothing from the mini-bar, hadn't requested wifi, had paid in cash for our breakfast at the restaurant and only had one meal order for room service we had absolutely no idea where the additional charge had come from. Unable to even muster an apology or explanation we where told nothing more than "someone should have told you about that policy during check-in", which wasn't the case. It could not have been an issue of paying for the room as the charge for the 2 nights accommodation had already been frozen, so why the additional charge?! Neither of us have a credit-card so after a good 30 minutes of moving funds around from different accounts and disgruntled phone calls we were able to pay, only to be met by rolling eyes and the impression that we are severely imposing on staff- who hadn't even bothered to explain why we are paying twice for one room.

Overall the room, location, atmosphere, amenities and artwork of the Cullen Hotel are worthy of their 5 star rating. However the fiasco at checkout and the consistently rude and unhelpful service mean left an extremely bad taste in our mouths, meaning that we most likely will not return.

2 Thank AbbeyTravel
Amy_Moylan, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Erin M,
Thank you for your review and recently staying at the Cullen Hotel.
I am delighted to read your feedback regarding your Deluxe Artist Suite which features one off artwork specially designed by Stormy Mills, this room as you have noted is something rather special.
Secondly thank you for your comments regarding the comfortable bedding, stylish design and impeccable housekeeping standards I truly appreciate these comments.
However I am very concerned with the level of service you received from our Front Desk staff on various occasions, this is certainly not the expectation I have of my team and how I would expect situations regarding our pre authorisation policy to be handled.
Allow me to offer my sincere apologies for the experience you have had during your stay with us at the Cullen. This is most definitely not the type of stay we wish our guests to have and is unacceptable.

As this is quite a serious complaint I would like to discuss this with you over the phone in person and discuss in more detail your experience and findings from my investigation of this case .
I can be contacted at the hotel all week on 9098 1555 or emailed directly on amy_moylan@artserieshotels.com.au
I would dearly like the opportunity to speak with you in person further should you wish,
Look forward to speaking with you,

Amy Moylan
Hotel Manager
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Cullen is such a cool hotel in a great convenient location. Great area and close to all that South Yarra has to offer and the tram outside the door to take you to the city. It is so nice to stay where the extra little things are though of..lovely tea bags, great bath products, wonderful, colourful and well designed beds and furnishings, not to mention the art! The service is great and everything with a sense of humour and lack of prevention. Gotta love that.

Room Tip: The junior suite we had was extremely well equipped and would be ideal for a longer stay.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
CoryNJ, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hi Di J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of all the wonderful things our neighbourhood has to offer!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Great service , food and rooms at a reasonable price. I will be back. I thought that having a room facing commercial rd it would be noisy but I could not hear a thing. The staff were very helpful and there is handy parking below.

• Stayed July 2014
CoryNJ, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hi Ben O,

Thank you for your great review! I am glad you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and I would have to agree our beds are very comfy!

We look forward to having you back.

Devonport, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was my first stay at the Cullen, I have stayed at the Blackman on numerous occasions and I would say that it is far superior than the Cullen. The room was very standard, the bathroom was a little intimidating as it is fairly see through, glad I was staying with family and not just a friend!.
Biggest disappointment was the food at the café downstairs, very ordinary and uninspiring. We did however have a meal at the Chinese restaurant connected to the hotel and it was impressive. I can see why lots of people have issues with the car park but I guess its first in best dressed, very small! Not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kim S,

I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations while staying with us. We strive to offer a unique and memorable experience for all our guests, and I am disappointed we were not able to do this for you.

I will pass on your comments to management in Gramercy, and hopefully next time your experience will be more inspiring.

I sincerely hope we can have you back at The Cullen, and if you decide to give us another try please contact me via email (cory_norrisjones@artserieshotels.com.au) and I will personally look after your reservation.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in a junior penthouse room, the king size bed is made up of 2 king single beds pushed together which makes it uncomfortable to lay in the middle or next to your partner.
After leaving our room early the next morning leaving a 'make up our room' sign on the door we arrived back to our room to relax around 3pm to find out our room was still the way we had left it some 6 hours before.
We also had to move the large pots on our balcony planted with large yucca plants so we could take in the views as they were all grouped together up against the edge of the balcony.
After mentioning this to reception she had offered to throw in our parking for free and talk to management about it. On our final account the parking had not been deducted and we just paid it. Management never approached us our whole stay but could only place a note in our room when they new we were out along with a bottle of Chardonnay that we don't drink hoping that this would make everything okay.
We have stayed at other art series hotels before and had a fabulous stay each time. This stay at The Cullen was disappointing and would not recommend staying there.

• Stayed June 2014
AliciaBrownCullen, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Dean W,

Thank you for your review - I have sent you a personal email to follow up.

I very much look forward to your reply and having the opportunity to discuss with you in person.

Kindest Regards,

Amy Moylan
Hotel Manager
The Cullen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Blackman
Chapel Street
The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel
Central Business District
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!